Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4 5 6 7  View All
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]

(http://www.byopvr.com/Sections+index-req-viewarticle-artid-13-page-1.html).

> Everything is installed/compiled and configured, but when I try to
watch
> TV or record something, all I ever get is static (even using the cat

> /dev/video0 > test.mpg). Every channel is the same...just static.
> Watching videos (from other sources) play just fine in both mplayer
> and mythtv.

Have you tried tvtime or one of the other tv apps outside of MythTV?
That may point you in the right direction. Have you tried feeding
the input of the 350 with a known good signal like the output from
a VCR or something similar?

> I've checked, rechecked, and triple checked all of the settings in
> mythtvsetup. Nothing changes anything.

<snip>

One item I noticed in there was that the input was being switched
to S-video. Do you have your input connected to s-video or
the coax out?

> I had everything running fine (tv was visible) with a different
> motherboard, but changed from a ATX-->mini-ATX to fit this
> in a smaller case. Formated and reinstalled with thenew
> motherboard, but have never had any luck getting the tv
> to work.
>
> Cable does work (checked it with a tv).
>
> Getting frustrated as I had this working; I'm out of ideas of
> what to check.

Don't get too frustrated. I am fighting with other problems,
but I've only taken 6 hours to fix my video problem after doing
an apt-get dist-upgrade only to discover I've got sound
problems. And I haven't even changed hardware...

> Checked this mailing list for similiar problems, but nothing
> mentioned in any of them seem to fix my problems. I actually
> don't see any problems in any logs/files, which makes fixing
> this that much harder.
>
>Any help would be appriciated.

Check your inputs. Is this the only frontend in the setup, or
do you have other frontends separate from this backend?

Paul
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
--- Jerry Danzinger <vipernightwolf85@hotmail.com>
wrote:
---------------------------------
I am looking to set my computer up with mythtv so I
can watch/record shows on my computer. The problem is
I am using Direct Tv's satellite service and i have
found no information on what tuner card to use, and
how to set it up. I was wondering if anyone else
sucessfully did this, and if they could help me out
with the hardware as well as setting it up after
getting the card.

-zonen-

My myth box is connected to my DirecTV box using the
s-video in of a hauppage freestyle (pvr250) works
fine. I have an IR Blaster that I bought from
http://www.mytvstore.com/product_id_005.html and use a
great perl script that I got from some guy named
William, I think you can get the script from the same
site. I went with the ir blaster because my DTV box
doesn't have the serial port.

Howard

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
I use twin Hauppauge NovaT PCIs on a Celeron 2.4Ghz, and there is CPU
space aplenty for recording TV on both cards, and watching a recording
at the same. They take very little CPU at all , its mainly the
playback (mpeg decoding) that has the cpu hit, but even then, I'm well
under <20% CPU usage. (Commerical flagging is an altogether different
question, I have that turned off!)

But do try and get at least 2 cards or you'll get scheduling conflicts
depressingly often, its worth the initial outlay, honest ;)
- Ciaran

On 26/09/05, Ben Edwards <Ben.Edwards@flybe.com> wrote:

> I'm new to this list but have thinking about building a MythTV box of a year
> or so. I've now started ordering bits (well a antec overture II case) and
> am planning on using a Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-t freeview PCI card and
> Ubuntu/512MB memory. As you can probably imagine, I have a few questions.
>
> Firstly what processor should I get. I had a AMD Sempron 3000+ to 3400+ in
> mind. What I was hoping on being able to do is allow the TV card to do the
> recording and have enough oomth in the CPU to be able to decode/play at the
> same time as recording or do I need two TV cards to do this. Being able to
> play and record at the same time is very important to me. How do I wire
> things up to record/play at the same time. If I had two cards would I have
> one wired to record an the other to play and do they have to be the same
> cards?
>
> Is the 'Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-t PCI card' a good choice or are there other
> freeview cards I should consider (freeview is the relatively new free to
> view TV service here in the UK). I am assuming here that I should go for a
> internal PCI card because I am not sure about compatibility with external
> USB cards although having a external card is better from the point of you of
> interference.
>
> Regards,
> Ben
>

> Ben Edwards
> Analyst Programmer
>

> The backbone of UK travel
>
> Telephone: +44 (0) 01392 364520
> Fax: +44 (0)1392 366151
> Email: ben.edwards@flybe.com
> Internet: www.flybe.com
>

