Mailing List Archive

Theme strings and deadline...
Hi!

I have now updated the theme strings, the strings which come from the
themes we currently translate.

We now have 3 weeks left before the planned release and I am not
expecting this to be pushed back much as we need to make it into the
next Ubuntu LTS release, too much effort was put into making this a reality.

0.28 will have many enhancements like better storage group support,
improved streaming features and the latest and greatest FFmpeg 3.0
embedded in it.

We are counting on you to bring to your respective locales/languages.

Thank you very much for your continued help in this regard!

Nicolas
Mythtv developer/translation maintainer

PS: After today not many strings should get added, the next thing on my
list is to fix untranslatable strings now (Walter reported a few on the
forums). If you notice any problem please don't hesitate to ping me (you
can contact me directly if you prefer).
Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
Nicolas
Thanks for the notice.
How can I help you in translating?
Does the git have already the 0.28?
I cheched here
<https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MythTV/mythtv/master/mythtv/i18n/mythfrontend_it.ts>but
I have no evidence of the changes.

Regards
Dario

Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
Hi Dario!

On 3/10/2016 2:19 AM, ddafre wrote:
> Nicolas
> Thanks for the notice.

You are welcome...

> How can I help you in translating?

Since you seem to be interested in helping translate into Italian please
contact our Italian translator, Morris Cavestro, which is listed here:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Translation#Translation_maintainers.2Fcontributors.

He will tell you if he needs help and how you can help if he does.

> Does the git have already the 0.28?
> I cheched here
> <https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MythTV/mythtv/master/mythtv/i18n/mythfrontend_it.ts

Yes but you are browsing master here (evidenced by the presence of the
word "master" in the URL).

This is however what we translate against and which goes into 0.28.

>but I have no evidence of the changes.

That's because our translators run tools which update those files to add
the new strings they must translate.

Kenni or I never directly update the translation files to add new
strings to translate, this is done by the translators.

As I said please contact Morris Cavestro, our Italian translator, to see
if and how you can help.

Thank you very much and have a nice day!

Nicolas
Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
> I have now updated the theme strings, the strings which come from the
> themes we currently translate.

Hi, Nicolas,

Just between your first and second update of the strings I managed to squeeze the translation for the first part. Do I have to re-translate or can they be included as-is so that I can focus on the remaining ones?

Is my method correct? I mean that by looking at the patch file I can see lines like:

- <location filename="../html/htmlstrings.h" line="13"/>
- <location filename="../html/htmlstrings.h" line="107"/>
- <location filename="../html/htmlstrings.h" line="122"/>
- <location filename="../html/htmlstrings.h" line="138"/>
- <location filename="../html/htmlstrings.h" line="145"/>
+ <location filename="../html/htmlstrings.h" line="101"/>
+ <location filename="../html/htmlstrings.h" line="117"/>
+ <location filename="../html/htmlstrings.h" line="124"/>
+ <location filename="../html/htmlstrings.h" line="130"/>

Do they cause you trouble in merging or is this expected?

Best regards,

Yianni
Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
Hi Nicolas
I am already in contact with Morris actually and helped him to translate
a text file I suppose should belong to 0.28 sw version.
Stating the above I think is better I wait him contact me then.
Thanks

Dario

Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
On 8 March 2016 at 03:26, Nicolas Riendeau <mythtv@riendeau.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have now updated the theme strings, the strings which come from the themes
> we currently translate.
>
> We now have 3 weeks left before the planned release and I am not expecting
> this to be pushed back much as we need to make it into the next Ubuntu LTS
> release, too much effort was put into making this a reality.
>
> 0.28 will have many enhancements like better storage group support, improved
> streaming features and the latest and greatest FFmpeg 3.0 embedded in it.
>
> We are counting on you to bring to your respective locales/languages.
>
> Thank you very much for your continued help in this regard!

Translation stats just updated to see where we are:

http://www.insidethex.co.uk/mythtv/translation-status/master/

Cheers,
Nick
Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
Hi Yianni!

I have already given you a partial answer by direct email but here's the
more complete answer:

On 3/10/2016 7:53 AM, Yianni wrote:
> Just between your first and second update of the strings I managed to
> squeeze the translation for the first part.

Ok. The first time it was the strings for the web interface
(htmlstrings.h) and the second time the strings from the themes
(themestrings.h).

> Do I have to re-translate or can they be included as-is so that I can focus on the remaining ones?

