Mailing List Archive

ATI All-in-Wonder 7500
I'm currently in the process of buying parts for a MythTV system. I'm thinking about getting an ATI All-in-Wonder 7500 for both its TV Tuner and its TV out graphics. Does anyone have an opinion about this video card?

Drew
Re: ATI All-in-Wonder 7500 [ In reply to ]
look in the mythtv developer archives (since the myth user list is
brand new) for questions like this. The short answer: Currently AIW
cards can work as capture or output but not both at once with mythtv.
This is due to a driver limitation. So you will need separate devices.
Good luck

cedar

Re: ATI All-in-Wonder 7500 [ In reply to ]
My experience thus far is that AIW's are a real pain to deal with, short
of working with some extremely experimental kernel drivers (which don't
quite work themselves).

Better off getting a WinTV card (or something else that's BTTV based)

Cheers,
Aaron

Re: ATI All-in-Wonder 7500 [ In reply to ]
You can't use the AIW to both display and do video capture under Linux.

Re: ATI All-in-Wonder 7500 [ In reply to ]
In addition to not being able to capture and display at the same time
under Linux, and thereby requiring a second capture card. It also
requires the experimental gatos Xserver for the XV support which is a pain
in the a** to install.

Re: ATI All-in-Wonder 7500 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 09:10, Dwight Hubbard wrote:
> I have the exact same card, I personally use a seperate hapaugge wintv
> turner card. Primarily because they are cheap and I find the tv out on
> the ati card to be pretty good.
I have the exact same setup, radeon and wintv capture, but I can't get
the tvout to work on the radeon. I get X to output to the framebuffer,
but then myth won't find the Xv support so it dies. The atitvout tool
on gatos won't switch the displays, but it does see the card. Any tips?

Anyways, remote rocks!

Matt
Re: ATI All-in-Wonder 7500 [ In reply to ]
Someone released a contrib to gatos.sourceforge.net that will allow you
to switch between tv-out and monitor out while using the standard X
server with the gatos drivers for the ATI Radeon.

I think that's what you're looking for.

Cheers,
Aaron

Re: ATI All-in-Wonder 7500 [ In reply to ]
the atitvout tool doesn't seem to work right with this card. I can get
the tool to see the card, but it won't let me switch between CRT and TV.
On my laptop with a Rage PM Mobility it works great though.

Matt