Mailing List Archive

?'s on GF4 Video Card (tv out) + Other assortied thoughts
All,

Okay, I've got my RH8.0 media server up and running.
I've got the TV out signal hooked to an RF modulator,
through a low pass signal piped into my entire home
cable network. I'm sitting on the couch mucking
around with the ATI RF remote... and suddenly a couple
serious questions poped into my head. Please forgive
me for not really paying too much attention to these
before but.

1. On the ATI remote, how the 'heck' do you get it to
Map one of the special buttons to the "Escape" key!
I've insmod ati_remote, and I hacked up the
avview.modfile and put it in .xmodparc and it seems to
work. But I can't get the Escape or Space key to
work? Any ideas/Suggestions? Am I missing a module I
need to add? FYI, I didn't add usbmouse because I'm
not interested in using the mouse feature... just want
a simple RF remote

2. The TV out quality Blows major chunks. I mean its
utterly horriable. Now, I tried direct from TV on
card to S-Video on a TV and its the same. When I tune
my beatup VCR hooked to my Sony TV... the Macrovision
starts its fight... but I get a gorgeously clean B/W
picture on the TV. So, my big question is WTF! How
do I get a nice clean, crisp picture on my TV's?
Right now, I have a green bar on the left side of the
tube, I get an annoying flickering scan line that
sweeps down, and the picture is lots of over saturated
color and really really blurry. Ie... .any writting
on the screen looks terrible (blurred and muddied).
Is this what everyone's seeing, or has anyone managed
to get a GF4 card to produce a really nice picture?
Do I have to play with Modeline's again? or is there
some trick? Any suggestions (and yes the nvtv program
doesn't seem to work with my card... tried it
already).

3. I've noticed that I'm having a lot of problems
with old recordings (mythtv) whenever I switch
versions/etc. Between
V.4 and V.8(CVS) what's changed? When I try to
play the old recordings mythtv pukes out. Do I just
need to
renecode the old recordings to divx or whatever
with the patched mplayer and clean up the database to
be done
with it. Or is the patch only going to work on
the older recordings? Also, anyone have a link to the
mplayer source
that works with the patch 0.90rc1? I can't find
it any more... the lowest I've found is rc2.

Thanks,
Chuck

P.S.: Sorry Issac, I sent this from the wrong email
account... Feel free to disregard it.

P.S.2: How's got a good TV out quality and what setup
are they using? I mean, I want something that's going
to be on par with the new Replay TV (5000's) they look
pretty spiffy in 480p on a nice HDTV set.

http://shopping.yahoo.com
Re: ?'s on GF4 Video Card (tv out) + Other assortiedthoughts [ In reply to ]
I've got a Geforce 440 MX running in mine without any problems. The TV out
works great. mine is a PNY branded one..

Dave Madsen

Re: ?'s on GF4 Video Card (tv out) + Other assortiedthoughts [ In reply to ]
I've got the VERY same card. I've figured out how to do a TV-OUT CLONE
(so that my second head, the TV, clones the first head). It's an OK
setup; however, I need to run both at 640x480. I can set my monitor to
1024x768 and the TV to 640x480 but when I go to watch TV, myth starts in
full frame and the TV image gets cropped.

How did you get your TV-OUT to work? Are you doing a clone? If not, got
any pointers? Can I check out your XF86Config-4 file?

Jeremy

Re: ?'s on GF4 Video Card (tv out) + Other assortiedthoughts [ In reply to ]
If you are looking for really nice quality and no hassle check out the
AI tech web cable plus. Just an external converter. Great quality, and
has zero setup. Just make sure you use the included transformer and
don't use the optional power from the mouse port option, which caused a
little bit of flicker.

best,

cedar
Re: ?'s on GF4 Video Card (tv out) + Other assortied thoughts [ In reply to ]
Fyi,

Here's my XF86Config File....:

