Mailing List Archive

Fresh install ubuntu 18.10 Cannot access database
mythtv-setup on the back end cannot access the database.
`sudo mysqlcheck --all-databases` shows `mythconverg` is installed.
I reran `sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common`and ensured the password is
`mythtv`

```
~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common
~$ mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)
```

I think this is some thing to do with the mysql configuration not
letting access happen from localhost, but I can find nothing on interweb
except about resetting passwords....

Worik
--
If not me then who? If not now then when? If not here then where?
So, here I stand, I can do no other

Re: Fresh install ubuntu 18.10 Cannot access database [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 18:21:01 +1300, you wrote:

>mythtv-setup on the back end cannot access the database.
>`sudo mysqlcheck --all-databases` shows `mythconverg` is installed.
>I reran `sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common`and ensured the password is
>`mythtv`
>
>```
>~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common
>~$ mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg
>Enter password:
>ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using
>password: YES)
>```
>
>I think this is some thing to do with the mysql configuration not
>letting access happen from localhost, but I can find nothing on interweb
>except about resetting passwords....
>
>Worik

It would not be easy to prevent MySQL from accepting access from
localhost, so I think that is unlikely. So resetting usernames and
passwords is likely what you need to do:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:MySQL

Look in your /etc/mythtv/config.xml and /home/<mythfrontend
user>/.mythtv/config.xml and find the username and password in each.
They probably should be the same. Change them to what you want them
to be, then substitute the values into the SQL on the web page and run
it. Make sure not to forget to surround the password with the
PASSWORD() function, otherwise you will be setting the password be
whatever encrypts to the password text string! So it is best to copy
and paste the text into an editor, substitute your username and
password, then copy and paste again into a command prompt, rather than
typing it in.

Are you using MySQL or MariaDB? I think they are a little different
now about how they do login security, but the commands on that web
page should still work in either.

Re: Fresh install ubuntu 18.10 Cannot access database [ In reply to ]
On 15/03/19 7:39 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 18:21:01 +1300, you wrote:
>
>> mythtv-setup on the back end cannot access the database.
>> `sudo mysqlcheck --all-databases` shows `mythconverg` is installed.
>> I reran `sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common`and ensured the password is
>> `mythtv`
>>
>> ```
>> ~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common
>> ~$ mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg
>> Enter password:
>> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using
>> password: YES)
>> ```
>>
>> I think this is some thing to do with the mysql configuration not
>> letting access happen from localhost, but I can find nothing on interweb
>> except about resetting passwords....

>> Worik
>
> It would not be easy to prevent MySQL from accepting access from
> localhost, so I think that is unlikely. So resetting usernames and
> passwords is likely what you need to do:

Turns out that the installation of mysql was all up the shoot.

I had to update the system table mysql.user and set the allowed host for
`mysql` to `localhost`.
It was `%`
Golly!

Worik