Mailing List Archive

Myth Recording Extender (MRE) v1.0.0 Released
With the NFL season just around the corner, I've finished adding NFL
support to the Myth Recording Extender script.

The latest version can be downloaded from the project web site at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtv-tools/

What is MRE? MRE is a PHP5 application that will monitor (certain)
active recordings and automatically extend the length of the recording
if the monitor detects that the event is running beyond the scheduled
time in the tv listings. MRE will continually extend such recordings
until the monitor detects the event is over, at which time it will
stop the recording. MRE was written with live sports in mind and
currently supports monitoring of the following events:

* NFL football
* MLB baseball
* NHL hockey
* NBA basketball

Just because your listings provider says the game is over after three
hours doesn't mean you have to miss extra innings or overtime. With
MythTV and MRE you can record the entire game no matter how long it
goes.

Please see the readme file for all system requirements to run MRE.
Feedback welcomed.

- Derek

Re: Myth Recording Extender (MRE) v1.0.0 Released [ In reply to ]

> Please see the readme file for all system requirements to run MRE.
> Feedback welcomed.
>
> - Derek

This is really cool!

Could it be extended to auto racing events?
Formula 1 in particular, but I would assume
it would translate to other series (Champ
Car, Rolex series, Atlantic, etc.)

Re: Myth Recording Extender (MRE) v1.0.0 Released [ In reply to ]
Hi

On 8/14/06, Derek Battams <derek@battams.ca> wrote:
> What is MRE? MRE is a PHP5 application that will monitor (certain)
> active recordings and automatically extend the length of the recording

Out of interest...

How does it work?
How can it detect that a show is still running ?
JY
Re: Myth Recording Extender (MRE) v1.0.0 Released [ In reply to ]
Instead of extending recordings, can it instead alter the schedules
of programs set to record after the sports event?

I record "60 Minutes" on CBS, but it's frequently pushed forward
because of football or golf. As it is now, I have to set the schedule
to always record an extra hour, just in case it doesn't start on
time--and that wastes precious disk space.
--
Dan Wilga "Ook."
Re: Myth Recording Extender (MRE) v1.0.0 Released [ In reply to ]
Quoting Scott Harris <mythtv@webhounds.net>:

>> Please see the readme file for all system requirements to run MRE.
>> Feedback welcomed.
>>
>> - Derek
>

> This is really cool!
>
> Could it be extended to auto racing events?
> Formula 1 in particular, but I would assume
> it would translate to other series (Champ
> Car, Rolex series, Atlantic, etc.)

Yes, MRE can easily support any sporting event as long as there is a
web site (or some type of web service) that contains a realtime status
of the event and can be parsed. The key is that the web site/service
containing the data must be (near) realtime and must distinguish
between the event still running and the event being over.

If you're the programming type, have a look at the source and simply
write a subclass of MythEvent for the type of event you want to
monitor. When done, open a feature report on the project site, attach
your class file and I'll include it in a future release. If you're
not the programming type, open the feature request and be sure to
include a link to the web site that provides the (near) realtime data
and I'll see what I can do.

- Derek

Re: Myth Recording Extender (MRE) v1.0.0 Released [ In reply to ]
Quoting Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>:

> Hi
>
> On 8/14/06, Derek Battams <derek@battams.ca> wrote:
>> What is MRE? MRE is a PHP5 application that will monitor (certain)
>> active recordings and automatically extend the length of the recording
>
> Out of interest...
>
> How does it work?
> How can it detect that a show is still running ?
> JY

By parsing web pages that contain (near) realtime updates about the
event being monitored. For the 4 major sports that it currently
supports (NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA), I simply parse the live scoreboard
pages at ESPN.com. During the last 30 minutes of the scheduled
recording time MRE reads and parses the scoreboard page every 5
minutes. If the game ends early MRE can optionally stop the recording
early, if MRE detects the game is running late then it will extend the
recording until it detects the game is over.

