Mailing List Archive

TiVo remote... what receiver?
Hi,

I bought a Philips TiVo remote to use with MythTV because I love its ergonomics and it has every button I need and not many extras.

I also bought the Creative Infra Receiver (with supplied remote) and hoped to use it for the receiver. Unfortunately I can't get them to work together. I've got the Creative working with its own remote but not the TiVo remote. In a Windows test pgm I downloaded and ran, it did recognize codes coming from the Tivo, but with all the lirc utils it doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Note: the Tivo is supported in the lirc list of remotes (under philips) so there must be some receiver it works with, right?

Assuming I need to buy / build a new receiver, what do you suggest might work? I'm open to building the one from the parts list, or buying some other receiver that will hopefully work better than the Creative!

Thanks for the suggestions!
JC
Re: TiVo remote... what receiver? [ In reply to ]
I just built a homebrew receiver, it was fairly easy (and cheap).

Previously I was using the IR receiver that came with the TV card
(Pinnacle PCTV Pro), but I wanted one that was internal only. This new
one connects to the internal COM2 port on my EPIA M and fits inside the
front of a Cubid 2688 (where the front USB ports used to be).

When I hooked up the homebrew receiver, I found that the lircd.conf file
that I was using didn't work anymore. I had to make a new one using
iirecord. I also had to run iirecord in raw mode or it wouldn't work
(gave the very useful "Something is wrong" message). Now it works very
well, I can use the remote from 22 feet (~7 meters?) away (maybe more, I
hit a wall :-)

So you may be able to get your Tivo to work with your Creative IR receiver
but you might have to roll your own lircd.conf. Pour through all the lirc
docs, including how to use mode2, and see if you are even getting a
signal. Then go from there.

Larry

Re: TiVo remote... what receiver? [ In reply to ]
I had good luck building my own receiver. Works really really well.
Never misses a keypress. And it was surprisingly easy. It would have
taken 15 minutes to solder together if I hadn't insisted on fitting the
whole circuit inside a DB9 connector. As is, it only took me 90 minutes
and now I have a sweet receiver that is tiny. I got all my parts from
radioshack, including the actual ir sensor which has a new part number,
so be persistent (they will tell you they don't have it). If you need a
comprehensive parts list I could dig that up for you when I get home
from work.

good luck,

cedar

Re: TiVo remote... what receiver? [ In reply to ]
> I got all my parts from
> radioshack, including the actual ir sensor which has a new part number,
> so be persistent (they will tell you they don't have it).

I was not so persistent and they were busy selling cell phones instead
being an electronics store. So I found the IR receiver at Newark
Electronics for about $1 US, plus shipping of course. 1-800-463-9275 -
they were extremely helpful and fast. Ask for Vishay TSOP 1738. I got
the rest of the stuff from Jameco since I work right by them but I
probably could have gotten it from Newark as well.

> If you need a
> comprehensive parts list I could dig that up for you when I get home
> from work.

If you can find the new RadioShack IR part number, please forward it to
lirc folks so they can update their website.

Thanks,
Larry
Re: TiVo remote... what receiver? [ In reply to ]
I'll post my parts list here tonight (late) when I get home from work.
I'll also email the lirc people.

best,

cedar

Re: TiVo remote... what receiver? [ In reply to ]
I'd definitely like to get that parts list, cedar. I haven't been able to
locate everything from LIRC parts list. As far as the IR receiver module,
that is part # 276-640. Here's the URL to it on radioshack's site:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F006%5F002%5F002%5F000&product%5Fid=276%2D640

--
Jason Ramey
webmaster@permutation.org

Re: TiVo remote... what receiver? [ In reply to ]
Jason,

thanks so much for the IR module number! I'm off to RS now :-)
Hopefully tonight I'll have everything soldered and working.

IvanK.

Re: TiVo remote... what receiver? [ In reply to ]
Hi Cedar,

There is a parts list for the universal infrared receiver with Radio Shack
parts on the lirc-list. Is this old/outdated? Here's what I found there
(and was going to try and buy):

Radio Shack Part #
Amount # description Part #
1 DET1 IR Module 276-137 $3.79
1 IC1 7805 Regulator 276-1770 $1.49
1 C1 4.7uf Capacitor 272-1024 $0.79
1 D1 914/4148 Diode 276-1122 $1.29
1 R1 4.7k Resistor 271-1330 $0.69
1 DSUB1 Metalized Hood 276-1537 $1.99
1 DSUB2 Metalized Hood 276-1537 $1.99
1 --- this 9 Pin D-Sub 276-1472 (crimp) $1.49
1 --- or this D-Sub 276-1538 (solder) $1.49
1 --- Serial Cable old mouse cable $0.00
Total Cost (minus taxes)
$13.52

This was posted at:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=590689&forum_id=5339

Can you please review and correct so we'll have an up-to-date parts list?
I'd like to put mine together in the next couple days.

Thanks!
JC

Re: TiVo remote... what receiver? [ In reply to ]

> There is a parts list for the universal infrared receiver with Radio
> Shack
> parts on the lirc-list. Is this old/outdated? Here's what I found
> there
> (and was going to try and buy):
>
> Radio Shack Part #
> Amount # description Part #
> 1 DET1 IR Module 276-137 $3.79
> 1 IC1 7805 Regulator 276-1770 $1.49
> 1 C1 4.7uf Capacitor 272-1024 $0.79
> 1 D1 914/4148 Diode 276-1122 $1.29
> 1 R1 4.7k Resistor 271-1330 $0.69
> 1 DSUB1 Metalized Hood 276-1537 $1.99
> 1 DSUB2 Metalized Hood 276-1537 $1.99
> 1 --- this 9 Pin D-Sub 276-1472 (crimp) $1.49
> 1 --- or this D-Sub 276-1538 (solder) $1.49
> 1 --- Serial Cable old mouse cable $0.00
> Total Cost (minus taxes)
> $13.52

Here is my revised version.

> 1 --- D-Sub Female connector 276-1538 (solder version)
> 1 --- 4.7uf Capacitor 272-1024
> 1--- 914/4148 Diode 276-1122
> 1--- 4.7k Resistor 271-1330
> 1 DSUB Metal Hood 276-1508
> 1 +5VDC 1 amp Voltage Regulator 276-1770
> 1 IR Reciever Module 276-640

The ir reciever module is just the new and improved version of the same
thing. I don't know why there is more than one hood in the original
list, I only used one. I used a metal hood. I read conflicting reports
about whether to use metal or plastic. Metal provides shielding which
is good, but has the potential to short your circuit. I ended up using
metal, and wrapping my circuit very well in electrical tape. Both
individual wires, then the whole shebang before it went into the hood.
I used the solder type female connector, I'm sure the crimp style would
work too. I wanted this to be small, so I spent some effort getting it
all to fit in a hood. If you fashion a bigger case for it the soldering
becomes trivial.

Here is the circuit diagram I used to build mine:
http://www.manoweb.com/alesan/lirc/circuit.html
The color version really contains a lot of info if you don't know how
to read a "real" schematic like me. For instance the color rendering
shows which way the diode goes in there, which side the black stripe on
the capicitor goes to and so on. Look at it carefully and build your
circuit exactly like that pic. I didn't actually use the rest of his
very nice step-by-step because the radioshack parts are different sizes
and shapes than his. I used the diagram to understand which part had to
connect to which, then fiddled around with the parts before soldering
until I thought I could jam it into the dsub connector. If you have
more questions feel free to ask.

And finally here are a couple of pics of mine:
http://homepage.mac.com/cedarmckay/public/PhotoAlbum5.html

best,

cedar