Mailing List Archive

Increased CPU load whilst recording?
Just noticed whilst recording that the load on the CPU seams to be a
lot higher than I'm used to seeing. I ran "top" and saw that
mythbackend was registering at ~ 25%-30% CPU%. I'm sure that on my
machine I'm used to seeing it take ~5%. In fact the reason I noticed
was because when the recording started, it significantly hit the
performance of the Mplayer playback I was watching at the time, and
I've never had that happen before.

All the recording profile settings are the same as they always where,
nothing else has changed other than me updating my copy from the CVS at
the weekend for the first time in about three weeks. Has anything
major changed that might have caused this (I'm using the MPEG-4
recording setting btw) ?

I know this is a really, well, "up in the air" email, with no real
numbers or any kind of data to support my claim, so I appreachiate it's
far from being a useful email. I just thought I'd better flag that I
think I'm seeing a 5-fold performance hit :(

Ta,
--Dave

http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Re: Increased CPU load whilst recording? [ In reply to ]
On Monday 10 March 2003 03:32 pm, Dave wrote:
> Just noticed whilst recording that the load on the CPU seams to be a
> lot higher than I'm used to seeing. I ran "top" and saw that
> mythbackend was registering at ~ 25%-30% CPU%. I'm sure that on my
> machine I'm used to seeing it take ~5%. In fact the reason I noticed
> was because when the recording started, it significantly hit the
> performance of the Mplayer playback I was watching at the time, and
> I've never had that happen before.
>
> All the recording profile settings are the same as they always where,
> nothing else has changed other than me updating my copy from the CVS at
> the weekend for the first time in about three weeks. Has anything
> major changed that might have caused this (I'm using the MPEG-4
> recording setting btw) ?
>
> I know this is a really, well, "up in the air" email, with no real
> numbers or any kind of data to support my claim, so I appreachiate it's
> far from being a useful email. I just thought I'd better flag that I
> think I'm seeing a 5-fold performance hit :(

I'm not seeing this here -- might want to check to see if you didn't recompile
in debug mode or something.

Isaac
Re: Increased CPU load whilst recording? [ In reply to ]
--- Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu> wrote: > On Monday 10 March 2003
03:32 pm, Dave wrote:

> I'm not seeing this here -- might want to check to see if you didn't
> recompile
> in debug mode or something.

Ah, yes, you're right. Even still, without DEBUG, it's still hitting
16-21%, which still isn't as good as it previously managed.

--Dave

http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Re: Increased CPU load whilst recording? [ In reply to ]

d> Ah, yes, you're right. Even still, without DEBUG, it's still hitting
d> 16-21%, which still isn't as good as it previously managed.

What kind of hardware do you have and what kind of resolution
are you using? I think you said "default mpeg4", but I see ~40-50%
CPU with 640x480 mpeg4 (~25-35% for 480x480) for live TV on a 1.8GHz
Athlon. I think this is consistent with what other people have
reported.
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gtgj@pacbell.net