grep "Waiting to pass preroll + head start" -A2
mythtv-trunk/mythtv/i18n/mythfrontend_*.ts

Gives results people have translated it... But what the heck does it
even mean in english? Preroll is likely the "what happened in previous
episode" stuff, but what is head start?

And is there a way to identify that in MythTV? This is something new,
but I don't get exactly what it means, please try to explain if you
do.
How to translate "preroll + head start"? [ In reply to ]
2010/9/19 ikke <ikke at iki.fi>:
> grep "Waiting to pass preroll + head start" -A2
> mythtv-trunk/mythtv/i18n/mythfrontend_*.ts
>
> Gives results people have translated it... But what the heck does it
> even mean in english? Preroll is likely the "what happened in previous
> episode" stuff, but what is head start?
>
> And is there a way to identify that in MythTV? This is something new,
> but I don't get exactly what it means, please try to explain if you
> do.

Ikke, this message shouldn't really translatable at all, it's way too
technical. It will most likely get removed/replaced in 0.25, so for
now, I suggest that you just leave it (like you did).

Michael T. Dean tried to explain the meaning of the string in the IRC channel:
--
TTBOMK, it's saying, "I'm waiting until the official program start
time has been passed (pre-roll) and then for another 30(?) seconds

Best regards
Kenni
How to translate "preroll + head start"? [ In reply to ]
Hi!

I plead guilty (-; , I made these formerly only displayed in English
messages, translatable.

On 9/19/2010 2:31 PM, ikke wrote:
> And is there a way to identify that in MythTV? This is something new,
> but I don't get exactly what it means, please try to explain if you
> do.

The thing that is new is that they are now translatable but they were
always shown in the status pages but only in English.

I agree that these terms are too technical though...

In 0.23 these and other messages were always shown in English.

For some of them the problems was not that they were not translatable
but that the translation files were not loaded by mythcommflag,
mythfilldatabase, etc...

For others the messages were shown to the user but they were not made
translatable (by doing the proper call to Qt).

What my patch did was load the translation files and make these status
messages translatable.

I did not address the fact that they were possibly too technical, only
the fact that they were shown to the user (ie user-facing) and as such
should be made translatable.

I guess I should have suggested back then that they should be made more
user-friendly by somebody who actually understood what they meant but,
as I said, these were always shown in the status pages..

Have a nice day!

Nick
How to translate "preroll + head start"? [ In reply to ]
Hi Kenni,

On 9/19/2010 4:25 PM, Kenni Lund wrote:
> Ikke, this message shouldn't really translatable at all, it's way too
> technical. It will most likely get removed/replaced in 0.25, so for
> now, I suggest that you just leave it (like you did).

If they are kept, they should be translatable but they also should be
made more user-friendly (as Michael and Stuart mentionned in the IRC
channel thread you quoted).

If a way to make them less technical isn't found, they should not be
displayed in any language (that includes English).

Nick
How to translate "preroll + head start"? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 12:16 AM, Nicolas Riendeau <knight at teksavvy.com> wrote:
> Hi Kenni,
>
> On 9/19/2010 4:25 PM, Kenni Lund wrote:
>>
>> Ikke, this message shouldn't really translatable at all, it's way too
>> technical. It will most likely get removed/replaced in 0.25, so for
>> now, I suggest that you just leave it (like you did).
>
> If they are kept, they should be translatable but they also should be made
> more user-friendly (as Michael and Stuart mentionned in the IRC channel
> thread you quoted).
>
> If a way to make them less technical isn't found, they should not be
> displayed in any language (that includes English).

I also just happened to enter #mythtv at the time to notice that
explanation. I think the English translation for it would be: "Waiting
a moment before starting commercial flagging". That's basically what
anyone needs to care about it. Even technical users, since it really
doesn't expect user to do anything about it. IMO the English original
text should be along that sentence...

-ikke