Mailing List Archive

Encoding efficiency decrease with 0.8?
Hi,

After using 0.7 for a while and enjoying good results, I decided to
upgrade to CVS. I was very surprised to find that my recording
settings, which worked very well on my system with 0.7, do not work well
in the current CVS. My settings:

RTJPEG
640x480
Quality 255
Luma/Chroma: 0/0
MP3 quality 0

My system:

Athlon 1600 XP
ASUS A7A266
256MB RAM
WD 120 GB/7200 RPM HD
GeForce4 MX 440
Hercules Fortissimo III/Alsa drivers (output only)
WinTV-Radio PCI (btaudio capture)
Redhat 8.0, custom kernel 2.4.20

With 0.7, there was no stuttering in the audio. Now with 0.8, I have
choppy audio watching LiveTV unless I reduce the capture to 320x240 with
MP3 quality at least 7.

Also, I tried MPEG-4, and while I don't get stuttering audio, the
picture has bad pixelization at all bitrates and quality levels.

Any help?

-Joe C.
Re: Encoding efficiency decrease with 0.8? [ In reply to ]

[...]

j> With 0.7, there was no stuttering in the audio. Now with 0.8, I have
j> choppy audio watching LiveTV unless I reduce the capture to 320x240 with
j> MP3 quality at least 7.

j> Also, I tried MPEG-4, and while I don't get stuttering audio, the
j> picture has bad pixelization at all bitrates and quality levels.

Maybe you turned on Closed Captioning?
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gtgj@pacbell.net
Re: Encoding efficiency decrease with 0.8? [ In reply to ]
No, CC is not on. I also made sure "deinterlace playback" is OFF.

-Joe C.