Just out of curiosity, anyone know of a small machine, doesn't have to
be as small, with cpu ram and queit power system for less? otherwise
for $500 looks pretty good.
Re: Mac [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:17:58 -0500, MacNean C. Tyrrell
<dardack@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> I just came across a picture of the mac mini. Can you say sweet?? I
> did read that big long discussion last month about it, but was wondering
> if anyone had bought one and put mythtv on it yet? Also, currently i
> have one machine as my backend/frontend but running that as a frontend
> could I add part of the 40 gigs to the recording part? Do you have to
> blow anything off from it, or can you also run it as a regular computer
> and then switch to mythtv? Does lirc or similar run on it to control
> myth with a remote? Does it work well for DVD playback? Anyone know if
> it can handle HD playback? BTW what speed would i need for HD recording
> say for the back end?
> Any questions i'm forgetting to ask?
>
> Just out of curiosity, anyone know of a small machine, doesn't have to
> be as small, with cpu ram and queit power system for less? otherwise
> for $500 looks pretty good.

There's always the XBox. Although I guess many people would laugh if
you called it small! :)

-Kyle
Re: Mac [ In reply to ]
Only problem I see is spdif out, otherwise would be sweet.
I also understand that 0.17 runs native.
unless there is usb option?

Mike Choy

Re: Mac [ In reply to ]
I have been running the OS X frontend (.17) on my MAC mini since
I upgraded my backend yesterday. You can purchase a DVI - SVideo/Composite
adapter for $20 from Apple (M9267G/A) if you don't have a DVI input on
your display. Also, the bluetooth keyboard and mouse work well. There is
a remote available (TB638LL/A, $59.95)that plugs in USB and should be able
to control myth since there's a keyboard mapping application. I do not
have a remote.

My mini plays default rate video from my backend which records from a
PVR-250. I have the 1.25Ghz version. I have upgraded the RAM to 1GB so I
can't tell you how well it would work with the standard 256M. I also
cannot verify the ability to playback MPEG4 streams. YMMV

Unfortunately, I cannot attest to the ability to process HD quality video.
The OS X page from the Wiki states that it's not suggested at this time.
DVD playback with the DVD player application included with OS X seems to
work without any problems so far. I haven't had a chance to really test
the DVD playback ability that much yet.

As for the frontend application, it is a user application from Jeremiah's
binaries. (Thanks Jeremiah!) You don't have to install the development
tools or do any compilation if you use his package. I have an alias on
the desktop and after a double-click, up comes mythfrontend.

In theory, you could map a share on the MAC to your backend to increase
available storage. OS X is built on a BSD core, so SMB and NFS are options.
I have not tried this myself, and doubt that I will.

Alternatively, you could build a PC system that would accomplish the same
task. If you want a Macintosh to begin with, or like the design, the mini
is a decent choice. I purchased the mini to have a Macintosh. Being able
to use it as a frontend with my MythTV system is an added bonus for me.

You'll want to check out the following pages for more info:
http://whpress.com/mythtv/
http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/MythOnMacOsx

Re: Mac [ In reply to ]
Mike is correct there. No optical output. The only output is a stereo
jack.

Apple does list this accessory on the MAC mini page though:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

Provides a 5.1 optical interface through the USB. (AC-3 and DTS)

Re: Mac [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:06:09 -0500 (EST), Anthony Joint
<ajoint@jointcs.net> wrote:
> I have the 1.25Ghz version. I have upgraded the RAM to 1GB so I
> can't tell you how well it would work with the standard 256M.

256M is hardly enough for OS X to run properly by itself, I'm pretty
certain that mythfrontend wouldn't like it. Not sure if 512M would
suffice.

Jens
Re: Mac [ In reply to ]
On 13-Feb-05, at 12:24 PM, Mike Choy wrote:

> Only problem I see is spdif out, otherwise would be sweet.
> I also understand that 0.17 runs native.
> unless there is usb option?

M-Audio Transit
(http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main-1.html) $100
Re: MAC [ In reply to ]
> On 12 Apr 2020, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> has anybody seen a frontend build for osx of 31?
>>
>> A bit ago I saw a master build when 31 was master but I can't find it
>>
>> Thanks
>> James
>

> I can't find any pre-built versions either.
>
> I have been trying to get it t31 to compile and work on Catalina for a few
> days now. I managed to get 31-fixes compiled, but am now currently getting
> segfaults when I go to watch any videos.
>
> Assuming I can work past the segfault issues (have a cry for help on the
> mythtv forums) I'll try post it somewhere for download.

That would be very nice. If I can help in any way please ask.
I tried to build lots but failed mizerably. If you post HOW you did it I can help WRT segsaults

James
Re: MAC [ In reply to ]

> That would be very nice. If I can help in any way please ask.
> I tried to build lots but failed mizerably. If you post HOW you did it I
> can help WRT segsaults

First note I'm using macports for the support libraries. I was using
homebrew up until a week ago and switched back to macports as it seems to
be more compatible with mythfronted compiling on a mac.