# File generated by xf86config.

#
# Copyright (c) 1999 by The XFree86 Project, Inc.
#
# Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any
person obtaining a
# copy of this software and associated documentation
files (the "Software"),
# to deal in the Software without restriction,
including without limitation
# the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish,
distribute, sublicense,
# and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit
persons to whom the
# Software is furnished to do so, subject to the
following conditions:
#
# The above copyright notice and this permission
notice shall be included in
# all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
#
# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY
OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
# IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES
OF MERCHANTABILITY,
# FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL
# THE XFREE86 PROJECT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES
OR OTHER LIABILITY,
# WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE,
ARISING FROM, OUT OF
# OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR
OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
# SOFTWARE.
#
# Except as contained in this notice, the name of the
XFree86 Project shall
# not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote
the sale, use or other
# dealings in this Software without prior written
authorization from the
# XFree86 Project.
#

#
# Refer to the XF86Config(4/5) man page for details
about the format of
# this file.
#

#
# Module section -- this section is used to specify
# which dynamically loadable modules to load.
#
#
Section "Module"

# This loads the DBE extension module.

Load "dbe" # Double buffer extension

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and
disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within
that module.
SubSection "extmod"
Option "omit xfree86-dga" # don't
initialise the DGA extension
EndSubSection

# This loads the Type1 and FreeType font modules
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"

# This loads the GLX module
Load "glx"
Load "dga"
Load "v4l"
EndSection

#
# Files section. This allows default font and rgb
paths to be set
#

Section "Files"

# The location of the RGB database. Note, this is the
name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").
There is normally
# no need to change the default.

RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are
concatenated together),
# as well as specifying multiple comma-separated
entries in one FontPath
# command (or a combination of both methods)
#
# If you don't have a floating point coprocessor and
emacs, Mosaic or other
# programs take long to start up, try moving the Type1
and Speedo directory
# to the end of this list (or comment them out).
#

FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
FontPath
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"

# The module search path. The default path is shown
here.

# ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"

EndSection

#
# Server flags section.
#

Section "ServerFlags"

# Uncomment this to cause a core dump at the spot
where a signal is
# received. This may leave the console in an unusable
state, but may
# provide a better stack trace in the core dump to aid
in debugging

# Option "NoTrapSignals"

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><BS> server
abort sequence
# This allows clients to receive this key event.

# Option "DontZap"

# Uncomment this to disable the
<Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> mode switching
# sequences. This allows clients to receive these key
events.

# Option "Dont Zoom"

# Uncomment this to disable tuning with the xvidtune
client. With
# it the client can still run and fetch card and
monitor attributes,
# but it will not be allowed to change them. If it
tries it will
# receive a protocol error.

# Option "DisableVidModeExtension"

# Uncomment this to enable the use of a non-local
xvidtune client.

# Option "AllowNonLocalXvidtune"

# Uncomment this to disable dynamically modifying the
input device
# (mouse and keyboard) settings.

# Option "DisableModInDev"

# Uncomment this to enable the use of a non-local
client to
# change the keyboard or mouse settings (currently
only xset).

# Option "AllowNonLocalModInDev"

EndSection

#
# Input devices
#

#
# Core keyboard's InputDevice section
#

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Keyboard1"
Driver "Keyboard"
# For most OSs the protocol can be omitted (it
defaults to "Standard").
# When using XQUEUE (only for SVR3 and SVR4, but not
Solaris),
# uncomment the following line.

# Option "Protocol" "Xqueue"

Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled
(eg, with xset(1))
# Option "Xleds" "1 2 3"

# Option "LeftAlt" "Meta"
# Option "RightAlt" "ModeShift"

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard,
modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults). For example,
for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
# Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can
use:
# Option "XkbModel" "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout
setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# or:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your
capslock and
# control keys, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"

# These are the default XKB settings for XFree86
# Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
# Option "XkbLayout" "us"
# Option "XkbVariant" ""
# Option "XkbOptions" ""

# Option "XkbDisable"

Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
# Option "XkbModel" "pc98"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"

EndSection

#
# Core Pointer's InputDevice section
#

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
# Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"

# When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines,
and uncomment
# the following line.

# Option "Protocol" "Xqueue"

# Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech
mice. In
# almost every case these lines should be omitted.