You should not have to, I would not deliberately do something which
would have that effect either.

If what you are attempting to to is update the copy of the git repo in
which you translated the first set of strings (htmlstrings.h) to
translate the second set of strings (htmlstrings.h) there should not be
any problem.

You would need to issue a

git pull

then a

lupdate (or lupdate-qt5)

to update your translation files with the latest strings.

You won't lose anything if you continue from there and I will just need
*not to* apply the patch you currently submitted...

If you did something else than please let me know...

> Is my method correct? I mean that by looking at the patch file I can see
> lines like:
>
> - <location filename="../html/htmlstrings.h" line="13"/>
> - <location filename="../html/htmlstrings.h" line="107"/>
> - <location filename="../html/htmlstrings.h" line="122"/>
> - <location filename="../html/htmlstrings.h" line="138"/>
> - <location filename="../html/htmlstrings.h" line="145"/>
> + <location filename="../html/htmlstrings.h" line="101"/>
> + <location filename="../html/htmlstrings.h" line="117"/>
> + <location filename="../html/htmlstrings.h" line="124"/>
> + <location filename="../html/htmlstrings.h" line="130"/>
>
> Do they cause you trouble in merging or is this expected?

This is to be expected, strings move around from one time to the next
and this is what this shows...

Sorry for the trouble, I really didn't notice a translation had been
submitted...

Thank you and have a nice day!

Nicolas
Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
Hi Dario!

On 3/10/2016 12:11 PM, Dario wrote:
> Hi Nicolas
> I am already in contact with Morris actually and helped him to translate
> a text file I suppose should belong to 0.28 sw version.
> Stating the above I think is better I wait him contact me then.
> Thanks
>
> Dario

You might want to contact him directly, I have had better success when I
contacted him directly than through other channels.

I currently have a problem with what he submitted and left him a message
using our ticketing system quite a few weeks ago and did not hear back
so I directly contacted him a few days ago.

I have always heard back from him using emails...

Thank you and have a nice day!

Nicolas
Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
On 3/10/2016 2:07 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> Translation stats just updated to see where we are:
>
> http://www.insidethex.co.uk/mythtv/translation-status/master/

Thank you Nick!

Nicolas

Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
> Hi Yianni!

> You would need to issue a
>
> git pull
>
> then a
>
> lupdate (or lupdate-qt5)
>
> to update your translation files with the latest strings.
>
> You won't lose anything if you continue from there and I will just need
> *not to* apply the patch you currently submitted...
>
> If you did something else than please let me know...
No, I use a different git folder for the translations than the one for my running system, so I just ran the commands you mentioned.

I am still translating the remaining ones, will create a patch later today. I think I should include it in the still open patch-translation?

I found two errors in the original English description for the MythMediaStream theme:
If you search for "were posible" in mythfrontend_xx.ts

"were posible" instead of "where possible"

> This is to be expected, strings move around from one time to the next
> and this is what this shows...
>
> Sorry for the trouble, I really didn't notice a translation had been
> submitted...

No problem.

> Thank you and have a nice day!
>
> Nicolas

You too,

Yianni
Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
I forgot to ask about translations like:

"%BROADCASTER% - %Channel%"
They are variables, right? Am I supposed to translate them or leave them as they are?

Thanks,

Yianni.
Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
On 13.03.2016 09:09, Yianni wrote:
> I forgot to ask about translations like:
>

> "%BROADCASTER% - %Channel%"
>

> They are variables, right? Am I supposed to translate them or leave them
> as they are?

yes, they are variables, leave them as they are.

Regards,
Karl
Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
> yes, they are variables, leave them as they are.
>
> Regards,
> Karl

Thanks, Karl, for clarifying this.

Regards,

Yianni
Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
Hi Yianni!

On 3/13/2016 4:05 AM, Yianni wrote:
> I am still translating the remaining ones, will create a patch later
> today. I think I should include it in the still open patch-translation?

Yes, thank you!

I just committed your latest updates taking care *not to* apply the
previous one.

> I found two errors in the original English description for the
> MythMediaStream theme:
> If you search for "were posible" in mythfrontend_xx.ts
>
> "were posible" instead of "where possible"

Thank you!

> "%BROADCASTER% - %Channel%"
> They are variables, right? Am I supposed to translate them or leave
> them as they are?

Yes, these are variables and should be left as they are.

Have a nice day!

