prototype to a final version.
http://customlinuxsolutions.com/truck/

Matt
Re: MythTV goes mobile! [ In reply to ]
On Friday 04 April 2003 02:52 pm, Matthew Brichacek wrote:
> That's right, some weirdo put a tv in his car and now myth controls the
> on board entertainment.
> More pics and details to follow in the next few weeks as I move from
> prototype to a final version.
> http://customlinuxsolutions.com/truck/

This is truly, truly, truly impressive.

Remote?

- thor
Re: MythTV goes mobile! [ In reply to ]
This is quite impressive, but I have a few questions:
- One picture shows playback of TV. How are you capturing?
- How do you have the controls working?
- Where's the PC? Is a compact shuttle-type case tucked in some
ingenious place or a full tower loose in the bed?

Last and most important:
- When you get in an accident while watching Dilbert, can I have the
surviving pieces? ;-)

--Mike

Re: MythTV goes mobile! [ In reply to ]
Right now it's just my ATI remote that I stole from the living room
mythtv box. Now I need to find/create a better remote for mobile uses.
For now it works great though. In the future I hope to put in 2 more
tv's in the headrests for back seat passengers, but not until I recoup
from spending so much on the head unit.

Quick specs for those who are interested.

Head Unit - Alpine CVA-1003 (alpine has pretty good tech support, they
told me they will send the specs for the unit so I can tie the units
buttons in with some key functions).

Myth Machine - An HP Omnibook 510 that used to be my work laptop w/ DVD
and 12V power supply (make sure to ground the outside shield of the
video-in cable for any non-12V systems)

Thats about it for now, the speakers are all stock chevy speakers but I
am looking into some infinity replacements and an MTX subwoofer.
(someday)

Matt

Matthew Brichacek <mmbrich@ldl.fc.hp.com>
Re: MythTV goes mobile! [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 13:27, Michael Peay wrote:

> This is quite impressive, but I have a few questions:
> - One picture shows playback of TV. How are you capturing?

I'm not, that pic was of the first time I got it working and it was
playing live tv through the wireless and from the backend in the
basement.
Now though, I have it set up to transfer the recordings from the main
backend every night, and I am going to work on a script this weekend
that will also get the DB entries for the files and put them in the
mobiles DB.

> - How do you have the controls working?

The trusty ATI X10 remote. I hope alpine will actually release the
specs (like they said they would) so I can get the in-dash units
controls working.

> - Where's the PC? Is a compact shuttle-type case tucked in some
> ingenious place or a full tower loose in the bed?

It's a laptop and I plan to make a cover/mounting system that will hide
it into the blazers headliner in the back.

> Last and most important:
> - When you get in an accident while watching Dilbert, can I have the
> surviving pieces? ;-)

no, it's in my will to get buried with all my gear :)

Matt

Re: MythTV goes mobile! [ In reply to ]
Matthew Brichacek wrote
> That's right, some weirdo put a tv in his car and now myth controls the
> on board entertainment.
> More pics and details to follow in the next few weeks as I move from
> prototype to a final version.
> http://customlinuxsolutions.com/truck/

I wish I had more to discuss on this, but I just have
to say that this is pretty darn cool. :)

-Chris
Re: MythTV goes mobile! [ In reply to ]
Chris Palmer wrote:
> Matthew Brichacek wrote
>
>>That's right, some weirdo put a tv in his car and now myth controls the
>>on board entertainment.
>>More pics and details to follow in the next few weeks as I move from
>>prototype to a final version.
>>http://customlinuxsolutions.com/truck/
>

> I wish I had more to discuss on this, but I just have
> to say that this is pretty darn cool. :)

What seems to be missing here is a convenient way to transfer
files from the home database to the truck database. I have
a "test" environment and a "production" system and sometimes
want to move recordings from one to the other. I've been
ftp-ing the files and manually INSERTing into the 'recorded'
database.

What strikes me as a more convenient way would be to modify
MythWeb to have links for the .nuv files that includes the
recorded fields in the HTTP headers and sends the file as the
body. A helper app for .nuv files could open the local database
per mysql.txt to insert the local recorded entry and write the
file to the RecordFilePrefix dir. This way I could simply go to
the web page and click on the link to transfer the file onto my
other system.

I probably should have worked on this already. I'm familiar with
HTTP, RFC822 and MIME headers, and CGI but would need to learn
PHP to do this the right way as part of MythWeb rather than as a
separate CGI.

-- bjm
Re: MythTV goes mobile! [ In reply to ]
> What seems to be missing here is a convenient way to transfer
> files from the home database to the truck database. I have
> a "test" environment and a "production" system and sometimes
> want to move recordings from one to the other. I've been
> ftp-ing the files and manually INSERTing into the 'recorded'
> database.
>
> What strikes me as a more convenient way would be to modify
> MythWeb to have links for the .nuv files that includes the
> recorded fields in the HTTP headers and sends the file as the
> body. A helper app for .nuv files could open the local database
> per mysql.txt to insert the local recorded entry and write the
> file to the RecordFilePrefix dir. This way I could simply go to
> the web page and click on the link to transfer the file onto my
> other system.

I haven't tried mythweb yet, but this sounds like an interesting way to
accomplish what I was after.
Unfortunately I broke the laptop in the process of setting this all up
this weekend, so now I am stuck with nothing until I can either fix this
one or get a new one.

Matt
Re: MythTV goes mobile! [ In reply to ]
Using something like rsync could be a better way to transfer files from "home" to truck. This would work if you had the disk space. It will only copy files that have changed and will delete files from the "truck" if they are deleted from the "Home" system. One system is considered a master and the other a slave.
Rsync is probably already in your distribution. If not you can find it on rsync.samba.org.
Cheers,

Roy

RE: MythTV goes mobile! [ In reply to ]
How about rsync and a wireless connection? so, when you park it in the
garage it will sync itself.

RE: MythTV goes mobile! [ In reply to ]
So far this is the way I have been doing it. The laptop in the truck
has a built in wireless that connects when I pull in the garage. Then
every night a cron job kicks off and syncs the recordings I want
according to the channel they were on (eg: 1045 and 1013). After that I
have to copy the entries out of the main backends db and edit them for
the truck and upload those. Otherwise I can run the dbrebuild script in
the contrib directory, but I never know the file names so I have a list
of blank names in the db.
The other thing I could do is rysnc the files and then change the names
of the files according to the main db, this will let me watch them with
mplayer in the truck but I loose all the great functionality of myth.
Since I was busy blowing up hardware this weekend I didn't even have a
chance to sit down and start a script. Once the hardware situation is
fixed I will start looking back into it.

Matt