Mailing List Archive

No Sound in MythTV on WinTV PVR-350 card

Re: No Sound in MythTV on WinTV PVR-350 card [ In reply to ]
On 15/11/05, Jacob Steenhagen <jacob@steenhagen.us> wrote:

> I've been working on setting up a MythTV installation based on the
> instructions at http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php.
>
> My PC is an Old Dell Dimension.
> Processor: PIII 600
> RAM: 224 MB
> HDA: 20GB; /boot, /, SWAP
> HDB: 20GB; /video
> Video Card: ATI Rage 128 (only used during setup)
> NIC: 3Com 10/11; Netgear 802.11b
> Capture Card: Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350
> OS: Fedora Core 4; TWM (no KDE or GNOME)
>
> As you can see, this is an older machine (though I've seen success
> stories on far less) but it's mostly an experiment right now. If I can
> get everything working, I'll probably upgrade hardware down the road.
>
> I've got the machine mostly working (X/MythTV, Video, TV listings,
> Remote Control) but I can't seem to get the sound working through
> MythTV. What's really strange to me is that if I run:
>
> dd if=/dev/video0 of=/dev/video16 bs=64k
>
> Through an SSH terminal while at the main MythTV screen, I can hear my
> audio (if I shut down X and run the appropriate ivtvctl commands, I
> can see video to go with the audio). But If I select the "Watch TV"
> option in Myth, I get an error:
>
> Error opening audio device(), the error was: Illegal seek
>
> And I'm given to the option to watch TV without sound. Not very useful.
>
> Here's all the mentions of the word 'audio' in the last 350 lines of
> my syslog:
> [root@mythtv mythtv]# tail -n 300 /var/log/messages | grep audio
> Nov 15 16:03:26 mythtv kernel: tveeprom: audio processor = MSP4448
> (type = 1b)
> Nov 15 16:03:28 mythtv kernel: ivtv0: Allocate DMA encoder PCM audio
> stream: 455 x 4608 buffers (2048KB total)
> Nov 15 16:03:35 mythtv kernel: cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_audio_thread
> Nov 15 16:03:35 mythtv kernel: cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_set_tvaudio
>

> I'm guessing it's related to the cx88_audio_thread stuff, but I could
> be wrong (it happens a lot :).

Jacob,

Do you have the ivtv aliases in your /etc/modprobe.conf file to fix
the potential problems with the kernel versions of the some of the
ivtv support drivers (will be fixed in the very latest versions of
ivtv and the kernel now that their changes have been incorporated in
2.6.15)? Also, are you wanting to use the PVR-350 for just TV output,
or do you want to run the whole X session on the PVR?

One way to brute force the problem (if it is due to the wrong drivers
being used for ivtv (the ivtv versions have the same names as the
kernel ones) is to temporarily remove the kernel versions and then
rerunning 'depmod -a'

Nick
Re: No Sound in MythTV on WinTV PVR-350 card [ In reply to ]
I was going to paste my modprobe.conf file, but ssh from my Internet
conencted linux box to the myth box doesn't seem to be working right now.
Odd. Anyway, I have basically have the modprobe.conf from
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php. I pretty much followed that guide,
though I skipped the alsa part because I don't have a sound card as I
intend to simply use the PVR-350's sound output.

My intention is to use the PVR-350 for both X (the MythTV front end) and
TV output.

I did rename the kernel msp3400.ko as suggested toward the end of the
capture card section:
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php?SID&expandables=closed&ivtv=open&pvr350out=open#capture
IIRC, my sound did not work before I did that when I used the dd command,
but after renaming, it did. FWIW, if I do |cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg| and
transfer test.mpg to another computer with mplayer on it, the sound also
works. I just thought of trying out |cat test.mpg > /dev/video16| but I'm
not near the machine right now to test it out.

Re: No Sound in MythTV on WinTV PVR-350 card [ In reply to ]
Jacob Steenhagen wrote:

>I was going to paste my modprobe.conf file, but ssh from my Internet
>conencted linux box to the myth box doesn't seem to be working right now.
>Odd. Anyway, I have basically have the modprobe.conf from
>http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php. I pretty much followed that guide,
>though I skipped the alsa part because I don't have a sound card as I
>intend to simply use the PVR-350's sound output.
>
>My intention is to use the PVR-350 for both X (the MythTV front end) and
>TV output.
>
>I did rename the kernel msp3400.ko as suggested toward the end of the
>capture card section:
>http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php?SID&expandables=closed&ivtv=open&pvr350out=open#capture
>IIRC, my sound did not work before I did that when I used the dd command,
>but after renaming, it did. FWIW, if I do |cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg| and
>transfer test.mpg to another computer with mplayer on it, the sound also
>works. I just thought of trying out |cat test.mpg > /dev/video16| but I'm
>not near the machine right now to test it out.

Sounds like cables plugged in to the wrong ports...

Mike
Re: No Sound in MythTV on WinTV PVR-350 card [ In reply to ]
Re: No Sound in MythTV on WinTV PVR-350 card [ In reply to ]
Jacob Steenhagen wrote:

>On Wed, November 16, 2005 11:18 am, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>

>>Sounds like cables plugged in to the wrong ports...
>>
>Other than the fact that sound and video work properly when using dd to
>pipe /dev/video0 directly to /dev/video16 and the fact that MythTV gives
>an error message when I select the "Watch TV" option, I might think that
>mis-plugging my cables is the problem. However, if I boot up my MythTV box
>and exit Myth, then run the following (from memory, may be typos), I get
>perfect sound and video:
>
>pkill twm
>ivtvctl -p4
>ivtvctl -u 0x3000
>ivtvfbctl /dev/fb1 -noglobalalpha -localalpha
>dd if=/dev/video0 of=/dev/video16 bs=64k
>
>At this point, my TV starts displaying the video and playing the audio
>from channel 3.
>
>To me, this says that the cables are properly plugged in and the ivtv
>driver is doing what it's supposed to. The problem arises when I try to
>watch (or record) TV in MythTV.

