Mailing List Archive

Creative Ifra Receiver --- step-by-step
Hi. Tried for help from the lirc list but have had limited success.
Anyone who got the Creative Infra Receiver to work can maybe help?

I did a make distclean and then rebuilt it all again from
scratch. Chose the creative Infra receiver, and ttyS0 (Com1). I have
tried it with and without the debug settings checked - no difference.

I have NO reference to lirc-serial or char-major-61 in my modules.conf, it's
generic (see attached). My rc.d/rc.local is clean, and my kernel doesn't
reference any serial things at all. I _think_ this
is how some people have it working. In my /etc/ folder I have
the file 'lircd.conf" which is a copy of lirc.conf.creative from the
creative folder inside remotes inside the tarball (also attached). In my
/dev folder I removed the old lirc device (rm lirc) and tried doing both a
simple ln -sf ttyS0 lirc to create the symbolic link, and also a mknod
lirc c 0 61 then the ln to link to it. Either way it doesn't work for me.
I've tried doing the ln with /dev/lirc and just the lirc and neither works.
It does explain why you had a "5" in there and I had a "10". When I do the
ln without the /dev path, I get 5, otherwise I get 10. Here's what my ls -l
lirc* looks like:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Feb 4 21:24 /dev/lirc ->/dev/ttyS0
srw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 Feb 5 01:29 /dev/lircd=
prw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 30 04:48 /dev/lircm|

I've tried doing a chmod 666 lirc but no difference.

Now, when I run the lircd -n command, it waits patiently for me to open
another window and type irw. When I do (alt-f2 and login to new session),
this is output from the lircd window:

lircd 0.6.6: lircd(creative) ready
lircd 0.6.6: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
lircd 0.6.6: could not open /dev/lirc
lircd 0.6.6: creative_init(): No such device
lircd 0.6.6: caught signal

I've attached the output from lsmod so you can see what's loading. I've
tried this inside X and outside. Right now I doing it outside (before

I do see a message in my syslog about IRDA: irattach loading. Is that
a problem? There's nothing in my syslog about serial or creative or lirc.

Bottom line is that it's still (obviously) not working. One thing that
really puzzles me is this. I've hear people say you don't load any "serial"
drivers or modules of any kind and others say I have to load serial drivers,
and in fact to make sure not to get the default ones but to get the creative
ones. Which way is right? I know when I do the ./setup.sh it says
that I DON'T need to modify my kernel. I don't know. I don't really
understand what's going on behind the scenes.

If there any debugging or compile switches I should be turning on, let me
know please.

Oh, one more thought... Is it correct to do the ./setup.sh and the make as a
regular user then the make install as root? Assuming yes, do I need to be
root to run lircd or irw? I've tried it both ways but didn't know if it
mattered?

I'm desperate! I have MythTV up and running and this is the one missing
piece!

Thanks a million!

JC
Re: Creative Ifra Receiver --- step-by-step [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:17:30PM -0500, John wrote:

> I have NO reference to lirc-serial or char-major-61 in my modules.conf, it's
> generic (see attached). My rc.d/rc.local is clean, and my kernel doesn't

If you have no reference to lirc-serial, how on earth do you expect it
to work?

> reference any serial things at all. I _think_ this
> is how some people have it working. In my /etc/ folder I have
> the file 'lircd.conf" which is a copy of lirc.conf.creative from the
> creative folder inside remotes inside the tarball (also attached). In my
> /dev folder I removed the old lirc device (rm lirc) and tried doing both a
Why!
> simple ln -sf ttyS0 lirc to create the symbolic link, and also a mknod
> lirc c 0 61 then the ln to link to it. Either way it doesn't work for me.
> I've tried doing the ln with /dev/lirc and just the lirc and neither works.
> It does explain why you had a "5" in there and I had a "10". When I do the
> ln without the /dev path, I get 5, otherwise I get 10. Here's what my ls -l
> lirc* looks like:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Feb 4 21:24 /dev/lirc ->/dev/ttyS0
> srw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 Feb 5 01:29 /dev/lircd=
> prw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 30 04:48 /dev/lircm|
>
> I've tried doing a chmod 666 lirc but no difference.

You deleted the correct lirc device, and then linked it to a serial port
which you don't have. why? where did you get the idea to do this?
crw-rw---- 4 root root 61, 0 2002-10-07 12:56 dev/lirc

> Bottom line is that it's still (obviously) not working. One thing that
> really puzzles me is this. I've hear people say you don't load any "serial"
> drivers or modules of any kind and others say I have to load serial drivers,
> and in fact to make sure not to get the default ones but to get the creative
> ones. Which way is right? I know when I do the ./setup.sh it says
> that I DON'T need to modify my kernel. I don't know. I don't really
> understand what's going on behind the scenes.

You need to load the lirc modules!!!

> I'm desperate! I have MythTV up and running and this is the one missing
> piece!

http://www.lirc.org/html/install.html#installing
read that then.

--
-Justin
Re: Creative Ifra Receiver --- step-by-step [ In reply to ]
I got it up and running this way.
# ./setup.sh
# make
# su
# make install
# chmod 666 /dev/lircd
# ln -sf /dev/ttySx /dev/lirc
where x represents your com port device (0 for 1, 1 for 2)
You need to put a command to run /usr/local/sbin/lircd in your
/etc/rc.d/rc.local
There is no other configuration in my modules.conf
Of course you need a working .lircrc in your home directory and a
lircd.conf in your /etc/ for your particular remote. and you need to
have irxevent running as a daemon before you call mythfrontend by doing
a irxevent &

Re: Creative Ifra Receiver --- step-by-step [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:32:13PM -0500, Chris wrote:
> I got it up and running this way.
> # ./setup.sh
> # make
> # su
> # make install

> # chmod 666 /dev/lircd
> # ln -sf /dev/ttySx /dev/lirc

the chmod as no effect, since your just deleting the file anyway,
probably wouldn't matter though.....
> where x represents your com port device (0 for 1, 1 for 2)
> You need to put a command to run /usr/local/sbin/lircd in your
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local
> There is no other configuration in my modules.conf
> Of course you need a working .lircrc in your home directory and a
> lircd.conf in your /etc/ for your particular remote. and you need to
> have irxevent running as a daemon before you call mythfrontend by doing
> a irxevent &

You also NEED a working kernel serial driver then. You can't build a
kernel with no serial port support at all and expect that to work. You
either use lirc_serial or whicher, or the built in kernel driver. One
or the other, not both, not neither.

--
-Justin