> DISCLAIMER: The information in this Internet E-mail or Fax is confidential
> and is intended solely for the addressee. Access, copying or re-use of
> information in it by anyone else is unauthorised. Any views or opinions
> presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
> those of Flybe or any of its affiliates. If you are not the intended
> recipient please contact postmaster@flybe.com
>
> Flybe is the trading name of Jersey European Airways (UK) Ltd, Jack Walker
> House, Exeter International Airport, Exeter, Devon EX5 2HL
>
> Company Registration No. 2769768

- Ciaran
(I now have far too many G-Mail invites available, anyone who wants
one, gets one)
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]

> Firstly what processor should I get. I had a AMD Sempron 3000+ to 3400+ in
> mind.

If you have not planned to do HDTV, then these processors are overkill. I
use an AMD 1800+, which uses around 25% of its CPU when decoding to a
GeForce4 MX440.

What I was hoping on being able to do is allow the TV card to do the
> recording and have enough oomth in the CPU to be able to decode/play at the
> same time as recording or do I need two TV cards to do this.

If you want to record two shows at a time or if you want to watch live tv
while recording a second, then you need two TV cards. Otherwise you only
need one (I have only one).
Niels Dybdahl
RE: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
So from what you said it is no problem to record one show and watch a
pre-recorded one at the same time with one card (like you can with Tivo)?

Also what is the issue with CPU usage and burning to DVD, or is it best to
copy video files to another computer and do it there, I'me asumimg I will
need to transcode from freeview stream to a DVD compatable format and this
is going to max out cpu.

My other option is to use my current motherboard (P4 1.7) for my MythTV box
and replace my main system. Would this be up to it?

Regards,
Ben

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On 26/09/05, Ben Edwards <Ben.Edwards@flybe.com> wrote:
> I'm new to this list but have thinking about building a MythTV box of a year
> or so. I've now started ordering bits (well a antec overture II case) and
> am planning on using a Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-t freeview PCI card and
> Ubuntu/512MB memory. As you can probably imagine, I have a few questions.
>
> Firstly what processor should I get. I had a AMD Sempron 3000+ to 3400+ in
> mind. What I was hoping on being able to do is allow the TV card to do the
> recording and have enough oomth in the CPU to be able to decode/play at the
> same time as recording or do I need two TV cards to do this.

A single TV card will allow you to record while watching the programme
being recorded (with rewind, pause etc) or to watch any previously
made recording. What you won't be able to do is watch any other live
channel (because the tuner card will be locked to the channel being
recorded).

As far as CPU oomph goes. I have two Nova-t PCI cards in my box and
am able to record two channels while also watching, and I'm using an
AMD XP1400 CPU (1GHz Clock) so I don't think you'd have any problems
with any of today's CPUs.

> Being able to play and record at the same time is very important to me. How do I wire
> things up to record/play at the same time. If I had two cards would I have
> one wired to record an the other to play and do they have to be the same
> cards?

The NOVA-t PCI card writes the incoming mpeg stream to a file on your
hard disk. Multiple cards allow you to stream several channels to
disk simultaneously (1 per card)

Watching the programme requires a graphics card with TV out capability
and a sound card connected to amp/speakers. MythTV playback simply
streams one of the files on disk to the sound/video out.

> Is the 'Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-t PCI card' a good choice or are there other
> freeview cards I should consider (freeview is the relatively new free to
> view TV service here in the UK). I am assuming here that I should go for a
> internal PCI card because I am not sure about compatibility with external
> USB cards although having a external card is better from the point of you of
> interference.

I've never used a USB card, but the PCI cards were certainly easy to
setup. All I had to do was.

modprobe dvb-cx88

Everything else could be done from with Myth

Good Luck
> The NOVA-t PCI card writes the incoming mpeg stream to a file on your
> hard disk. Multiple cards allow you to stream several channels to
> disk simultaneously (1 per card)
>
> Watching the programme requires a graphics card with TV out capability
> and a sound card connected to amp/speakers. MythTV playback simply
> streams one of the files on disk to the sound/video out.

Now I get it ;) So it is a graphics card with TV out connected to the TV, I
guess the TV outs on the TV cards are all daisy chained into the Graphics
card (with TV in/out). I did not realise I would need a graphics card with
TV out as well as the freeview cards. I thought the TV out on the freeview
card was used to connect to the TV. What TV out graphics card do you
recommend?

