http://www.via.com.tw/en/viac3/pb.jsp
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/roundupmobo/via-c3-nehemiah.html

Let me know what you think.. Supposedly it will have a full speed FPU -
which should make all the difference in the world. However, I'll let you
"guru"'s figure it out. :)

--Micah Morton
--Linux Network Test Engineer
--Intel Corp
Re: Coming Soon: EPIA M-10000 [ In reply to ]
The FPU should help, and so should sse (which would enable deinterlace).

I hope they sort out their Linux drivers by then - the current set are
difficult to work with.

Larry

Re: Coming Soon: EPIA M-10000 [ In reply to ]
What I would really like to see from EPIA is a MPEG4 decoder onboard with
linux support... there is a 266mhz version of epia (Mbox) that does have
it, but 266?!? Geeze! That'd suck.. Anyways, VIA says that everything
should be fully supported in linux - which makes me think they are working
on it a lot.. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Re: Coming Soon: EPIA M-10000 [ In reply to ]
I will have one on the 28th of February and I will let you know.

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 15:06, Micah Morton wrote:

> I was wondering what you all thought about this and if it would run
> mythtv.. Here are some links about this up-coming motherboard.
>
> http://www.via.com.tw/en/viac3/pb.jsp
> http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/roundupmobo/via-c3-nehemiah.html
>
> Let me know what you think.. Supposedly it will have a full speed FPU -
> which should make all the difference in the world. However, I'll let you
> "guru"'s figure it out. :)
>
> --Micah Morton
> --Linux Network Test Engineer
> --Intel Corp

Merle Reine <merle.reine@lindows.com>
Lindows.com Hardware Certification
Re: Coming Soon: EPIA M-10000 [ In reply to ]
I know this sounds a lot like the whole "mythtv on the xbox/ps2" thread,
but if this box really does have an onboard mpeg4 decoder, it would seem
that 266 might be acceptable for a frontend. Of course that would
depend on Linux drivers, and mythtv using the decoder, but in that
situation won't most of the work be done in the decoder and not in the
CPU?

--
Brent Norris <brent@linux.wku.edu>
RE: Coming Soon: EPIA M-10000 [ In reply to ]
I actually got a binary driver today from via that supposedly adds
support to linux for the Epia M9000 onboard decoder. I have installed
it but have not tried it. It only works for 2.4.19 but should have
source code in a few weeks.

Re: Coming Soon: EPIA M-10000 [ In reply to ]
Depends if the MPG4 is Both a Encoder and Decorder at the same time. If
not then Myth would kill a 266 in about 30 Seconds in live TV Mode.

Robert

RE: Coming Soon: EPIA M-10000 [ In reply to ]
Does anybody know if the Epia M10000 has an onboard decoder as well? 1ghz
with a hardware decoder would be enough for both front and backend
work.... expecially if they worked on the floating point. A mini-itx
motherboard could finally be an acceptible mythbox.

Re: Coming Soon: EPIA M-10000 [ In reply to ]
Well he said decoder so I was working with that, but I was just talking
about being a frontend. No encoding only watching of mpeg4 files from
the backends.

--
Brent Norris <brent@linux.wku.edu>
Re: Coming Soon: EPIA M-10000 [ In reply to ]
Merle,

would it be possible to send me that driver? I'd love to be able to make
some progress on my M9000 box, currently the drivers are my biggest problem.

...Kevin

Re: Coming Soon: EPIA M-10000 [ In reply to ]
Merle,

> Merle,
>
> would it be possible to send me that driver? I'd love to be able to make
> some progress on my M9000 box, currently the drivers are my biggest
problem.

Well if possible could you sent me a copy to ;-) .

/Robert Winder
lnx4all@zonnet.nl