Mailing List Archive

myth developer vs myth user guidelines
Hey Isaac,
could you clarify how you would like to see posts divided between these
two lists? For instance talking about submitting a patch would
obviously be on the developer list, and discussion of xbox as a
frontend (ugh) would obviously be for the user list. But what about

help, I can't compile

help, could not find Xv Support

I think I found a bug but I'm not sure

does the AIW card work

help, I get shitty performance

how do I run frontend and backend on different machines

I get poor audio quality

I crash when I change channels

in other words, do you want to use the developer list as a place
strictly for discussion of coding, planning and the submission of
reproducible bugs (with a backtraces), or are you just trying to get
some of the blatant off topic stuff onto another list?

I think most people want to do the right thing and not piss anyone off,
but I think a lot of people think "could not find Xv Support" would be
a developer-list issue and a lot think it would be a user-list issue.

best,

cedar
Re: myth developer vs myth user guidelines [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 06 February 2003 03:35 am, Cedar McKay wrote:
> Hey Isaac,
> could you clarify how you would like to see posts divided between these
> two lists? For instance talking about submitting a patch would
> obviously be on the developer list, and discussion of xbox as a
> frontend (ugh) would obviously be for the user list. But what about
>
> help, I can't compile
> help, could not find Xv Support
> does the AIW card work
> help, I get shitty performance
> I get poor audio quality

user

> I think I found a bug but I'm not sure

dev

> how do I run frontend and backend on different machines

Shouldn't be asked, it's in the docs =)

> I crash when I change channels

Could be either.

> in other words, do you want to use the developer list as a place
> strictly for discussion of coding, planning and the submission of
> reproducible bugs (with a backtraces), or are you just trying to get
> some of the blatant off topic stuff onto another list?
>
> I think most people want to do the right thing and not piss anyone off,
> but I think a lot of people think "could not find Xv Support" would be
> a developer-list issue and a lot think it would be a user-list issue.

No rules or anything, really, I just want to get some of the really off-topic
stuff off the -dev list so that people who don't want to get so much mail
don't have to.

Isaac
Re: myth developer vs myth user guidelines [ In reply to ]

> I crash when I change channels

you got to stop driving your car when using this software! ;o) (sorry
couldn't resist)
Re: myth developer vs myth user guidelines [ In reply to ]
Isaac Richards wrote:

> No rules or anything, really, I just want to get some of the really off-topic
> stuff off the -dev list so that people who don't want to get so much mail
> don't have to.
>
> Isaac

Since most 0.7 questions seem to fall into the "user" type questions,
would it be easier to discuss 0.8 (or the current cvs version) on the
-dev list and all other topics on the user list?

-rac