I have tried to get Stephen's script to work but have not been
successful yet (I know next to nothing about programming but I can edit
files).

I am wondering if someone could guide me on how to set up a grabber to
use an xml file like

https://nzxmltv.com/xmltv/guide.xml

(or any other recommendation)

Thanks, Rob

Re: How to set up a new Grabber [ In reply to ]
I have, in the past, set up tv_grab_nz-py from nicegear but that is now
out of date.

Re: How to set up a new Grabber [ In reply to ]
Hey,

What distro are run running? Debian or Ubuntu?

I have packaged up Stephen's script as a .deb that is easily to
install, and should just work. Disclaimer, I haven't had anyone else
try it yet. :) And this is the first time I've mentioned it publicly
because I wanted to make sure it was all working smoothly - which it
appears to be.

Cheers,
Andrew

On Tue, 2022-06-28 at 15:24 +1200, Robert Fisher wrote:
> I have given up trying to get 7 days of EIT data on all channels.
>
> (TVNZ have confirmed that it is not in their "spec" to do it)
>
> I have tried to get Stephen's script to work but have not been
> successful yet (I know next to nothing about programming but I can
> edit
> files).
>
> I am wondering if someone could guide me on how to set up a grabber
> use an xml file like
>
> https://nzxmltv.com/xmltv/guide.xml
>
> (or any other recommendation)
>
> Thanks, Rob

Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
andrew@etc.gen.nz |
Catalyst Cloud: | This space intentionally left blank
https://catalystcloud.nz |
Re: How to set up a new Grabber [ In reply to ]
Hey,

Re: How to set up a new Grabber [ In reply to ]
I just checked http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/tv_grab_nz-py

And the source file is the same as in the Nicegear one

SOURCES = (
'http://epg.org.nz/freeview.xml.gz',
)

So also out of date.

Re: How to set up a new Grabber [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 28 Jun 2022 at 16:21, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:

> I just checked http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/tv_grab_nz-py
>
> And the source file is the same as in the Nicegear one
>
> SOURCES = (
> 'http://epg.org.nz/freeview.xml.gz',
> )
>
> So also out of date.
>
> On 28/06/22 16:11, Robert Fisher wrote:
>
> I have, in the past, set up tv_grab_nz-py from nicegear but that is now out of date.
>
> On 28/06/22 15:24, Robert Fisher wrote:
>
> I have given up trying to get 7 days of EIT data on all channels.
>
> (TVNZ have confirmed that it is not in their "spec" to do it)
>
> I have tried to get Stephen's script to work but have not been successful yet (I know next to nothing about programming but I can edit files).
>
> I am wondering if someone could guide me on how to set up a grabber to use an xml file like
>
> https://nzxmltv.com/xmltv/guide.xml
>
> (or any other recommendation)
>
> Thanks, Rob

I run the following in a bash script I've called "updateEPG.sh" on login.

#! /bin/bash
wget https://nzxmltv.com/xmltv/guide.xml
mythfilldatabase --file --sourceid 1 --xmlfile guide.xml
rm guide.xml
exit

Does the job nicely. You do have to match your channel names to those
in the nzxmltv guide.xml file (in mythtv-setup, under channel editor).

Re: How to set up a new Grabber [ In reply to ]
Thanks Curtis,

This works for me too.

Should I make it a daily cron job?

Thanks, Rob

BTW, regarding Stephen's mhegepgsnoop.py method, we are a bit closer to
having it working on my system after he found an error in the
documentation (but I am not wanting to pressure him, especially if I am
the only one with the issue)

Re: How to set up a new Grabber [ In reply to ]
I thought that I should also mention that xmltvid and channel names can
be edited in MythWeb

For example:     http://10.1.1.10/mythweb/settings/tv/channels

Re: How to set up a new Grabber [ In reply to ]
I run the script at login, but yes, you can run it as a cron job too.
I used to run it as a cron, but since I triple boot Win 10, MacOS and
Arch linux, it's often not on Arch to be able to run cron at a set
time.

By running at login, it ensures there is a fresh update of the guide
when I login, which is most days, at various times.