Regards
Ben

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]

> Now I get it ;) So it is a graphics card with TV out connected to the TV, I
> guess the TV outs on the TV cards are all daisy chained into the Graphics
> card (with TV in/out). I did not realise I would need a graphics card with
> TV out as well as the freeview cards. I thought the TV out on the freeview
> card was used to connect to the TV. What TV out graphics card do you
> recommend?

Hhmm. I'm not sure we're quite there yet.

There's no daisy chaining involved. I can't even remember a TV out on
the Nova-t card. If there is one then I think it's just a feed
through of the input single - to allow you to feed the input into a
second card.

No, the signal gets from your NOVA-t card to the graphics card via
your hard disk.

Step 1 Nova-T card creates a file on your hard disk.

Step 2 Play file using MythTV or other media playing software.

As regards choice of graphics card - Most people seem to be using
nVidia cards which, AFAIK all have S-Video outputs on them. I'm using
a MX440 which is fanless (quieter), 5200s also seem popular. If you
don't want to go gaming then you don't need a particularly recent card

Hope this helps.
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
The nova-t's don't have tv-outs, so no chaining required, they write
out mpeg files to the harddisk, and your gfx card has a tv-out on it.
I can't recommend one as one was built into the ASUS motherboard of
the pundit I opted for (one of the reasons I opted for a pundit ;) )
Cheers,

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
If noise is the problem, go to
www.silentpcreview.com<http://www.silentpcreview.com>they have lots of
information on quieting a loud case.

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
Rajeev Goonewardene wrote:

> I have successfully got mythtv working and it works great - very
> impressed by the work, thank you Issac and Jarod for the great
> software and howtos. One small question, I have the PVR-350 card and
> I was wondering if I can get mplayer to play the DVD sound through
> the PVR350's audio out so I don't have to switch cables when watching
> a DVD. This also would be nice for any media I am playing through
> mplayer.

This is really a question for ivtv mailing lists.

TTBOMK, the only way to get audio from the PVR-350's audio out is to
decode MPEG-2 with the PVR-350's onboard decoder. (This used to be the
case, so unless something significant has changed in the last year...)

However, you wouldn't have to switch cables if you plugged in the cables
correctly:
PVR-350 out to soundcard in, then soundcard out to speakers or A/V
receiver. Then, configure sound card settings (search the lists for
configuration info).

Mike
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
I have tried this. It is possible by using alsactl to capture the line out
and redirect. The problem is that the sound quality is very poor when you do
this. I beleive the artical on how to do this was on the myth wiki site. My
advice is not to try.

On 12/23/05, Rajeev Goonewardene <fedora@ready2think.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have successfully got mythtv working and it works great - very
> impressed by the work, thank you Issac and Jarod for the great
> software and howtos. One small question, I have the PVR-350 card and
> I was wondering if I can get mplayer to play the DVD sound through
> the PVR350's audio out so I don't have to switch cables when watching
> a DVD. This also would be nice for any media I am playing through
> mplayer.
>
> Any help would be really appreciated.
> Thanks,
>
> Rajeev.

Joshua Frank
frankjoshua@gmail.com
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
I thought I was having a problem when I first tried this, but it
turned out to be a lot of excess in/outputs turned on that didn't
need to be causing insane amounts of noise. I also didn't have my
capture level high enough so I was blasting my receiver to
compensate. Once I turned off anything I didn't need and adjusted the
levels, it was all good. I ended up only using Mic 1 for capture at
100, PCM set to 92, Wave set to 92 and Master set to 92. alsamixer
from a remote session helped a lot in my sound card config by playing
something on the myth front end and adjusting from remote session
until the audio levels were where I needed them to be. Then alsactl
store to retain the settings.

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
H P Ladds wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> Any help in isolating this problem would be great.
>
> I can watch live TV with TVtime. Mythtv will not tune-in channels.
>
> Mythtv seems to be set up correctly as the channels appear to change
> and the channel descriptions correctly indicate the show which is
> currently broadcast.
>
> I use an Over The Air Antenna and watch on my monitor.
>
> Shouldn't Mythtv be able to deliver pictures if TVtime can?

