control? Does it work reasonably?

Thanks
Ben
Re: Creative Infra Receiver/CIMR100 [ In reply to ]
I like mine although I'm considering building the homebrew serial
receiver so that I can use my universal remote instead. If you like the
size, it works quite well and I've used it from about 6-8 feet away and
haven't had a problem with the signals being received.

If you have difficulties getting lirc to see it, just make sure you
create a symbolic link from /dev/lirc to the serial port /dev/ttyS0.

--Mike

Re: Creative Infra Receiver/CIMR100 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> Does anyone have any experience with this remote IR reciever and
> control? Does it work reasonably?

Works fine, but you are tied to the bundled remote which isn't really that
nice. Get one that works with a universal remote instead.

Cheers,

Alex
Re: Creative Infra Receiver/CIMR100 [ In reply to ]
> Does anyone have any experience with this remote IR reciever and
> control? Does it work reasonably?

I have one of these on my MythTV box right now. I use it from about
7-8 feet away regularly. I have already got a home-built serial
receiver though and am planning on switching to that at some point.

Couple pros/cons from my experience:

* Pros
- works decent
- easy to configure with lirc (preconfigured /etc/lircd.conf file)

* Cons
- receiver only works with creative remote
- creative remote uses a "button" battery rather than AA or AAA
- not enough buttons to map both 0-9 and up/down/left/right/etc.

I'm switching to a universal remote with the homebuilt receiver so I can
map more keys, but if you're happy with the amount/config of the keys on
the creative remote and the special battery you need to use, then it's a nice
remote for the price. I got mine for $7.95 + shipping/handling off of
www.compgeeks.com I think. Picked up 2 actually. I'll probably use one of
those when I get around to making a MythTV box for the bedroom.

Chris

** Chris Pinkham Linux v2.2.18, Sane v1.0.4, Cajun v3.0-8 **
** cpinkham@bc2va.org http://www.bc2va.org/chris/ **