I am looking for any suggestions, and if anyone reading this has this card,
the XFree config file would probably be incredibly helpful.

Side question... what is the minimum processor I would need to get decent to
great looking video for live tv (time shifting)... I am currently running a
duron 750, but live tv doesn't seem a real possibility here. I need to look
at what the max processor I can get for my mobo, but I would like to know if
it will be good enough before buying. Otherwise, this will be used just for
recording.

Re: TV out in black and white [ In reply to ]
Baba O'Riley wrote:
> I have tv out working under Mandrake 9.0, but the image is in black and
> white. I am using an old Diamond Viper 550 card. I have see others on
> the lists say they are using it, so I am fairly sure I should be able to
> get it working.

Is all of X black and white? If so, don't over look the
possibility of a bad cable or loose connector.

If just the TV picture is black and white, I've seen this
when the fine tuning of the capture card was off because
the tuner type was not detected correctly for the bttv
driver.

> Side question... what is the minimum processor I would need to get
> decent to great looking video for live tv (time shifting)... I am
> currently running a duron 750, but live tv doesn't seem a real
> possibility here. I need to look at what the max processor I can get
> for my mobo, but I would like to know if it will be good enough before
> buying. Otherwise, this will be used just for recording.

That could do a good job at lower resolutions. Most CPUs
over 1GHz have a good chance of keeping up with 640x480
mpeg4. I recommend the AMD Duron 1.2 or 1.3GHz. They're
dirt cheap, run relatively cool and I know for a fact can
keep up at even 720x480 mpeg4. However, I'd guess that
you'd probably need a new motherboard for one of these.

-- bjm
RE: TV out in black and white [ In reply to ]
Hi,
The only other thing that I can think of is that perhaps the output is does
not match the standard for your equipment (PAL/NTSC)?
Often if I get transmission standard in the capture settings wrong, I find
that the pic is sort of OK, but no colour.
Not sure if your TV out has PAL/NTSC output options. Don't have a TVOut card
myself...
Just a thought...

Regard,
Ralph

I have tv out working under Mandrake 9.0, but the image is in black and
white. I am using an old Diamond Viper 550 card. I have see others on the
lists say they are using it, so I am fairly sure I should be able to get it
working.
[...]

----------
Our communications with you matter to us. This e-mail and any attachments
are confidential and are sent on the basis of our copyright, e-mail and
security policy which can be inspected at our website at
http://www.tribaldata.co.uk/html/contact.html#6. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender and delete this message. Thank you.
----------
Re: TV out in black and white [ In reply to ]
Bruce Markey wrote:
> Baba O'Riley wrote:
>
>> I have tv out working under Mandrake 9.0, but the image is in black
>> and white. I am using an old Diamond Viper 550 card. I have see
>> others on the lists say they are using it, so I am fairly sure I
>> should be able to get it working.
>

> Is all of X black and white? If so, don't over look the
> possibility of a bad cable or loose connector.
>
> If just the TV picture is black and white, I've seen this
> when the fine tuning of the capture card was off because
> the tuner type was not detected correctly for the bttv
> driver.

I have this issue as well. If video is coming off the Television input
of my tuner card (ATI Wonder TV VE), the image is b&w. However, if I
select the Composite1 input (hitting "c" in mythtv), the signal comes in
full color.

For testing I have an antenna hooked up to a VCR, then from the VCR I
have both coax and an RCA composite running to the tuner card. The
signal over the coax seems to be interpreted as b&w, but the composite
is color and looks just fine.

It behaves the same way in XawTV, so it's not a MythTV issue, but
probably a card driver issue.

-Mike

--
Michael J. Sherman | Software Developer
Digital Sandbox, Inc. | http://www.dsbox.com/
Re: TV out in black and white [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:46:36 -0000
Ralph Little <ralph.little@tribaldata.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
> The only other thing that I can think of is that perhaps the output is does
> not match the standard for your equipment (PAL/NTSC)?
> Often if I get transmission standard in the capture settings wrong, I find
> that the pic is sort of OK, but no colour.
> Not sure if your TV out has PAL/NTSC output options. Don't have a TVOut card
> myself...
> Just a thought...

Svideo out, but using Composite adapter. My video-out does this too
but, only if I munge the nvtv settings. Check in nvtv and adjust your
settings.

> Regard,
> Ralph

-Monty Walls (mwalls@castor.oktax.state.ok.us)
- MIS, Oklahoma Tax Commission
-
- My opinions are my own, my employer knows nothing about it.
Re: TV out in black and white [ In reply to ]
Ok, I got color with nvtv. Is there a way to get this to save or recorrect
automatically on boot? I am having to run it everytime I restart. It
shouldn't be a big deal once I get my setup working without problem (Still
having schedualing problems, which I posted about in another thread). It
would be nice to not have to set it up every time though.

Thank you for the help Ralph

Re: TV out in black and white [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:08:10 -0500
"Baba O'Riley" <grantstoll@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, I got color with nvtv. Is there a way to get this to save or recorrect
> automatically on boot? I am having to run it everytime I restart. It
> shouldn't be a big deal once I get my setup working without problem (Still
> having schedualing problems, which I posted about in another thread). It
> would be nice to not have to set it up every time though.

nvtv can be run from the command line with no gui. Add it to your
X startup. I added it to .xinitrc for root (since I'm running myth
as root).

Re: TV out in black and white [ In reply to ]
Michael J. Sherman wrote:

> Bruce Markey wrote:
>> If just the TV picture is black and white, I've seen this
>> when the fine tuning of the capture card was off because
>> the tuner type was not detected correctly for the bttv
>> driver.
>>

> I have this issue as well. If video is coming off the Television input
> of my tuner card (ATI Wonder TV VE), the image is b&w. However, if I
> select the Composite1 input (hitting "c" in mythtv), the signal comes in
> full color.

I assume that you you couldn't use the same nvtv fix that
solved this for Baba.

There's no fine tuning needed for the composite input which
makes me suspect even more that this is the problem.

> For testing I have an antenna hooked up to a VCR, then from the VCR I
> have both coax and an RCA composite running to the tuner card. The
> signal over the coax seems to be interpreted as b&w, but the composite
> is color and looks just fine.
>
> It behaves the same way in XawTV, so it's not a MythTV issue, but
> probably a card driver issue.

Try running xawtv and press the right or left arrow keys
several times to see if that fixes it. If so look through
the archive for messages about tuner type for this card.

-- bjm