Mailing List Archive

HD Homerun
Well, seems my old SiliconDust HomeRun HDHR3-DT is no more. Appears to have just failed mid recording. I have tried plugging it into another socket and am not getting anything lighting up on the front. Opened it up and don't see anything obvious - other than the lack of spaces between words. How much extra would that have cost? Anyway - no burnt patches or melted bits that I can see.

I will try to get hold of another power supply and test that, but I'm guessing it is gone. Must be getting on for 10 years old.

So, off to the Nice Gear web site and ... oh. Well, Learning Developments 'feel privileged to be able to continue their fantastic product range'. But alas no HD HomeRuns listed on the web site.

Does anyone know where I would get a new one, or if there is a similar product available? I did like not having to install the card and all that hassle, as far as I can tell, the new model of this is only available online, and is over $US200. I can go buy a Panasonic 1TB twin tuner PVR from JB Hifi for that. I have used them and they are pretty hard to use, but .... I could get it today.

Anyway - my Myth backend is a AMD Phenom II X6 1035T with four gigs of DDR3 ram and a 2TB disk for recordings. It won't have USB3. Anyone have any suggestions, they'd be most helpful.

Cheers
--

Don Robertson

021 294 1452

Re: HD Homerun [ In reply to ]
On 10/02/21 12:37 pm, Don Robertson (don) wrote:
> Well, seems my old SiliconDust HomeRun HDHR3-DT is no more. Appears to have just failed mid recording. I have tried plugging it into another socket and am not getting anything lighting up on the front. Opened it up and don't see anything obvious - other than the lack of spaces between words. How much extra would that have cost? Anyway - no burnt patches or melted bits that I can see.
>

> I will try to get hold of another power supply and test that, but I'm guessing it is gone. Must be getting on for 10 years old.
>

> So, off to the Nice Gear web site and ... oh. Well, Learning Developments 'feel privileged to be able to continue their fantastic product range'. But alas no HD HomeRuns listed on the web site.
>

> Does anyone know where I would get a new one, or if there is a similar product available? I did like not having to install the card and all that hassle, as far as I can tell, the new model of this is only available online, and is over $US200. I can go buy a Panasonic 1TB twin tuner PVR from JB Hifi for that. I have used them and they are pretty hard to use, but .... I could get it today.
>

> Anyway - my Myth backend is a AMD Phenom II X6 1035T with four gigs of DDR3 ram and a 2TB disk for recordings. It won't have USB3. Anyone have any suggestions, they'd be most helpful.
>

> Cheers
> --
>
> Don Robertson
>
> 021 294 1452

I recently had a look at Nice Gear myself and then went to: https://shop.silicondust.com/shop/

They ship from the US with FEDEX free shipping.

The HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO HDHR5-4DT(AU) looks good: 4 tuners and WIFI

As for your old one I'd check the adaptor before deciding it was dead. Adaptors die more often than the items they power.

-Paul

Re: HD Homerun [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 09 Feb 2021 23:37:11 +0000, you wrote:

>Well, seems my old SiliconDust HomeRun HDHR3-DT is no more. Appears to have just failed mid recording. I have tried plugging it into another socket and am not getting anything lighting up on the front. Opened it up and don't see anything obvious - other than the lack of spaces between words. How much extra would that have cost? Anyway - no burnt patches or melted bits that I can see.
>

>I will try to get hold of another power supply and test that, but I'm guessing it is gone. Must be getting on for 10 years old.
>

>So, off to the Nice Gear web site and ... oh. Well, Learning Developments 'feel privileged to be able to continue their fantastic product range'. But alas no HD HomeRuns listed on the web site.
>

>Does anyone know where I would get a new one, or if there is a similar product available? I did like not having to install the card and all that hassle, as far as I can tell, the new model of this is only available online, and is over $US200. I can go buy a Panasonic 1TB twin tuner PVR from JB Hifi for that. I have used them and they are pretty hard to use, but .... I could get it today.
>

>Anyway - my Myth backend is a AMD Phenom II X6 1035T with four gigs of DDR3 ram and a 2TB disk for recordings. It won't have USB3. Anyone have any suggestions, they'd be most helpful.
>

>Cheers

There is a long history of the plug packs for HDHomeruns failing.
People report replacing them and having the new one fail and the tuner
still working fine when they get a further replacement. So you should
see if you have another plug pack with the right or better ratings to
temporarily put on it to test if it still works. If so, buy a good
quality replacement plug pack. I have been buying replacement plug
packs for my devices from Jaycar, where they are not particularly
cheap, but I have yet to have one of the replacements fail.