Naturally, live sports recordings are the motivation behind this, but
it's not limited just to sports. Anything that can be monitored via
the web can be used to control the recording time of a program. Off
the top of my head, live awards shows could be monitored and extended
if there were a way to get the status of the show on the web during
the broadcast (don't the Oscars always run late?). I doubt there's a
web source one could monitor for this, but it's just another example
of the possibilities.

- Derek

Re: Myth Recording Extender (MRE) v1.0.0 Released [ In reply to ]
Quoting Dan Wilga <mythtv-users@dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu>:

> Instead of extending recordings, can it instead alter the schedules
> of programs set to record after the sports event?
>
> I record "60 Minutes" on CBS, but it's frequently pushed forward
> because of football or golf. As it is now, I have to set the schedule
> to always record an extra hour, just in case it doesn't start on
> time--and that wastes precious disk space.

What you're asking for is _posible_, but MRE doesn't do it and I don't
think I'd change MRE to support it. Why? If you read some of my
earlier replies this morning, you'll notice that MRE relies on _near_
realtime data to make its decisions about extending recordings. Since
I wrote this and started using it back in February my recordings
usually are padded with an extra 5-10 minutes since the sources I use
for the game updates are usually a few minutes behind. The key is
that I always get the entire game recorded, even if it goes into
triple overtime (my original motivation was this past season's Stanley
Cup playoffs).

Changing a recording that follows a live event would not work as
smoothly. Even if we detect that the game ran 20 minutes late,
there's no guarantee that the program to follow starts immediately
after. Usually networks will run a postgame show to the bottom of the
hour or whatever. Also, if I detect the game is over 5 minutes after
it actually ended (again, the sources are _near_ realtime) then you
may miss some of the program, etc. There are a few more variables
involved in this case, which makes it a little more tricky.

- Derek

Re: Myth Recording Extender (MRE) v1.0.0 Released [ In reply to ]
This tool is a great idea! Questions/comments:

- For NFL preseason support is adding the following to EventFactory.php the only
required change:

case 'NFL Preseason Football':
$obj = new NFLEvent($data['subtitle']); break;

- How forgiving are the team matches when comparing the "X vs Y" in the channel
guide vs the "X vs Y" from the espn pages? In other words if I tell myth to
record the "Carolina Panthers vs NY Giants" but espn.com has it as "Carolina
Panthers vs New York Giants" or "Carolina Panthers vs N.Y. Giants" will MRE
figure out that this is the same game?

- any plans to add this functionality to mythbackend or to mythweb?

- Say I'm going to record the 1pm and 4pm NFL games on the same channel. If the
1pm game runs over will MRE recognize that it doesn't need to change anything
since I'm recording the following program on that channel?

- Assume I have one tuner and I want to record the 1pm NFL game on FOX and the
4pm NFL game on CBS. If the 1pm NFL game runs over by 15 minutes MRE will tell
myth to record FOX until 4:15? Will MRE also tell myth to not bother recording
the CBS game until 4:15 or will the 4pm CBS game not record at all because there
was a conflict?

- If espn.com changes their page format and MRE can no longer parse espn pages
will MRE extend a recording by some default amount just as a safety net?

Thanks
Daniel

Re: Myth Recording Extender (MRE) v1.0.0 Released [ In reply to ]
Quoting Daniel Walton <dwalton@cisco.com>:

> This tool is a great idea! Questions/comments:
>
> - For NFL preseason support is adding the following to
> EventFactory.php the only
> required change:
>
> case 'NFL Preseason Football':
> $obj = new NFLEvent($data['subtitle']); break;

Yes, adding to the case statement is all that's needed to support
preseason games.

WARNING!! I didn't add support for preseason games because NFL Network
is showing preseason games on a tape delay. If the game is shown on
the same day it was played on tape delay then MRE will prematurely
detect that the game is over and you'll miss the last ~30 minutes of
the game. If you're only going to be recording live preseason games
on the networks then you should be fine or you can disable MRE from
ending recordings early even if it detects the event its monitoring
ended early (i.e. only allow MRE to extend recordings beyond the
scheduled time, never allow it to shorten a recording).