Here's the blackmagic I had to do to get it t compile. For the most part,
this should work in a zsh or sh script. Note there is one manual code fix
required (packaging/OSX/build/makebundle.sh). Also, it appears that my
case-sensitive filesystem caused issues on linking the "VideoToolbox"
framework (mythtv source has changed this incorrectly listed at
VideoToolBox). I've brute forced a sed command to fix the framework
reference. The main files that requires a fix is $SRC_DIR/libs/libmythtv/
libmythtv.pro.

You probably want to skip the fix I put in for VideoToolbox below.

# Step 1, install macports

# Specify mythtv version to pull from git
MYTHTV_VERS="fixes/31"

# setup the working directory structure
REPO_DIR=~/mythtv-31
mkdir -p $REPO_DIR

# setup mythtv source from git
cd $REPO_DIR
git clone -b $MYTHTV_VERS git://github.com/MythTV/mythtv.git
cd $REPO_DIR/mythtv
git clone https://github.com/MythTV/packaging.git
SRC_DIR=$REPO_DIR/mythtv/mythtv

# add necessary packages from macports
sudo port install pkgconfig qt5-qtwebkit qt5-qtscript qt5 yasm
libsamplerate taglib libbluray exiv2 lame x264 x265 openssl libxml2 gsed

# fix add of framework VideoToolbox in libmyth/libmyth.pro
# This may only be necessary in case sensitive file systems
grep -rli 'VideoToolBox' * | xargs -I@ gsed -i ''
's/VideoToolBox/VideoToolbox/g' @

# comment out filters in packaging (...I think they've been removed???)

# file is $REPO_DIR/packaging/OSX/build/makebundle.sh

# ...I don't have an automated way to do this yet, so comment out the
following line:
#73: echo "Installing filters"
#74: make -C ../../filters INSTALL_ROOT=`pwd` install
>/dev/null

# add links to some of the macports packages
cd $SRC_DIR
ln -s /opt/local/include/samplerate.h
$SRC_DIR/libs/libmyth/audio/samplerate.h
mkdir -p $SRC_DIR/libs/libmythmetadata/libbluray/
ln -s /opt/local/include/libbluray/*.h
$SRC_DIR/libs/libmythmetadata/libbluray/
mkdir -p $SRC_DIR/libs/libmythmetadata/exiv2/
ln -s /opt/local/include/exiv2/*.h* $SRC_DIR/libs/libmythmetadata/exiv2/
mkdir -p $SRC_DIR/libs/libmyth/openssl/
ln -s /opt/local/include/openssl/*.h $SRC_DIR/libs/libmyth/openssl/

# configure mythfrontend
./configure --enable-mac-bundle --qmake=/opt/local/libexec/qt5/bin/qmake
--disable-backend --runprefix=../Resources --disable-lirc --disable-distcc
--extra-cflags="-fno-stack-check" --extra-cxxflags="-fno-stack-check"

#compile mythfrontend
make

# Package up the executable
cd $SRC_DIR/programs/mythfrontend
/opt/local/libexec/qt5/bin/macdeployqt mythfrontend.app
$REPO_DIR/mythtv/packaging/OSX/build/makebundle.sh mythfrontend.app
cp mythfrontend.icns mythfrontend.app/Contents/Resources/application.icns
Re: MAC [ In reply to ]
James, any luck getting mythfronted to compile and run?

I'm still running into segfault issues on playback which I suspect is an
artifact of my build environment.

https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3728

Here's a link to the forum post I started where Craig (pvr4me) has been
extremely helpful in helping to troubleshoot.

The forum post also has my latest build "script" that adds in support for
python and perl bindings and adds in a few macports components.

Re: MAC [ In reply to ]
> On 25 Apr 2020, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>

> James, any luck getting mythfronted to compile and run?
>
> I'm still running into segfault issues on playback which I suspect is an
> artifact of my build environment.
>
> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3728
>
> Here's a link to the forum post I started where Craig (pvr4me) has been
> extremely helpful in helping to troubleshoot.
>
> The forum post also has my latest build "script" that adds in support for
> python and perl bindings and adds in a few macports components.

My backend machine went ping, so I spent days fixing it.
I am using the 30 build (mac frontend) where I struggled to get other than 1/4 size video on any size screen, but I will go there shortly
James
Re: MAC [ In reply to ]
I just posted those links yesterday after I finally got a successful build
with no segfaults.

