(Originally MythBuntu 16.04, then Ubuntu 18.04)

Only issues -

The process seemed to hang for 10 minutes after upgrading Chromium on
SNAP but then it continued without prompting

MythWeb didn't work until I edited /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/php7.2.load
to point to php7.4 (i then renamed it)

VNC didn't work because vnc4server is not in 20.4 so I changed to
tightvncserver

Re: Upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 11:09:25 +1200, you wrote:

>I just upgraded my Ubuntu Server to 20.04 via command line and SSH.
>
>(Originally MythBuntu 16.04, then Ubuntu 18.04)
>
>Only issues -
>
>The process seemed to hang for 10 minutes after upgrading Chromium on
>SNAP but then it continued without prompting
>
>MythWeb didn't work until I edited /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/php7.2.load
>to point to php7.4 (i then renamed it)
>
>VNC didn't work because vnc4server is not in 20.4 so I changed to
>tightvncserver

I would have said you were living dangerously doing that. The upgrade
path for LTS releases now only happens when the .1 release arrives. So
you would have to have forced the 18.04 to 20.04 upgrade, which is not
recommended until they have got all the bugs out of the process and
released 20.04.1. That is for Ubuntu desktop though - is server the
same?

The PHP updating process really needs someone to produce an automated
upgrade system. Your problem now happens every time the version
updates - it would be much better if the package had code to automate
the name change and maybe asked you if it could do it for you. But
there can be other changes needed in the PHP code also, which is a
whole different ball game. I had to modify the mythexport PHP code a
while ago when a PHP update broke it. Fortunately the fix was pretty
obvious from the error messages, as I know nothing about PHP.

I find Snap updates to be a pain. As far as I can tell, they do not
do any output to tell you what is happening. So if there are 20 Snap
updates to be done, you just get to wait while it happens and you do
not even get told what has been updated. It takes long enough with no
output that I always start to worry that something has hung, so I
usually go away and do something else so I will not be tempted to poke
at it. I consider having no output to be a very stupid thing, as I
always want to know what has been updated so I can have some idea what
may have been broken by an update.

Re: Upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04 [ In reply to ]
I recall seeing something about 20.04.1 but I forgot and followed the guide
here
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/upgrade-ubuntu-18-04-to-20-04-lts-using-command-line/

and it did not mention any warnings about 20.04.1

Robert Fisher

Re: Upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 15:15:45 +1200, you wrote:

>I recall seeing something about 20.04.1 but I forgot and followed the guide
>here
>https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/upgrade-ubuntu-18-04-to-20-04-lts-using-command-line/
>
>and it did not mention any warnings about 20.04.1
>
>Robert Fisher

The "do-release-upgrade" command should have failed to upgrade with a
warning message, and if you followed that page, you would have tried
again using the -d option to force the upgrade. Did that happen?