- This happend with MP3 compression and uncompressed audio

The only other thing I can attribute it to is the motherboard which is a VIA apollo dual processor board. I have heard issues with the South Bridge. I am using a stock 2.4.19 kernel, and I wonder if I should look for any patches for via chipsets. What do you think?

Steve
Re: A little jittery [ In reply to ]
Just out of curiousity, try running top and increase the speed (hit s, set
to .3) Then run hdparm -t /dev/hd?. Does it spike (System) pretty
heinously? Mine benches just as well as yours does, but it seems that my
chipset (AMD 760) has some crummy IDE drivers...the CPU spikes in the 60's
just when doing hdparm. So I'm thinking my issue is now the onboard
controller not being up to the task of writing that much data to the disc
without chopping out the CPU in the process.

Might be worth playing with some of the hdparm params--like unmasqirq,
32bit I/O, write caching, and the acoustic management?