Mailing List Archive

Recording Groups and Categories
I'm trying to get things setup to keep the kids to their own shows.

Basically, I've read about Recording Groups, and that appears to be
the area that I'll use to get this setup.

But, this creates some questions for me. First off, I'm on FC5, Myth
.20, atrpms, etc... but that shouldn't matter with this question.

1. I've got it set to ask for the group when you go into Watch
Recordings, but it also shows Categories... So, even if I get all the
kids shows into "Kids", and I password protect "All Programs", then
the kids can still choose things like "Action", etc... that are under
the Categories area???

2. Am I even understanding how this works correctly? I should
password protect All Programs (default so that everything's
protected), and then put kids shows in another group?

3. How do you "edit" the Recording Groups? Or can you?

4. When trying to "tag" recordings and change several at once, it is
only doing it one at a time. This is per
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html . It says that you
can use '/' to tag recordings, then change them all at once with I ,
however when I do that, it only changes 1 at a time...?

I've seen a bunch of posts, and even some info in the wiki, but this
appears to be a little unclear. Could someone that really, really
knows it help us parents out?

Thanks so much!
Re: Recording Groups and Categories [ In reply to ]
Trey Thompson wrote:
> I'm trying to get things setup to keep the kids to their own shows.
>
> Basically, I've read about Recording Groups, and that appears to be
> the area that I'll use to get this setup.
>
> But, this creates some questions for me. First off, I'm on FC5, Myth
> .20, atrpms, etc... but that shouldn't matter with this question.
>
> 1. I've got it set to ask for the group when you go into Watch
> Recordings, but it also shows Categories... So, even if I get all the
> kids shows into "Kids", and I password protect "All Programs", then
> the kids can still choose things like "Action", etc... that are under
> the Categories area???
>
> 2. Am I even understanding how this works correctly? I should
> password protect All Programs (default so that everything's
> protected), and then put kids shows in another group?
>
> 3. How do you "edit" the Recording Groups? Or can you?
>
> 4. When trying to "tag" recordings and change several at once, it is
> only doing it one at a time. This is per
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html . It says that you
> can use '/' to tag recordings, then change them all at once with I ,
> however when I do that, it only changes 1 at a time...?
>
> I've seen a bunch of posts, and even some info in the wiki, but this
> appears to be a little unclear. Could someone that really, really
> knows it help us parents out?

While I don't password protect mine, what I do is use Recording Groups.
You can tag and modify multiple by using "M" after the tag and choosing
the playlist options. I have my Watch Recordings prompt for the group
filter when entering (in the setup) so I can pick Kids or "My Shows",
etc. I have it set to only show Recording Groups, no categories. Other
than password protecting, it sounds like what you want to do.

Kevin
Re: Recording Groups and Categories [ In reply to ]
Thanks!

How do I remove the categories from showing up?

Re: Recording Groups and Categories [ In reply to ]
> While I don't password protect mine, what I do is use Recording Groups.
> You can tag and modify multiple by using "M" after the tag and choosing
> the playlist options. I have my Watch Recordings prompt for the group
> filter when entering (in the setup) so I can pick Kids or "My Shows",
> etc. I have it set to only show Recording Groups, no categories. Other
> than password protecting, it sounds like what you want to do.

How do I have it only show Recording Groups, no categories?
Re: Recording Groups and Categories [ In reply to ]
Trey Thompson wrote:
>> While I don't password protect mine, what I do is use Recording Groups.
>> You can tag and modify multiple by using "M" after the tag and choosing
>> the playlist options. I have my Watch Recordings prompt for the group
>> filter when entering (in the setup) so I can pick Kids or "My Shows",
>> etc. I have it set to only show Recording Groups, no categories. Other
>> than password protecting, it sounds like what you want to do.
>>

> How do I have it only show Recording Groups, no categories?

Should be in the TV settings on the frontend somewhere.

