Mailing List Archive

'You don't have any channels defined in the database'
I get this error when running mythepg at step 9.3 of initial setup
(http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.3)

I searched the archives and the closest match to this problem suggested
doing a make distclean which I did, then I rebuilt myth again
(http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.4) but I get the same
problem still.

I am also concerned that my capture card is not setup correctly...

If I ignore the above error and run mythtvfrontend it says:
default is defined, but isn't attached to a card input

and if I hit Watch TV:
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
Can't open video device: /dev/video
open video:: Is a directory
VIDEOCSAUDIO: Bad file descriptor

If I go to Hardware Browser both the capture card and video card say
Device=N/A

How can I check my capture card works in Linux without using myth or should
I just hold tight until I figure out the rest?

Thanks,
Alex
Re: 'You don't have any channels defined in the database' [ In reply to ]
Alex-

You should be able to check that your card is working by using xawtv in
XWindows. It's just a TV-viewing app, but it should tell you if your card
is configured correctly with v4l.

-Jeff
Re: 'You don't have any channels defined in the database' [ In reply to ]

> You should be able to check that your card is working by using xawtv in
> XWindows. It's just a TV-viewing app, but it should tell you if your
> card
> is configured correctly with v4l.

If this test succeeds you might try setting up your video card in
mythtv setup as /dev/video0 rather than /dev/video
that seems to be an issue for some people. Don't know if it will help
you though.

good luck

cedar
Re: 'You don't have any channels defined in the database' [ In reply to ]
So when I run mythfilldatabase it insists on getting data for all the
cable channels, even though I set it up for broadcast antenna. I have
run 'setup' and 'tv_grab_na --configure', but it still gets all the
cable channel info.

Also, I have upgraded xmltv to the newer 0.5.7, but still get a seg
fault after it gets one day of data, but doesn't actually put anything
in the database. It did successfully fill up the temp file with all the
XML output from tv_grab_na, however.

So, assuming that I am *not* using the CVS version of MythTV, what are
my options? I'm running release 0.7 because I had issues in trying to
get the CVS version working...

Thanks,
-Mike

--
Michael J. Sherman | Software Developer
Digital Sandbox, Inc. | http://www.dsbox.com/
Re: 'You don't have any channels defined in the database' [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 12 February 2003 04:57 pm, Michael J. Sherman wrote:
> So when I run mythfilldatabase it insists on getting data for all the
> cable channels, even though I set it up for broadcast antenna. I have
> run 'setup' and 'tv_grab_na --configure', but it still gets all the
> cable channel info.

Edit the xmltv config in ~/.mythtv/[videosourcename] that you gave it during
setup to disable any channels you didn't disable when you initially set
things up.

> Also, I have upgraded xmltv to the newer 0.5.7, but still get a seg
> fault after it gets one day of data, but doesn't actually put anything
> in the database. It did successfully fill up the temp file with all the
> XML output from tv_grab_na, however.
>
> So, assuming that I am *not* using the CVS version of MythTV, what are
> my options? I'm running release 0.7 because I had issues in trying to
> get the CVS version working...

Either use CVS mythtv, or use xmltv 0.5.6 with the patch Matt mentioned on the
-dev list the other day that makes it use the old style tv listings, or one
of the two different ways of fixing the segfault that were posted to this
list.

Isaac
Re: 'You don't have any channels defined in the database' [ In reply to ]
Isaac Richards wrote:
>>Also, I have upgraded xmltv to the newer 0.5.7, but still get a seg
>>fault after it gets one day of data, but doesn't actually put anything
>>in the database. It did successfully fill up the temp file with all the
>>XML output from tv_grab_na, however.
>>
>>So, assuming that I am *not* using the CVS version of MythTV, what are
>>my options? I'm running release 0.7 because I had issues in trying to
>>get the CVS version working...
>

> Either use CVS mythtv, or use xmltv 0.5.6 with the patch Matt mentioned on the
> -dev list the other day that makes it use the old style tv listings, or one
> of the two different ways of fixing the segfault that were posted to this
> list.

I'm using xmltv 0.5.6 now, and I applied the patches mentioned. Seems
to work somewhat, in that it doesn't seg fault, but I get about eight DB
insert errors per day parsed because the endtime param is NULL, so the
query has something like ... 1026,2003021923000, , "Show title", ...
The blank argument (endtime) after the starttime is creating an invalid
SQL insert statement.

Looks like in the XML output from tv_grab_na, many of the <programme>
elements are missing the stop attribute, but there's no case to handle
that in the filldata.cpp where the INSERT statement is created. I added
some code to filldata.cpp above the INSERT statement output to assume
that if there is no stop time, use the start time and add an hour. At
least it seems to work now.

-Mike