Has anyone used the app (besides me...) and can confirm it's actually
working? It "should" work with older versions of MacOS, I think down to
10.10 is what was stated in the compile logs.
Re: MAC [ In reply to ]
> On 11 May 2020, at 10:55 am, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>
> I just posted those links yesterday after I finally got a successful build
> with no segfaults.
>
> Has anyone used the app (besides me...) and can confirm it's actually
> working? It "should" work with older versions of MacOS, I think down to
> 10.10 is what was stated in the compile logs.

John first thanks very much for all your work.

I built, on catelina using your latest build script. (yes it a PIA to keep having to say [y])
I get exactly the same error as my high sierra system, namely missing ff_codec_id_string. It is not trivial to skip as it occurs in many places.

I tried your dmg but get a pitch dark screen, not even the option of setup

James
Re: MAC [ In reply to ]

> I built, on catelina using your latest build script. (yes it a PIA to keep
> having to say [y])
> I get exactly the same error as my high sierra system, namely missing
> ff_codec_id_string. It is not trivial to skip as it occurs in many places.
>
> I tried your dmg but get a pitch dark screen, not even the option of setup

There's now an ansible script to help reduce all of those yeses. It should
work but will need one patch file in its current state. Just let me know if
you go that route. Here's what you'll need to do for ansible (besides the
patch...).

sudo port -v selfupdate
sudo port upgrade outdated

sudo port install py38-ansible

sudo ansible-playbook-3.8 -i hosts.macports qt5.yml

Also, the build script is updated here in the second post (I had some
errors in the older versions):

https://forum.mythtv.org/posting.php?mode=edit&f=26&p=17935

What version of QT and Xcode are you using?

Can you send out your output from when you run the configure command? I'll
see if I can find any missing dependencies.

Also, try downloading and running these two .dmg's. These are the versions
I built off of my VM with a non-case sensitive filesystem with Xcode 10.3
and 10.4. Maybe one of them will make the black screen go away...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oupyorffvp0fop3/mythfrontend-31-xcode11.3.dmg?dl=0
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/oupyorffvp0fop3/mythfrontend-31-xcode11.3.dmg?dl=0>
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rps36drqo04frbk/mythfrontend-31-xcode11.4.dmg?dl=0

BTW, do you have an old .mythtv directory in your User folders? If so, it
might be worth archiving it and seeing if the compiled app comes up.

Good luck!!!!
John
Re: MAC [ In reply to ]
I think the reason for the black screen could be related to the hard coded paths for the menu xml files, that certainly seems to be the problem that I’m having.

RThe regards,
Dave.

Sent from my iPad

Re: MAC [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 8:05 AM Dave Pearson (Lists) <
lists@the-pearsons.co.uk> wrote:

> I think the reason for the black screen could be related to the hard coded
> paths for the menu xml files, that certainly seems to be the problem that
> I’m having.

Dave, can you elaborate on which xml files? Happy to try to fix the
compiled version I've posted, just need some pointers on where to look.
Re: MAC [ In reply to ]
Hi John,

Sorry, I was in a bit of a rush when I responded earlier today, this is what I get in the console when I try to start mythfrontend:

2020-05-11 15:27:39.915962 W  MythUIHelper: No theme dir: '/Users/jhoyt/mythtv-31/31-osx-64bit/build/install/share/mythtv/themes/MythCenter'

2020-05-11 15:27:39.915997 W  MythUIHelper: No default theme dir: '/Users/jhoyt/mythtv-31/31-osx-64bit/build/install/share/mythtv/themes/MythCenter'

2020-05-11 15:27:39.916020 E  MythUIHelper: No fallback GUI theme dir: '/Users/jhoyt/mythtv-31/31-osx-64bit/build/install/share/mythtv/themes/Terra'

2020-05-11 15:27:39.916035 E  Couldn't find theme 'MythCenter'

and then it exits.

Regards,

Dave.

Re: MAC [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 10:30 AM Dave Pearson (Lists) <
lists@the-pearsons.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi John,
>

> Sorry, I was in a bit of a rush when I responded earlier today, this is
> what I get in the console when I try to start mythfrontend:
>

> 2020-05-11 15:27:39.915962 W MythUIHelper: No theme dir:
> '/Users/jhoyt/mythtv-31/31-osx-64bit/build/install/share/mythtv/themes/MythCenter'
>
> 2020-05-11 15:27:39.915997 W MythUIHelper: No default theme dir:
> '/Users/jhoyt/mythtv-31/31-osx-64bit/build/install/share/mythtv/themes/MythCenter'
>
> 2020-05-11 15:27:39.916020 E MythUIHelper: No fallback GUI theme dir:
> '/Users/jhoyt/mythtv-31/31-osx-64bit/build/install/share/mythtv/themes/Terra'
>
> 2020-05-11 15:27:39.916035 E Couldn't find theme 'MythCenter'
>

> and then it exits.