> - How forgiving are the team matches when comparing the "X vs Y" in
> the channel
> guide vs the "X vs Y" from the espn pages? In other words if I tell myth to
> record the "Carolina Panthers vs NY Giants" but espn.com has it as "Carolina
> Panthers vs New York Giants" or "Carolina Panthers vs N.Y. Giants" will MRE
> figure out that this is the same game?

It should figure it out with no issues. The .dat file for each type
of event lists the terms that ESPN.com uses to identify teams. To
date, MRE has not failed me in mapping the TV listings description of
the game to that used by ESPN.com.

> - any plans to add this functionality to mythbackend or to mythweb?

Not at the moment, I think this is best used as a standalone daemon,
though actually integrating this functionality into the backend would
be interesting.

> - Say I'm going to record the 1pm and 4pm NFL games on the same
> channel. If the
> 1pm game runs over will MRE recognize that it doesn't need to change anything
> since I'm recording the following program on that channel?

No. It will extend the recording of the 1pm game until it detects
it's over. If you have more than one tuner with the 4pm game
available then the Myth scheduler should move the 4pm game to an
available tuner. If you only have one tuner available for both games
then the 4pm game will likely be listed as a conflict (iff the 1pm
game is extended). This is theory, I've never actually faced this
condition. I only record games involving my favourite teams so I've
never actually recorded back to back live events that were being
monitored by MRE before.

> - Assume I have one tuner and I want to record the 1pm NFL game on
> FOX and the
> 4pm NFL game on CBS. If the 1pm NFL game runs over by 15 minutes
> MRE will tell
> myth to record FOX until 4:15? Will MRE also tell myth to not
> bother recording
> the CBS game until 4:15 or will the 4pm CBS game not record at all
> because there
> was a conflict?

As above, I speak in theory because I've never faced this situation.
For sure, I can tell you that the 1pm game will record until 4:15.
It's been awhile, but last time I traced through the scheduler code I
believe an active recording always wins and won't be stopped, so
definitely the 1pm game will go to 4:15. Sometime between 3:55-4:00
MRE will detect the game is running late and tell Myth to extend the
recording. At that time, Myth should mark the 4pm game as a conflict
and it won't record it. When the tuner becomes available at 4:15 Myth
may or may not start recording the program that was previously marked
a conflict (I'm 99% sure it won't do that, but it may, I'd assume it
won't). All those decisions are left to the Myth scheduler. MRE only
interacts with a recording it is monitoring by updating the post-roll
values for the recording.

> - If espn.com changes their page format and MRE can no longer parse
> espn pages
> will MRE extend a recording by some default amount just as a safety net?

No. However, I run a regression test every day for all event
monitors. The results are posted to a project mailing list (subscribe
on project site). Anytime a failure is detected I get a notice. If
the failure is unexpected the event monitor is updated and a new
release of MRE would occur. Hasn't happened yet, but, of course, it
will - probably during ESPN's annual site redesign. Unless they do
something totally wild and crazy, I'm usually able to whip up a parser
in 20 minutes or less. The default action of MRE is to do nothing if
it cannot attach a valid event monitor to a recording.

- Derek

Re: Myth Recording Extender (MRE) v1.0.0 Released [ In reply to ]
Derek Battams wrote:

> [...]
> interacts with a recording it is monitoring by updating the post-roll
> values for the recording.
>
>> - If espn.com changes their page format and MRE can no longer parse
>> espn pages
>> will MRE extend a recording by some default amount just as a safety net?
>
> No. However, I run a regression test every day for all event
> monitors. The results are posted to a project mailing list (subscribe
> on project site). Anytime a failure is detected I get a notice. If
> the failure is unexpected the event monitor is updated and a new
> release of MRE would occur. Hasn't happened yet, but, of course, it
> will - probably during ESPN's annual site redesign. Unless they do
> something totally wild and crazy, I'm usually able to whip up a parser
> in 20 minutes or less. The default action of MRE is to do nothing if
> it cannot attach a valid event monitor to a recording.