1) Do you have the ivtv-tune utility installed? (in case you use ivtv)
2) Have you checked /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log for channel changing
problems? Make sure MYTH_VERBOSE is set to "channel" in
/etc/conf.d/mythbackend.

Best regards
Rickard Borgmäster
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
Richard,

Thank you.

1) I don't have ivtv-tune installed; however, I don't use Conextent's
CX23415/CX23416 chips. I DO user their Bt878 chipset. From what I've
briefly read, IVTV is not for use with BT878. Should I install it
anyway?

2) Nor do I have "/etc/conf.d/mythbackend;" however, my backend seems
to be running well.

Interestingly, I don't have ivtv, or xawtv on my FC#3 machine. Makes
me wonder how TVtime runs at all -- on bttv modules perhaps?

I used the ATrpms "mythtv-suite" package to install. Maybe
"Myth-suite" doesn't accommodate Bt878 card/chipset?

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
> 1) I don't have ivtv-tune installed; however, I don't use Conextent's
> CX23415/CX23416 chips. I DO user their Bt878 chipset. From what I've
> briefly read, IVTV is not for use with BT878. Should I install it
> anyway?
>
> 2) Nor do I have "/etc/conf.d/mythbackend;" however, my backend seems
> to be running well.
>
> Interestingly, I don't have ivtv, or xawtv on my FC#3 machine. Makes
> me wonder how TVtime runs at all -- on bttv modules perhaps?

no, you don't need ivtv if you have a software encoder card based on
bt878. have you setup the tuner card in mythtv-setup? (or whatever it
is called on FC3)

you need to tell mythtv about the tuner card before it can use it.
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
Trent Sikkema writes:

> I am new to linux and knoppmyth i did the automatic install and after the
> first four steps what do i do after that?
>
> --
> Trent Sikkema
> 101 Freeman
> Iowa State

Assuming you mean steps 1 thru 4 in mythtv-setup... Simply exit
mythtv-setup (<ESC> your way out). After this, mythfilldatabase will run,
after that the frontend should start.

Regards,

Cecil

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
I did the part all the way up to filling in username and that stuff then it
goes to the root@tty1[/] #

On 2/3/06, cwatson@linkline.com <cwatson@linkline.com> wrote:

> Trent Sikkema writes:
>
> > I am new to linux and knoppmyth i did the automatic install and after
> the
> > first four steps what do i do after that?
> >
> > --
> > Trent Sikkema
> > 101 Freeman
> > Iowa State
>
> Assuming you mean steps 1 thru 4 in mythtv-setup... Simply exit
> mythtv-setup (<ESC> your way out). After this, mythfilldatabase will run,
> after that the frontend should start.
>
> Regards,
>
> Cecil

Trent Sikkema
101 Freeman
Iowa State
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/

--
Steve
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
According to Trent Sikkema,
> I searched the forums and couldnt find anything on this. I thought i set the
> time correctly but my program guide is off like 7 or 8 hours. Is there a
> place to up date the actual time or had anyone else had this problem. Thanks
> for the help.

You might consider using a better subject line.

Check your timezone (run date in a shell).

I find it handy to install ntp-simple so my system gets its
time from the network.

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
> Check your timezone (run date in a shell).

And do remember that in Linux/UNIX you can have different
timezones for every user. ie. Check your mythtv user timezone
and compare to the others. (timezone in TZ variable in login script)

Dag

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
i had this problem. first had to set the date and time using some date
command, rdate? then i used ntp to sync my time - ntpupdate. then i used
the command 'tzconfig' to set the timezone. after that, grab your channel
data again and run 'mythfilldatabase'.
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
how do i get to the shell to do all of this

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
> On 2/4/06, Tim <news@timandnoelle.com> wrote:
> >
> > i had this problem. first had to set the date and time using some date
> > command, rdate? then i used ntp to sync my time - ntpupdate. then i used
> > the command 'tzconfig' to set the timezone. after that, grab your channel
> > data again and run 'mythfilldatabase'.

According to Trent Sikkema,
> how do i get to the shell to do all of this

How did you get mythtv installed if you don't know how to
get a shell? Anyhow, simplest way to tell you is to use
Ctrl-Alt-F1 through F6 for the six virtual consoles.

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
well since it is all step by step and never have to program anything i
didnt really have to use the shell