Nicolas

Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
On 12 March 2016 at 02:31, Nicolas Riendeau <mythtv@riendeau.org> wrote:
> On 3/10/2016 2:07 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
>>
>> Translation stats just updated to see where we are:
>>
>> http://www.insidethex.co.uk/mythtv/translation-status/master/
>

> Thank you Nick!
>
> Nicolas

Translation stats just updated again to see how things are progressing:

http://www.insidethex.co.uk/mythtv/translation-status/master/

Is this the last weekend before release?

Cheers,
Nick
Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
Hi Nick!

Le vendredi 25 mars 2016 à 20:55 +0000, Nick Morrott a écrit :

> Translation stats just updated again to see how things are
> progressing:
>
> http://www.insidethex.co.uk/mythtv/translation-status/master/
Thank you!

> Is this the last weekend before release?
It was supposed to but we might get a few more days...

I am waiting for a confirmation from senior devs about this...

Have a nice day!

Nicolas
Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
Le vendredi 25 mars 2016 à 17:52 -0400, Nicolas Riendeau a écrit :
> Hi Nick!
>
> Le vendredi 25 mars 2016 à 20:55 +0000, Nick Morrott a écrit :
> >

> > Translation stats just updated again to see how things are
> > progressing:
> >
> > http://www.insidethex.co.uk/mythtv/translation-status/master/
> Thank you!
>

> > Is this the last weekend before release?
> It was supposed to but we might get a few more days...
>
> I am waiting for a confirmation from senior devs about this...

Good news! We have until the 11th of April...

Since quite a few of us might be in different timezones I would suggest
not waiting until that date to send your translations in if you want it
to be part of the release...

Thank you all and have a nice day!

Nicolas

Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
On 27 March 2016 at 14:07, Nicolas Riendeau <nicolas@riendeau.org> wrote:

> Good news! We have until the 11th of April...
>
> Since quite a few of us might be in different timezones I would suggest
> not waiting until that date to send your translations in if you want it
> to be part of the release...

Translation stats updated for master and the new 0.28/fixes:

http://www.insidethex.co.uk/mythtv/translation-status/master/

4 translations are reported complete; another 6 are 94%+ complete.

Cheers,
Nick
Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
Hello,
I made some Bulgarian translations last week in ticket #12699.

I added three new files to translation plugins, but they are not updated in
current status. Here are files I added:
Added new files to plugin translations:
mythbrowser_bg.ts
mythweather_bg.ts
mythnetvision_bg.ts

These files are not added to corresponding "translate.pro" files.

Regards,
Jordan

Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
Le lundi 04 avril 2016 à 11:03 +0300, Jordan Kanev a écrit :

> Hello,
> I made some Bulgarian translations last week in ticket #12699.
>
> I added three new files to translation plugins, but they are not
> updated in current status. Here are files I added:
>  Added new files to plugin translations:
>  mythbrowser_bg.ts
>  mythweather_bg.ts
>  mythnetvision_bg.ts
>
> These files are not added to corresponding "translate.pro" files.
>
> Regards,
> Jordan
Hi Jordan!

As I told you in the ticket,

<<I have applied the patch you attached to this ticket but it does not
contain all the modules you mentioned, if it was supposed to then
something went wrong when you generated the diff.>>

The "something wrong" that happened is that these are entirely new
files so "git diff" did not add them to the diff file. This is
something which has not happened for quite a while...

You must do the first step of (changing "de" to "bg")

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Translation#Create_patch

to add these files to the diff file.

Thank you very much for your contribution and have a nice day!

Nicolas

PS: I will add Bulgarian to all the translate.pro's today...
Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
Le lundi 04 avril 2016 à 07:47 -0400, Nicolas Riendeau a écrit :
> PS: I will add Bulgarian to all the translate.pro's today...

Done...

If any of you face the same problem(s) please let me know (email to
this address or to my mythtv.org address is fine too).

Have a nice day!

Nicolas
Re: Theme strings and deadline... [ In reply to ]
On 5 April 2016 at 02:58, Nicolas Riendeau <nicolas@riendeau.org> wrote:
> Le lundi 04 avril 2016 à 07:47 -0400, Nicolas Riendeau a écrit :
>> PS: I will add Bulgarian to all the translate.pro's today...
>
> Done...

Stats for 0.28/fixes updated. 6 now complete. 4 within easy reach!

Cheers,
Nick