Kevin
Re: Recording Groups and Categories [ In reply to ]
> > How do I have it only show Recording Groups, no categories?
> >
> Should be in the TV settings on the frontend somewhere.

The only page I can find that's relevant is the Playback section of TV
Settings, the page titled "View Recordings (Recording Groups)".

The only options I have are:
Password required to view all recordings
Default group filter to apply
Always prompt for initial group filter
Save current group filter when changed
Show filter name instead of "All Programs"
Show 'Live TV' recordings when using "All Programs"
Default View
Sort Titles

I can't find it anywhere... Sorry to keep asking, but this is really
important to my wife.
Re: Recording Groups and Categories [ In reply to ]
> > > How do I have it only show Recording Groups, no categories?
> > >
> > Should be in the TV settings on the frontend somewhere.
>
> The only page I can find that's relevant is the Playback section of TV
> Settings, the page titled "View Recordings (Recording Groups)".
>
> The only options I have are:
> Password required to view all recordings
> Default group filter to apply
> Always prompt for initial group filter
> Save current group filter when changed
> Show filter name instead of "All Programs"
> Show 'Live TV' recordings when using "All Programs"
> Default View
> Sort Titles
>
> I can't find it anywhere... Sorry to keep asking, but this is really
> important to my wife.

Does anyone know where to tell it to NOT display Categories in the
Recorded Programs area so that I can limit my kids to the Kids group?
Re: Recording Groups and Categories [ In reply to ]
On 11/30/06, Trey Thompson <treythompson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know where to tell it to NOT display Categories in the
> Recorded Programs area so that I can limit my kids to the Kids group?

In case you're still searching, I don't think this is in 'Setting' any longer?

Go to Watch Recordings
Select Menu >> Change Group View
Deselect 'Show Categories'
Save Group View.
Re: Recording Groups and Categories [ In reply to ]
* On Sun Dec 03, 2006 at 06:55:03PM +0000, Stutty wrote:
> On 11/30/06, Trey Thompson <treythompson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone know where to tell it to NOT display Categories in the
> > Recorded Programs area so that I can limit my kids to the Kids group?
>
> In case you're still searching, I don't think this is in 'Setting' any longer?
>
> Go to Watch Recordings
> Select Menu >> Change Group View
> Deselect 'Show Categories'
> Save Group View.

Yes, the setting would have been very overly complicated with the recent
addition of the Watch List and Search Rules on the Watch Recordings screen.
It is much easier to just select the ones you want right on the Watch
Recordings screen and get immediate feedback (before you even hit 'Save') of
what your change will do.

Even with the old setting, if the kids knew how to get to the menu, they could
change the setting and change the Recording Group or view a different category.

I don't think there is a way to pin the 'viewers' to a specific Recording Group
or category although it would be a nice feature. Look for it to be added to SVN
by the time my 6 month old daughter gets old enough to work the remote. ;)

--
Chris
Re: Recording Groups and Categories [ In reply to ]
> On 11/30/06, Trey Thompson <treythompson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone know where to tell it to NOT display Categories in the
> > Recorded Programs area so that I can limit my kids to the Kids group?
>
> In case you're still searching, I don't think this is in 'Setting' any longer?
>
> Go to Watch Recordings
> Select Menu >> Change Group View
> Deselect 'Show Categories'
> Save Group View.