Is is feature posted on the Myth Wiki? if not it would be good to add to the
"pluggins page etc"
Re: Myth Recording Extender (MRE) v1.0.0 Released [ In reply to ]
On 08/14/2006 12:14 PM, Derek Battams wrote:

> Quoting Daniel Walton <dwalton@cisco.com>:
>
> > - Assume I have one tuner and I want to record the 1pm NFL game on
> > FOX and the 4pm NFL game on CBS. If the 1pm NFL game runs over by
> > 15 minutes MRE will tell myth to record FOX until 4:15? Will MRE
> > also tell myth to not bother recording the CBS game until 4:15 or
> > will the 4pm CBS game not record at all because there was a
> > conflict?
>

> As above, I speak in theory because I've never faced this situation.
> For sure, I can tell you that the 1pm game will record until 4:15.
> It's been awhile, but last time I traced through the scheduler code
> I believe an active recording always wins and won't be stopped, so
> definitely the 1pm game will go to 4:15. Sometime between 3:55-4:00
> MRE will detect the game is running late and tell Myth to extend the
> recording. At that time, Myth should mark the 4pm game as a
> conflict and it won't record it. When the tuner becomes available at
> 4:15 Myth may or may not start recording the program that was
> previously marked a conflict (I'm 99% sure it won't do that, but it
> may, I'd assume it won't). All those decisions are left to the Myth
> scheduler.

And the only way Myth would record the following show is if someone (the
script or a user) explicitly added a start-late of 15 minutes or more to
the recording rule.

Mike

Re: Myth Recording Extender (MRE) v1.0.0 Released [ In reply to ]
On Aug 14, 2006, at 10:05 AM, Derek Battams wrote:

> Quoting Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On 8/14/06, Derek Battams <derek@battams.ca> wrote:
>>> What is MRE? MRE is a PHP5 application that will monitor (certain)
>>> active recordings and automatically extend the length of the
>>> recording
>>
>> Out of interest...
>>
>> How does it work?
>> How can it detect that a show is still running ?
>> JY
>
> By parsing web pages that contain (near) realtime updates about the
> event being monitored. For the 4 major sports that it currently
> supports (NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA), I simply parse the live scoreboard
> pages at ESPN.com. During the last 30 minutes of the scheduled
> recording time MRE reads and parses the scoreboard page every 5
> minutes. If the game ends early MRE can optionally stop the recording
> early, if MRE detects the game is running late then it will extend the
> recording until it detects the game is over.
>
> Naturally, live sports recordings are the motivation behind this, but
> it's not limited just to sports. Anything that can be monitored via
> the web can be used to control the recording time of a program. Off
> the top of my head, live awards shows could be monitored and extended
> if there were a way to get the status of the show on the web during
> the broadcast (don't the Oscars always run late?). I doubt there's a
> web source one could monitor for this, but it's just another example
> of the possibilities.
>
> - Derek

Derek -

This is really cool. I'm definitely going to use this in football
season!

I was looking into expanding it for college sports (especially
football). When you look at ESPN's scoreboards for college games,
they have some script that breaks up Division I-A from Division I-AA.
Any thoughts on how to hand that?

Thanks in advance.

- Andrew

Re: Myth Recording Extender (MRE) v1.0.0 Released [ In reply to ]
On Aug 20, 2006, at 6:56 PM, Andrew Casper wrote:

> On Aug 14, 2006, at 10:05 AM, Derek Battams wrote:
>
>> Quoting Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Hi

>>> Out of interest...
>>>
>>> How does it work?
>>> How can it detect that a show is still running ?
>>> JY
>>
>> By parsing web pages that contain (near) realtime updates about the
>> event being monitored. For the 4 major sports that it currently
>> supports (NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA), I simply parse the live scoreboard
>> pages at ESPN.com. During the last 30 minutes of the scheduled
>> recording time MRE reads and parses the scoreboard page every 5
>> minutes. If the game ends early MRE can optionally stop the
>> recording
>> early, if MRE detects the game is running late then it will extend
>> the
>> recording until it detects the game is over.
>>
>> Naturally, live sports recordings are the motivation behind this, but
>> it's not limited just to sports. Anything that can be monitored via
>> the web can be used to control the recording time of a program. Off
>> the top of my head, live awards shows could be monitored and extended
>> if there were a way to get the status of the show on the web during
>> the broadcast (don't the Oscars always run late?). I doubt there's a
>> web source one could monitor for this, but it's just another example
>> of the possibilities.
>>
>> - Derek

Just out of curiosity, is there any other interesting information on
this page you're parsing that someone might want to know that isn't
already on the screen? Since you're parsing the page anyway, it would
be cool to use mythosd to take some of the info you're parsing and
scroll it across the bottom. Just a thought...