Sorry. Couldn't figure that out from what was left in the reply to
which I responded.

So, did you check the box:

TV audio through PVR-350 only
Normally, PVR-350 audio is looped into a sound card; here you can
indicate when that is not the case. MythTV cannot control TV volume when
this option is checked.

Mike
Re: No Sound in MythTV on WinTV PVR-350 card [ In reply to ]
Re: No Sound in MythTV on WinTV PVR-350 card [ In reply to ]
Jacob Steenhagen wrote:

>On Wed, November 16, 2005 12:03 pm, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>

>>Sorry. Couldn't figure that out from what was left in the reply to
>>which I responded.
>>
>>So, did you check the box:
>>
>>TV audio through PVR-350 only
>>Normally, PVR-350 audio is looped into a sound card; here you can
>>indicate when that is not the case. MythTV cannot control TV volume when
>>this option is checked.
>>

>Ya, I have a tendency to cut out cruft when I'm replying...
>
>Anyway, I don't recall seeing any such box anywhere. Is that supposed to
>be in mythtv-setup? Or in the config in the mythfrontend? I'll be more
>than happy to look again when I get home :).

Frontend setup. It was added in changeset 5819 (
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/5819 ), so if you're not running
SVN, you either need to patch your 0.18 version or upgrade to SVN (all
SVN disclaimers apply--you should be reading the -dev and -commits list
to run SVN, some things are currently disabled in SVN, etc.).

>It's also my understanding that when there is no seperate sound card that
>other media functions (such as playing DVD's, MP3's, and games) don't
>work.

Well, the audio won't work. How the app deals with lack of audio is
dependent on the app.

Mike
Re: No Sound in MythTV on WinTV PVR-350 card [ In reply to ]
On Wed, November 16, 2005 1:17 pm, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Frontend setup. It was added in changeset 5819 (
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/5819 ), so if you're not running
> SVN, you either need to patch your 0.18 version or upgrade to SVN (all
> SVN disclaimers apply--you should be reading the -dev and -commits list
> to run SVN, some things are currently disabled in SVN, etc.).

I'm very new to MythTV and was hoping to get away with using the RPM based
(read, pre-compiled, easy to update) packages. I know that building
yourself gives more flexibility than using pre-packaged stuff, but
sometimes simplicity is prefered.

Anyway, it looks like revision 5918 was commited 23-Mar-2005 while version
0.18.1 of MythTV was released 16-May-2005. I know it's possible that it
branched before that, but I'm hoping that maybe you'll tell me that 0.18.1
contains the patch from rev 5918 (I'm not home now, so I can't check it
out).
Re: No Sound in MythTV on WinTV PVR-350 card [ In reply to ]
Jacob Steenhagen wrote:

>On Wed, November 16, 2005 1:17 pm, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>

>>Frontend setup. It was added in changeset 5819 (
>>http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/5819 ), so if you're not running
>>SVN, you either need to patch your 0.18 version or upgrade to SVN (all
>>SVN disclaimers apply--you should be reading the -dev and -commits list
>>to run SVN, some things are currently disabled in SVN, etc.).
>>

>I'm very new to MythTV and was hoping to get away with using the RPM based
>(read, pre-compiled, easy to update) packages. I know that building
>yourself gives more flexibility than using pre-packaged stuff, but
>sometimes simplicity is prefered.

Good plan.

>Anyway, it looks like revision 5918 was commited 23-Mar-2005 while version
>0.18.1 of MythTV was released 16-May-2005. I know it's possible that it
>branched before that, but I'm hoping that maybe you'll tell me that 0.18.1
>contains the patch from rev 5918 (I'm not home now, so I can't check it
>out).

You're right. Actually, it's in 0.18 (and 0.18.1 and 0.18-fixes). I
didn't look closely enough at the date. So, basically, it means that
you just didn't see the setting in setup.

Mike
Re: No Sound in MythTV on WinTV PVR-350 card [ In reply to ]
On Wed, November 16, 2005 2:07 pm, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> You're right. Actually, it's in 0.18 (and 0.18.1 and 0.18-fixes). I
> didn't look closely enough at the date. So, basically, it means that
> you just didn't see the setting in setup.

I still didn't see the setting in mythfrontend, but I modified the
database to set that setting and the enable ouptut option to "1". Upon
restarting Myth, it worked. Thanks :)
Re: No Sound in MythTV on WinTV PVR-350 card [ In reply to ]
On 11/17/05 08:43, Jacob Steenhagen wrote:

>On Wed, November 16, 2005 2:07 pm, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>

>>You're right. Actually, it's in 0.18 (and 0.18.1 and 0.18-fixes). I
>>didn't look closely enough at the date. So, basically, it means that
>>you just didn't see the setting in setup.
>>

>I still didn't see the setting in mythfrontend, but I modified the
>database to set that setting and the enable ouptut option to "1". Upon
>restarting Myth, it worked. Thanks :)

Utilities/Setup|Setup|TV Settings|Playback

page 5, "Hardware Decoding Settings" in a checkbox at the bottom of the
page. It's only visible if you select "Use the PVR-350's TV out/MPEG
decoder." (You /do/ have this checked, right?)

Mike