Thanks! I'll see if I can fix the issue in my next compiled version.
Looks like specifying an install dir caused some unintended pathing...
Re: MAC [ In reply to ]
It looks like I missed the "--runprefix=../Resources" when calling
configure. Also makebundle did not copy the themes and i18n folders into
the app. I'm compiling now and hoping to post a new .dmg file up to
dropbox tomorrow morning.

Re: MAC [ In reply to ]
I take it back, the compile completed before I gave up for the evening.

Please try the file at this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xarebulww4pgg9h/mythfrontend-31.dmg?dl=0

I take it back, the compile completed before I gave up for the evening.

Please try the file at this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xarebulww4pgg9h/mythfrontend-31.dmg?dl=0
Hi John,

That's fixed the menus, now all I need to do is figure out the right playback profile settings so that the video displays in full screen on my MacBook Pro Retina, rather than just taking up the bottom left quarter.

Regards,

Dave.
Re: MAC [ In reply to ]
> On 12 May 2020, at 1:28 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>
> I take it back, the compile completed before I gave up for the evening.
>
> Please try the file at this link:?https://www.dropbox.com/s/xarebulww4pgg9h/mythfrontend-31.dmg?dl=0
> Hi John,
>

> That's fixed the menus, now all I need to do is figure out the right playback profile settings so that the video displays in full screen on my MacBook Pro Retina, rather than just taking up the bottom left quarter.

OK this dmg works - thank you

The video render that works (1/4 size vs full size) on 30 is opengl-rgba. That render is not availeable in John's 31 dmg so I'll look around (at how it's done)

I think this is the dmg for 30 that works
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuyd3r0ux6b7jmk/mythfrontend.zip

What you can do, but it's quite horrible, is have seperate gui and video sizes. Myth is fine but all other 'spaces' are messed up

James
Re: MAC [ In reply to ]
> On 12 May 2020, at 1:28 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>
> I take it back, the compile completed before I gave up for the evening.
>
> Please try the file at this link:?https://www.dropbox.com/s/xarebulww4pgg9h/mythfrontend-31.dmg?dl=0
> Hi John,
>

> That's fixed the menus, now all I need to do is figure out the right playback profile settings so that the video displays in full screen on my MacBook Pro Retina, rather than just taking up the bottom left quarter.

This was an accident, I'd never try it but using the 30 dmg with renderer set to opengl-rgba I am watching full screen recordings on a 31 backend !!!

metadata lookup for both TV and Movie is working.

I'd post a picture but I am 100% certain that it is true.
I think this is the dmg for 30 that works
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuyd3r0ux6b7jmk/mythfrontend.zip
If there are issues I have a copy.
James
> I take it back, the compile completed before I gave up for the evening.
>
> Please try the file at this link:?https://www.dropbox.com/s/xarebulww4pgg9h/mythfrontend-31.dmg?dl=0
> Hi John,
>

> That's fixed the menus, now all I need to do is figure out the right playback profile settings so that the video displays in full screen on my MacBook Pro Retina, rather than just taking up the bottom left quarter.

This was an accident, I'd never try it but using the 30 dmg with renderer set to opengl-rgba I am watching full screen recordings on a 31 backend !!!

metadata lookup for both TV and Movie is working.

I'd post a picture but I am 100% certain that it is true.
I think this is the dmg for 30 that works
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuyd3r0ux6b7jmk/mythfrontend.zip
If there are issues I have a copy.
James

I managed to find some settings that worked on my MacBook Pro, so very pleased with that.

Unfortunately this new frontend won't work on High Sierra on my (very) old iMac:

dyld: Symbol not found: _NSAppearanceNameDarkAqua

  Referenced from: /Applications/mythfrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/./../Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/QtCore (which was built for Mac OS X 10.15)

  Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit

 in /Applications/mythfrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/./../Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/QtCore

Abort trap: 6

Dave.
Re: MAC [ In reply to ]
> On 12 May 2020, at 1:28 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>
> I take it back, the compile completed before I gave up for the evening.
>
> Please try the file at this link:?https://www.dropbox.com/s/xarebulww4pgg9h/mythfrontend-31.dmg?dl=0
> Hi John,
>

> That's fixed the menus, now all I need to do is figure out the right playback profile settings so that the video displays in full screen on my MacBook Pro Retina, rather than just taking up the bottom left quarter.

This was an accident, I'd never try it but using the 30 dmg with renderer set to opengl-rgba I am watching full screen recordings on a 31 backend !!!

metadata lookup for both TV and Movie is working.

I'd post a picture but I am 100% certain that it is true.

[plasma] /Users/jam [516]% /Applications/mythfrontend30.app/Contents/MacOS/mythfrontend --version
MythTV Version : v30.0-72-g2855e29672
MythTV Branch : fixes/30
Network Protocol : 91
Library API : 30.20181231-1