the process advances?

Regards

ZP
Guidelines and timmings [ In reply to ]
2010/9/14 Jose Paulo Moitinho de Almeida <moitinho at civil.ist.utl.pt>:
> Sunday I submitted a patch with a weekend's production and apparently the
> process is under control, but I would like to have some instructions on the
> planned timings and on the preferred strategy for patches.
>
> 1) The call mentioned 3 weeks. This means that we should try to complete the
> translations by the first weekend of October. Right?

The current release schedule for 0.24 looks like the following:
September
Wed 15th - String Freeze (for translations)
Mon 20th - 1st Release Candidate
Mon 27th - 2nd Release Candidate

October:
Fri 1st - Release and cut fixes branch

If you want to have your translations included in RC1, you should
probably upload them at latest on the 18th, if you want them included
in RC2 you should probably upload them on the 25th - and for the final
release - probably on the 28-29th.

The reason why you would be interested in having your translations
included in RC1/RC2, would be to allow other Portuguese users to
provide feedback before it's "too late".

The string freeze means that the english strings will not change
anymore. So if you after the string freeze do a "svn update" followed
by lupdate to update your .ts files, then you should have the final
strings for the 0.24 release. No official words on this yet, but
perhaps this will get pushed a few days compared to the schedule
above...but the freeze will get announced on this list for sure.

> 2) What is the best strategy to submit patches? One big patch when the
> translation is completed (or the deadline arrives...) or several patches as
> the process advances?

The thing is, we haven't agreed on a strategy internally yet, so we're
quite flexible for this 0.24 release. But generally big patches are
preferable. This is because many small patches just creates more work
for us and also "spams" the developers/users, who are subscribed to
the SVN-commits mailing list. In my opinion, one patch for
mythfrontend and one patch for the plugins is the optimal solution.

Best Regards
Kenni
Guidelines and timmings [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 14 September 2010, Kenni Lund wrote:
> 2010/9/14 Jose Paulo Moitinho de Almeida <moitinho at civil.ist.utl.pt>:
> > Sunday I submitted a patch with a weekend's production and apparently the
> > process is under control, but I would like to have some instructions on
> > the planned timings and on the preferred strategy for patches.
> >
> > 1) The call mentioned 3 weeks. This means that we should try to complete
> > the translations by the first weekend of October. Right?
>
> The current release schedule for 0.24 looks like the following:
> September
> Wed 15th - String Freeze (for translations)
> Mon 20th - 1st Release Candidate
> Mon 27th - 2nd Release Candidate
>
> October:
> Fri 1st - Release and cut fixes branch
>
> If you want to have your translations included in RC1, you should
> probably upload them at latest on the 18th, if you want them included
> in RC2 you should probably upload them on the 25th - and for the final
> release - probably on the 28-29th.
>
> The reason why you would be interested in having your translations
> included in RC1/RC2, would be to allow other Portuguese users to
> provide feedback before it's "too late".
>
> The string freeze means that the english strings will not change
> anymore. So if you after the string freeze do a "svn update" followed
> by lupdate to update your .ts files, then you should have the final
> strings for the 0.24 release. No official words on this yet, but
> perhaps this will get pushed a few days compared to the schedule
> above...but the freeze will get announced on this list for sure.
>
> > 2) What is the best strategy to submit patches? One big patch when the
> > translation is completed (or the deadline arrives...) or several patches
> > as the process advances?
>
> The thing is, we haven't agreed on a strategy internally yet, so we're
> quite flexible for this 0.24 release. But generally big patches are
> preferable. This is because many small patches just creates more work
> for us and also "spams" the developers/users, who are subscribed to
> the SVN-commits mailing list. In my opinion, one patch for
> mythfrontend and one patch for the plugins is the optimal solution.
>
> Best Regards
> Kenni

Just the info that I was missing.

Saturday is the current target (though a complete translation, just by myself,
is not probable...)

Thanks, regards

ZP
Guidelines and timmings [ In reply to ]
Hi!

> The thing is, we haven't agreed on a strategy internally yet, so we're
> quite flexible for this 0.24 release. But generally big patches are
> preferable. This is because many small patches just creates more work
> for us and also "spams" the developers/users, who are subscribed to the
> SVN-commits mailing list. In my opinion, one patch for
> mythfrontend and one patch for the plugins is the optimal solution.

Just one small point to add to this though...

If for some reason you cannot submit them many files at a time we much
rather prefer to have them in smaller bunches (that includes possibly one
file at a time) than have no translation at all...

Just use your good judgement, if you can submit many translation file
updates in one ticket that's the preferable way to do it but if that's not
possible we won't refuse to commit your submission (at least not for this
reason).

Have a nice day!

Nick