Re: HD Homerun [ In reply to ]
On 10/02/21 3:25 pm, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> There is a long history of the plug packs for HDHomeruns failing. People report replacing them and having the new one fail and the tuner
> still working fine when they get a further replacement. So you should see if you have another plug pack with the right or better ratings to
> temporarily put on it to test if it still works. If so, buy a good quality replacement plug pack. I have been buying replacement plug
> packs for my devices from Jaycar, where they are not particularly cheap, but I have yet to have one of the replacements fail.

It's feasible to take a 12V line out from a Molex drive connector inside
your case, and power your 12V devices off that.

That's essentially what USB-powered things like fans are, albeit 5V.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/
Re: HD Homerun [ In reply to ]
Don, if you are in Wellington you can borrow the power adapter for my HDHR
to test if it's power or the HDHR itself. I am not using it at the moment.
Re: HD Homerun [ In reply to ]
Re: HD Homerun [ In reply to ]
Any DC 12v source will work fine so long as it's rated at or above the
amperage of the original. I don't have a homerun anymore; but I power
plenty of 12v things from plenty of random PSU's.

Old Xbox360 powerbricks are an especially good bargain find the original
series can spit out 250w at 12V so are awesome power sources for 12V LED's
etc.

Re: HD Homerun [ In reply to ]
On 11/02/21 3:19 pm, Joel Wir?mu Pauling wrote:
> Any DC 12v source will work fine so long as it's rated at or above the
> amperage of the original. I don't have a homerun anymore; but I power
> plenty of 12v things from plenty of random PSU's.
>
> Old Xbox360 powerbricks are an especially good bargainĀ find the
> original series can spit out 250w at 12V so are awesome power sources
> for 12V LED's etc.
>
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 12:31 PM OpenMedia Support
> <support@openmedia.co.nz <mailto:support@openmedia.co.nz>> wrote:
>
> > Don, if you are in Wellington you can borrow the power adapter
> for my HDHR
> > to test if it's power or the HDHR itself. I am not using it at
> the moment.
>
> I'm still running PCIe cards for DVB-T myself. Seldom record
> anything else
> at present tho. So little on broadcast TV

Just make sure the dc barrel connector on the dc lead is the correct
dimensions and polarity.

There are many diameters ,lengths and different center pin daimeters and
occasionally the polarity is reversed.

-Paul
Re: HD Homerun [ In reply to ]
If you have a voltmeter just check the existing one, and cut the cord and
chocolate block in the new 12V to the old barrel ;)

HD HomeRun [ In reply to ]
Hi all, thanks for all the suggestions and sorry for not replying sooner. It looks like the problem is the power supply, so Caloo Kalay! Kids, pack away the cricket gear, stow the swing ball! Box up the Lego, jigsaws and Snakes and Ladders sets! Forget the lakes, parks and playgrounds! TV will be back!

Soon. Unfortunately my supplier of choice is the Ecostore in Christchurch, and while the range is eclectic, they do not always have exactly what I am after. Don't get me started on inventory control or special orders. I'll head into Jaycar tomorrow.

I am trying to remember what I learned at school about watts and so forth, steam trains spring to mind. But it doesn't help.

The adapter I have has 5.0 V 1.0 A. So I can use any adapter with output of 5 V and 1.0 or greater Amps?

Cheers

Don
Re: HD HomeRun [ In reply to ]
Yup any recent USB cell charger should be more than ample. Just cut a USB
and join to existing jack and you'll be on your way. DC only pulls the
current required off the Sine wave (volt/frequency of the Sine) regardless
of amplitude of said peaks available. so it will be fine

Re: HD HomeRun [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 16:24:37 +1300, you wrote:

>Hi all, thanks for all the suggestions and sorry for not replying sooner. It looks like the problem is the power supply, so Caloo Kalay! Kids, pack away the cricket gear, stow the swing ball! Box up the Lego, jigsaws and Snakes and Ladders sets! Forget the lakes, parks and playgrounds! TV will be back!
>
>Soon. Unfortunately my supplier of choice is the Ecostore in Christchurch, and while the range is eclectic, they do not always have exactly what I am after. Don't get me started on inventory control or special orders. I'll head into Jaycar tomorrow.
>
>I am trying to remember what I learned at school about watts and so forth, steam trains spring to mind. But it doesn't help.
>
>The adapter I have has 5.0 V 1.0 A. So I can use any adapter with output of 5 V and 1.0 or greater Amps?

Yes, but it also needs the correct connector and the correct polarity
on that connector. There should be a polarity note on the label near
where it tells you the voltage and amps. The Jaycar ones I get
usually come with a set of different connectors, one of which is a
match, and they are reversible to change the polarity. Take the old
power pack with you and get the Jaycar person to check for you if you
are in doubt - they are usually very helpful.