# Option "BaudRate" "9600"
# Option "SampleRate" "150"

# Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft
mice
# Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds
(default is 50ms)

Option "Emulate3Buttons"
# Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"

# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech
mice

# Option "ChordMiddle"

EndSection

#
# Other input device sections
# this is optional and is required only if you
# are using extended input devices. This is for
example only. Refer
# to the XF86Config man page for a description of the
options.
#
#
# Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "Mouse2"
# Driver "mouse"
# Option "Protocol" "MouseMan"
# Option "Device" "/dev/mouse2"
# EndSection
#
# Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "spaceball"
# Driver "magellan"
# Option "Device" "/dev/cua0"
# EndSection
#
# Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "spaceball2"
# Driver "spaceorb"
# Option "Device" "/dev/cua0"
# EndSection
#
# Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "touchscreen0"
# Driver "microtouch"
# Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
# Option "MinX" "1412"
# Option "MaxX" "15184"
# Option "MinY" "15372"
# Option "MaxY" "1230"
# Option "ScreenNumber" "0"
# Option "ReportingMode" "Scaled"
# Option "ButtonNumber" "1"
# Option "SendCoreEvents"
# EndSection
#
# Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "touchscreen1"
# Driver "elo2300"
# Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
# Option "MinX" "231"
# Option "MaxX" "3868"
# Option "MinY" "3858"
# Option "MaxY" "272"
# Option "ScreenNumber" "0"
# Option "ReportingMode" "Scaled"
# Option "ButtonThreshold" "17"
# Option "ButtonNumber" "1"
# Option "SendCoreEvents"
# EndSection

#
# Monitor section
#

# Any number of monitor sections may be present

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "TV"

# HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
# HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete
values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY. REFER TO
YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

HorizSync 30 - 50

# HorizSync 30-64 # multisync
# HorizSync 31.5, 35.2 # multiple fixed sync
frequencies
# HorizSync 15-25, 30-50 # multiple ranges of sync
frequencies

# VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
# VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of
discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY. REFER TO
YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

VertRefresh 60
Gamma 1.45

EndSection

#
# Graphics device section
#

# Any number of graphics device sections may be
present

# Standard VGA Device:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Standard VGA"
VendorName "Unknown"
BoardName "Unknown"

# The chipset line is optional in most cases. It can
be used to override
# the driver's chipset detection, and should not
normally be specified.

# Chipset "generic"

# The Driver line must be present. When using
run-time loadable driver
# modules, this line instructs the server to load the
specified driver
# module. Even when not using loadable driver
modules, this line
# indicates which driver should interpret the
information in this section.

Driver "vga"
# The BusID line is used to specify which of possibly
multiple devices
# this section is intended for. When this line isn't
present, a device
# section can only match up with the primary video
device. For PCI
# devices a line like the following could be used.
This line should not
# normally be included unless there is more than one
video device
# intalled.

# BusID "PCI:0:10:0"

# VideoRam 256

# Clocks 25.2 28.3

EndSection

# Device configured by xf86config:

Section "Device"
Identifier "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
# Driver "vesa"
Driver "nvidia"
#VideoRam 64000
# Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

#
# Screen sections
#

# Any number of screen sections may be present. Each
describes
# the configuration of a single screen. A single
specific screen section
# may be specified from the X server command line with
the "-screen"
# option.
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen 1"
Device "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
Monitor "TV"
DefaultDepth 16
option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"

Subsection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "800x600" "640x480"
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection
Subsection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "800x600" "640x480"
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection
Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "800x600" "640x480"
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection
EndSection

#
# ServerLayout sections.
#

# Any number of ServerLayout sections may be present.
Each describes
# the way multiple screens are organised. A specific
ServerLayout
# section may be specified from the X server command
line with the
# "-layout" option. In the absence of this, the first
section is used.
# When now ServerLayout section is present, the first
Screen section
# is used alone.

Section "ServerLayout"

# The Identifier line must be present
Identifier "Simple Layout"

# Each Screen line specifies a Screen section name,
and optionally
# the relative position of other screens. The four
names after
# primary screen name are the screens to the top,
bottom, left and right
# of the primary screen. In this example, screen 2 is
located to the
# right of screen 1.

Screen "Screen 1"

# Each InputDevice line specifies an InputDevice
section name and
# optionally some options to specify the way the
device is to be
# used. Those options include "CorePointer",
"CoreKeyboard" and
# "SendCoreEvents".

InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

EndSection

What I'm thinking is I need to add some Modelines to
get it to work right. Either that or I'm super picky
or something... why am I getting such an awful picture
out of it. Its not sharp, oversaturated color and
text is super blury. Plus an annoying green bar on
the left side of the tube.

-Chuck