Re: Myth Recording Extender (MRE) v1.0.0 Released [ In reply to ]

> Derek -
>
> This is really cool. I'm definitely going to use this in football
> season!
>
> I was looking into expanding it for college sports (especially
> football). When you look at ESPN's scoreboards for college games,
> they have some script that breaks up Division I-A from Division I-AA.
> Any thoughts on how to hand that?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> - Andrew

I created a preliminary class for NCAAF and submitted the feature
request along with the php and dat files. I haven't had a chance to
test them yet since college football doesn't start until next weekend.

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1545417&group_id=160364&atid=815555
Re: Myth Recording Extender (MRE) v1.0.0 Released [ In reply to ]
On 8/23/06, Michael Lynch <lynchmv@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Derek -
> >
> > This is really cool. I'm definitely going to use this in football
> > season!
> >
> > I was looking into expanding it for college sports (especially
> > football). When you look at ESPN's scoreboards for college games,
> > they have some script that breaks up Division I-A from Division I-AA.
> > Any thoughts on how to hand that?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > - Andrew

> I created a preliminary class for NCAAF and submitted the feature
> request along with the php and dat files. I haven't had a chance to
> test them yet since college football doesn't start until next weekend.
>
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1545417&group_id=160364&atid=815555

Just an update, the first game in my area comes on tonight so I have
it set to record and am hoping it runs long so I can see if my work
proves worthy. I'll post back tomorrow to keep those interested
informed.
Re: Myth Recording Extender (MRE) v1.0.0 Released [ In reply to ]
On 8/31/06, Michael Lynch <lynchmv@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just an update, the first game in my area comes on tonight so I have
> it set to record and am hoping it runs long so I can see if my work
> proves worthy. I'll post back tomorrow to keep those interested
> informed.

OK, well I recorded the football game, it ran long, MRE tried
extending my recording but crashed. I was viewing the log output when
it crashed (via screen) so I didn't get to capture the complete
'dump'.

Here is the last few lines of the log before the crash:
Sleeping for 5 minutes.
===============================
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 20:54:00 -0400
array(3) {
[0]=>
string(14) "Boston College"
[1]=>
string(8) "Michigan"
[2]=>
string(16) "Central Michigan"
}
Title: College Football
Subtitle: Boston College at Central Michigan
Channel: 1034
Ending: 2006-08-31 21:00:00
Monitored: Yes (NCAAFEvent)

Skipping write of recording rule, nothing was changed!
Sleeping for 5 minutes.
===============================
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 20:59:00 -0400
array(3) {
[0]=>
string(14) "Boston College"
[1]=>
string(8) "Michigan"
[2]=>
string(16) "Central Michigan"
}
Title: College Football
Subtitle: Boston College at Central Michigan
Channel: 1034
Ending: 2006-08-31 21:00:00
Monitored: Yes (NCAAFEvent)

