What recommendations do people have?
Requirements:
At least one SATA drive (I have two 500GB drives)
Quiet
Cheep. Of course...
If not me then who? If not now then when? If not here then where?
So, here I stand, I can do no other
root@worik.org 021-1680650, (03) 4821804 Aotearoa (New Zealand)

Re: Recommendations for a new backend... [ In reply to ]
On 30/04/19 3:51 PM, worik wrote:
> My backend (a old HP desktop I bought off TradeMe) has finally expired.
> So I need to build a new one.
> What recommendations do people have?
> Requirements:
> At least one SATA drive (I have two 500GB drives)
> Quiet
> Cheep. Of course...

If the old one worked okay, then that's your minimum spec for any
replacement.  Anything above that spec is a win.

TBH its not like the backend's tasks are getting any more complex over time.

An older business-grade SFF desktop is still a good option as long as it
can take your tuner devices.  Only downside is space inside for more
hard drives.

Personally my long term plan is to do away with the physical mythtbox
backend and replace with a VM.  That requires a networked HDHomerun (not
yet)  and a working UHF aerial (there but not tested.)

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/
Re: Recommendations for a new backend... [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 17:47:21 +1200, you wrote:

>On 30/04/19 3:51 PM, worik wrote:
>> My backend (a old HP desktop I bought off TradeMe) has finally expired.
>> So I need to build a new one.
>> What recommendations do people have?
>> Requirements:
>> At least one SATA drive (I have two 500GB drives)
>> Quiet
>> Cheep. Of course...
>
>If the old one worked okay, then that's your minimum spec for any
>replacement.  Anything above that spec is a win.
>
>TBH its not like the backend's tasks are getting any more complex over time.
>
>An older business-grade SFF desktop is still a good option as long as it
>can take your tuner devices.  Only downside is space inside for more
>hard drives.
>

>Personally my long term plan is to do away with the physical mythtbox
>backend and replace with a VM.  That requires a networked HDHomerun (not
>yet)  and a working UHF aerial (there but not tested.)

Do remember the electricity bill. Modern motherboards use much less
power than old ones. There has been a noticeable decrease in our bill
from the time I updated the 24x7 PCs here. My main MythTV box went
from over 200 W down to around 120-130 W when idle.

In terms of network tuners, there are more than just HDHomeruns
available. And you can turn any tuner into a networked one by running
TVHeadEnd on the PC they are attached to. There is also Windows
software from some tuner manufacturers (eg TBS) that makes their
tuners into networked ones on Windows boxes.

Re: Recommendations for a new backend... [ In reply to ]
On 30/04/19 6:17 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:

> Do remember the electricity bill. Modern motherboards use much less
> power than old ones. There has been a noticeable decrease in our bill
> from the time I updated the 24x7 PCs here. My main MythTV box went
> from over 200 W down to around 120-130 W when idle.
>
> In terms of network tuners, there are more than just HDHomeruns
> available. And you can turn any tuner into a networked one by running
> TVHeadEnd on the PC they are attached to. There is also Windows
> software from some tuner manufacturers (eg TBS) that makes their
> tuners into networked ones on Windows boxes.

I run an HP i5 all-in-one (mounted on a wall out of the way), with a USB3 external 1TB HDD and 4 USB TV tuners (the $5 RTL ones off aliexpress) wired into one UHF antenna via a splitter, running tvheadend on Debian 9. It also does DNS for my network, PXE network booting, network backup, etc etc.

I use KODI on whatever device I want to watch video streamed from the tvheadend box.