Those options don't seem to exist. It looks like if I press "M" on
the Recordings screen, I can choose from preselected views. Doesn't
look like I can select or de-select anything.
Re: Recording Groups and Categories [ In reply to ]
> * On Sun Dec 03, 2006 at 06:55:03PM +0000, Stutty wrote:
> > On 11/30/06, Trey Thompson <treythompson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Does anyone know where to tell it to NOT display Categories in the
> > > Recorded Programs area so that I can limit my kids to the Kids group?
> >
> > In case you're still searching, I don't think this is in 'Setting' any longer?
> >
> > Go to Watch Recordings
> > Select Menu >> Change Group View
> > Deselect 'Show Categories'
> > Save Group View.
>
> Yes, the setting would have been very overly complicated with the recent
> addition of the Watch List and Search Rules on the Watch Recordings screen.
> It is much easier to just select the ones you want right on the Watch
> Recordings screen and get immediate feedback (before you even hit 'Save') of
> what your change will do.
>
> Even with the old setting, if the kids knew how to get to the menu, they could
> change the setting and change the Recording Group or view a different category.
>
> I don't think there is a way to pin the 'viewers' to a specific Recording Group
> or category although it would be a nice feature. Look for it to be added to SVN
> by the time my 6 month old daughter gets old enough to work the remote. ;)
>
> --
> Chris

Thanks for the update, Chris. Would it be a simple solution to just
allow a config to not show categories, and to only show the default
Recording Group unless the PIN is entered? That way, since the setup
is PIN protected, and the All Programs is PIN protected, the "Kids"
Recording Group would be the only thing accessible, wouldn't it?
Re: Recording Groups and Categories [ In reply to ]
* On Sun Dec 03, 2006 at 03:03:43PM -0600, Trey Thompson wrote:
> > On 11/30/06, Trey Thompson <treythompson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Does anyone know where to tell it to NOT display Categories in the
> > > Recorded Programs area so that I can limit my kids to the Kids group?
> >
> > In case you're still searching, I don't think this is in 'Setting' any longer?
> >
> > Go to Watch Recordings
> > Select Menu >> Change Group View
> > Deselect 'Show Categories'
> > Save Group View.
>
> Those options don't seem to exist. It looks like if I press "M" on
> the Recordings screen, I can choose from preselected views. Doesn't
> look like I can select or de-select anything.

He was describing a feature in current SVN which it sounds like you're
not running. If you're not running SVN and are running 0.20 or prior,
then you should have a setting in mythfrontend's setup area.

--
Chris
Re: Recording Groups and Categories [ In reply to ]
* On Sun Dec 03, 2006 at 03:05:23PM -0600, Trey Thompson wrote:
> Thanks for the update, Chris. Would it be a simple solution to just
> allow a config to not show categories, and to only show the default
> Recording Group unless the PIN is entered? That way, since the setup
> is PIN protected, and the All Programs is PIN protected, the "Kids"
> Recording Group would be the only thing accessible, wouldn't it?

Yeah, it's not that complicated, it's just not high up on anybody's
TODO list right now (if it even is on anybody else's). You might see
something like this come about with the multi-user work that was done
during the Google Summer Of Code, but I can't say for sure since I
haven't looked over those changes much if any so far.

--
Chris
Re: recording groups and categories [ In reply to ]
Le 25/12/2020 à 21:38, Ian Cameron a écrit :
> On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 at 18:02, Klaus Becker <colonius47@gmail.com
> <mailto:colonius47@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> But I see that categories do not work very well, so I created my own
> groups. Maybe categories work fine in english, but I use mythtv in
> german and I have only german recordings.
>
> Is there a way to manage categories (rename, create, delete and so on) ?
>

> How are you getting your listings?  Are you using XMLTV?

I have no grabber, but I get program listings for german tv. There is no
problem about that.

I use Debian, xmltv is not installed.

I tried some grabbers for german or european tv, but they do not work.

> If so, some grabbers (like tv_grab_uk_tvguide) have built in category
> mapping.  If your grabber does not have such a feature and you're using
> XMLTV, maybe tv_augment might be of use?
>
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man1/tv_augment.1p.html
> <http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man1/tv_augment.1p.html>
> https://github.com/XMLTV/xmltv/blob/master/filter/augment/augment.rules
> <https://github.com/XMLTV/xmltv/blob/master/filter/augment/augment.rules>
>
> You could also see if xmlstarlet is available in your distro repo and
> postprocess your XML with that.

xmlstarlet is available in Debian, but is it useful in my case ? I don't
think so, because I don't use a grabber.

cheers

Klaus

Re: recording groups and categories [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 at 16:49, Klaus Becker <colonius47@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have no grabber, but I get program listings for german tv. There is no
> problem about that.