Sleeping for 5 minutes.
===============================

Here is what I was able to get from the crash:
/usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.14(cli_read_rows+0xd4)[0x7e956b]
/usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.14[0x7e93ca]
/usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.14(mysql_real_query+0x40)[0x7e8015]
/usr/lib/php/modules/mysql.so[0xa6d761]
/usr/lib/php/modules/mysql.so[0xa71af4]
/usr/bin/php(zend_do_fcall_common_helper+0x762)[0x8194383]
/usr/bin/php(zend_do_fcall_handler+0xc1)[0x81a1f92]
/usr/bin/php(execute+0xf5)[0x8191d37]
/usr/bin/php(zend_do_fcall_common_helper+0x174)[0x8193d95]
/usr/bin/php(execute+0xf5)[0x8191d37]
/usr/bin/php(zend_do_fcall_common_helper+0x174)[0x8193d95]
/usr/bin/php(execute+0xf5)[0x8191d37]
/usr/bin/php(zend_do_fcall_common_helper+0x174)[0x8193d95]
/usr/bin/php(execute+0xf5)[0x8191d37]
/usr/bin/php(zend_do_fcall_common_helper+0x174)[0x8193d95]
/usr/bin/php(execute+0xf5)[0x8191d37]
/usr/bin/php(zend_execute_scripts+0x1c4)[0x8173d2a]
/usr/bin/php(php_execute_script+0x222)[0x813ea30]
/usr/bin/php(main+0xe7d)[0x81a880e]
/lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xdf)[0x34fd5f]
/usr/bin/php[0x80727b1]
======= Memory map: ========

Re: Myth Recording Extender (MRE) v1.0.0 Released [ In reply to ]
On 8/13/06, Derek Battams <derek@battams.ca> wrote:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtv-tools/
<SNIP>
> Just because your listings provider says the game is over after three
> hours doesn't mean you have to miss extra innings or overtime. With
> MythTV and MRE you can record the entire game no matter how long it
> goes.

You know, as I was just reading replies, it occured to me that
tracking overtime sporting events and last minute scheduling changes
is really something the good folks at Zap2It labs should do (or are
doing?)

Only problem is... we don't want to overload their servers with more
frequent updates... so I got to thinking about all the ugly wget stuff
that flies by when I manually run mythfilldatabase, and how so much of
that data is existing data...

Why couldn't Zap2It put their XML files into some directory structure
that accounts for area code and provider and store that data in
subversion? Then we could pull ONLY THE CHANGES with a svn update,
which is presumably *MUCH* nicer on their servers than wget of 14 days
of schedule data.

Perhaps nice enough that MythTV could check more frequently for
schedule updates?

-Ross
Re: Myth Recording Extender (MRE) v1.0.0 Released [ In reply to ]
On 08/31/06 22:07, Ross Campbell wrote:

>You know, as I was just reading replies, it occured to me that
>tracking overtime sporting events and last minute scheduling changes
>is really something the good folks at Zap2It labs should do (or are
>doing?)

I think they only "publish" the data they are given by the stations. I
don't think they watch all the channels for schedule discrepancies, etc.

Now, if you could convince stations to provide up-to-the-minute
schedule-change information to TMS so they could publish it to allow
people to more easily record the shows on that station so they could
skip commercials...

>Only problem is... we don't want to overload their servers with more
>frequent updates... so I got to thinking about all the ugly wget stuff
>that flies by when I manually run mythfilldatabase, and how so much of
>that data is existing data...
>
>Why couldn't Zap2It put their XML files into some directory structure
>that accounts for area code and provider and store that data in
>subversion? Then we could pull ONLY THE CHANGES with a svn update,
>which is presumably *MUCH* nicer on their servers than wget of 14 days
>of schedule data.
>
>Perhaps nice enough that MythTV could check more frequently for
>schedule updates?

Customized (per-user) lineups. If they weren't customized, DD usage
would require significantly more bandwidth. For example, downloading
listings for the 13 channels I get on DISH network is significantly less
bandwidth than downloading listings for the 890 stations TMS lists for DISH.

TMS explicitly chose the customized lineups--knowing it would require
significantly more server resources than standard lineups from which the
clients could customize listings--to save bandwidth. They also asked
developers of clients to use the bandwidth effectively.

Therefore, MythTV downloads only +1 (tomorrow) and +maxDays (where
maxDays is either a default decided by the grabber maintainer or the
value the user specifies to mythfilldatabase with --max-days). In
theory, the data from +maxDays should be new, so only the data for +1 is
existing data (possibly with a few changes). The only time there would
be significantly more existing data downloaded than new data is when the
user irresponsibly species the --refresh-all option to mythfilldatabase
in MythFillDatabaseArgs or runs the grabber more than once per day.

Mike