Mailing List Archive

QM generation
On 16-09-10 06:09, Nicolas Riendeau wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> Q: Should I add the qm files or are they updated regular? Because the
>> Dutch using the translation might be triggered when seeing errors
>> or even
>> contribute.
>>

> No, they can be easily generated when we commit or in batch and would
> end taking up unnecessary space on Trac.
Ok, then I won't do that.

> Adding them to the diff would also not let us decide when they are
> regenerated (e.g. per commit. per day, per RC, etc...).
>
> We have not yet decided what we will do if a patch includes those
> files but there is a possibility that we could ask the submitter to
> provide us with a diff file which doesn't include them.
>
> Don't worry, we are also translators (Kenni is a translator for Danish
> and I for French) and know that for some of you having .qm files
> generated against the latest .ts you submitted is important.
>
> However if you notice that it doesn't seem to have been generated
> (there might be a reason for this like a planned batch regeneration of
> them) ping us on this mailing list and one of us will respond as soon
> as possible.
Then I would like to have the Dutch translation generated (after patch
#8940 <http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8940> being applied). I am not
in a hurry, but I saw more qm files not being generated for 5 months,
but after a closer look they are not updated since also.

> (Please do not use Trac for this, use this mailing list...)
>
> Who ends up replying to you (if your query is not, for some reason,
> directed toward one of us more specifically) will probably depend on
> the day and the time of day your query is posted (there is about a 6
> hour difference between Kenni and I (Kenni's timezone is CET/CEST I
> believe while mine is EDT/EST)) but somebody should reply to you in a
> timely manner.
>
> Have a nice day!
You too!
Foppe
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
QM generation [ In reply to ]
(Thank you for changing the subject line... I realized after I sent my
message that I should have changed it to make sure other translators
would read it as well...)

Hi!

On 9/16/2010 2:29 AM, Foppe Benedictus wrote:

> On 16-09-10 06:09, Nicolas Riendeau wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>>> Q: Should I add the qm files or are they updated regular? Because the
>>> Dutch using the translation might be triggered when seeing errors or
>>> even
>>> contribute.
>>>

>> No, they can be easily generated when we commit or in batch and would
>> end taking up unnecessary space on Trac.
> Ok, then I won't do that.

Thanks!

BTW, I added a note about that on the wiki a few minutes ago (I also
added a note about the milestone...)...

>> However if you notice that it doesn't seem to have been generated
>> (there might be a reason for this like a planned batch regeneration of
>> them) ping us on this mailing list and one of us will respond as soon
>> as possible.
> Then I would like to have the Dutch translation generated (after patch
> #8940 <http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8940> being applied). I am not

Your ticket is assigned to Kenni so I'll leave it up to him to
regenerate them but I am pretty sure he read your reply and knows you
would like to have them regenerated.

> in a hurry, but I saw more qm files not being generated for 5 months,
> but after a closer look they are not updated since also.

4-5 months ago was about the time 0.23 was released so that would make
sense...

After discussing about this with Kenni I generated the files on my
latest commits.

You have to keep in mind that we only joined the development team about
a week ago and, at least for now, our primary focus is translations.

We are currently trying to determine what would be the optimum frequency
at which these should be regenerated. Once we have determined this we
will make sure translators are made aware of this. For now, as I said
above, we have tentatively tried to do it at each commit. There are
pros and cons against this.

For at least one of the translations I committed it was somewhat of a
no-brainer since the files did not exist before so it was important that
they be generated and added to SVN at commit time so that the next time
we generated them the files would be updated in the SVN repository.

Should we update them that frequently when we are not close to the
release of a new version, the answer to this might very well be maybe
not... Most users of MythTV are (probably) using -fixes so regenerating
the .qm files on Trunk is not that useful for them... It only becomes
critical to have them up to date when we are nearing a new release.

>> Have a nice day!
> You too!

Thanks!

Good night... Err... I mean Good day (for me it's time to go to sleep...)

Nicolas