Ah, you mean you're using EIT data?

I think the only way to transform category values then would be by running
a regular job to do it via the DB with some SQL.

Cheers, Ian
Re: recording groups and categories [ In reply to ]
On 26/12/2020 17:27, Ian Cameron wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 at 16:49, Klaus Becker <colonius47@gmail.com
> <mailto:colonius47@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I have no grabber, but I get program listings for german tv. There
> is no
> problem about that.
>

> Ah, you mean you're using EIT data?
>
> I think the only way to transform category values then would be by
> running a regular job to do it via the DB with some SQL.
>
> Cheers, Ian

Don't known if you have tried it already but Schedules Direct list
Germany as one of their supported regions. I haven't heard anyone
mention they are using it so don't know what the quality of the EPG data
is like. They do a 7 day free trial if you want to test it out before
committing to a years subscription.

Paul H.
Re: recording groups and categories [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 5:42 PM Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net> wrote:

> Don't known if you have tried it already but Schedules Direct list Germany as one of their supported regions. I haven't heard anyone mention they are using it so don't know what the quality of the EPG data is like. They do a 7 day free trial if you want to test it out before committing to a years subscription.

"Quality" is in the eye of the beholder (and we all
have issues with some EPG providers and content
at least some of the time), but selecting a random
lineup from Schedules Direct for Germany resulted
in at least some shows have a category of "science
fiction" (the original example).

FWIW, there are other paid EPG providers that
operate in the EU region. Their EPG "quality"
may be different than Schedules Direct (depending
on whether those providers are paying the same
sources, using different ones, or whether they
curate the data differently).

Of course, for those that are used to free EPG,
paying for such content may be something they
do not wish to do, and I can certainly understand
that position (even though I do pay, since having
good data is really the only way for schedulers
to make good decisions).
Re: recording groups and categories [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 17:47:30 +0100, you wrote:

>Le 25/12/2020 ? 21:38, Ian Cameron a ?crit?:
>> On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 at 18:02, Klaus Becker <colonius47@gmail.com
>> <mailto:colonius47@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> But I see that categories do not work very well, so I created my own
>> groups. Maybe categories work fine in english, but I use mythtv in
>> german and I have only german recordings.
>>
>> Is there a way to manage categories (rename, create, delete and so on) ?
>>

>> How are you getting your listings?? Are you using XMLTV?
>
>I have no grabber, but I get program listings for german tv. There is no
>problem about that.
>
>I use Debian, xmltv is not installed.
>
>I tried some grabbers for german or european tv, but they do not work.

If you need to process the EIT EPG data before it gets into the
database, you can use epgsnoop to fetch the EPG data in XMLTV format.
There are complications in doing this, as epgsnoop needs to be able to
use a tuner, and it conflicts with mythbackend using the same tuner. I
do something like this, but I do not have tuner conflicts as I have
spare tuners dedicated to fetching EPG data (my DVB-T2 and DVB-S2
cards have 8 tuners each). As long as you are not using live TV much,
so there is no sudden demand for a tuner going to happen, then you
could use something like my "gaps" program to find out when the
recording schedule has 10 minutes for epgsnoop to run in.

However, while grabbing the EIT data this way does allow for
processing it (which is very necessary here in New Zealand), you would
lose the up to date EIT data that tells you about late schedule
changes just before they happen.

I also have an SQL script that does some editing of the EPG data when
it is in the database. I found it was easier to do some edits with
simple SQL rather than writing complicated code to do those edits
before the data got into the database. That works well for me as that
script is run immediately after the EPG data goes into the database.
But doing it for EIT data collected all the time by mythbackend would
be problematic, as the script would need to be run frequently all day.