The graphics card used to happily drive two outputs. I use the DVI output
for console, and the HDMI for the TV. The old setup was an Asus GT 430
graphics card and it worked fine; with the new Intel HD 630 built-in one
I can only get it to set up one Xorg screen (or none!)

The "Xorg -configure" command fails, complaining about "no devices".
All my attempts at a manual Xorg.conf file produce either a working console,
with no TV output, or nothing at all (hangs during start-up)

We've had no TV to watch for several days, and SWMBO is not very pleased! :)

Re: Xorg and Intel HD 630 graphics -- please help! [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 14:27:25 +1200, you wrote:

>I've just changed CPU and motherboard for my MythTV machine, and having no
>luck at getting it to output a video signal to the TV. Anyone else have a
>similar set-up to this?
>
>OS is Linux, an Ubuntu derivative.
>
>The graphics card used to happily drive two outputs. I use the DVI output
>for console, and the HDMI for the TV. The old setup was an Asus GT 430
>graphics card and it worked fine; with the new Intel HD 630 built-in one
>I can only get it to set up one Xorg screen (or none!)
>
>The "Xorg -configure" command fails, complaining about "no devices".
>All my attempts at a manual Xorg.conf file produce either a working console,
>with no TV output, or nothing at all (hangs during start-up)
>
>We've had no TV to watch for several days, and SWMBO is not very pleased! :)

The obvious immediate answer to that problem is to put the GT430 card
back in the box, if possible. But the Intel GPU should work, even if
its deinterlacing will not be as good as the Nvidia card as MythTV
does not support the way Intel does the higher deinterlacing modes. I
have not used a modern Intel GPU recently, but I have an older one in
my laptop (i7-3610QM processor) and I have never had any problems
making it work with MythTV. I did not need to use any settings in
Xorg.conf - it just worked. I do not think I have ever tried it with
multiple monitors though.

How are you connecting things? Having monitors and TVs work properly
relies on the EDID data. My TV produces reasonable EDID data, so I do
not need to override it in settings anywhere, but some TVs are very
bad. Monitors tend to have better EDID data than TVs, but can have
bad data also. And the data needs to get through to the PC - so a
direct cable is best to try first, rather than through any HDMI
devices like amplifiers or switches.

Re: Xorg and Intel HD 630 graphics -- please help! [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 01 Sep 2018 14:45:17 +1200
Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 14:27:25 +1200, you wrote:
>
> >I've just changed CPU and motherboard for my MythTV machine, and having no
> >luck at getting it to output a video signal to the TV. Anyone else have a
> >similar set-up to this?
> >
> >OS is Linux, an Ubuntu derivative.
> >
> >The graphics card used to happily drive two outputs. I use the DVI output
> >for console, and the HDMI for the TV. The old setup was an Asus GT 430
> >graphics card and it worked fine; with the new Intel HD 630 built-in one
> >I can only get it to set up one Xorg screen (or none!)
> >
> >The "Xorg -configure" command fails, complaining about "no devices".
> >All my attempts at a manual Xorg.conf file produce either a working console,
> >with no TV output, or nothing at all (hangs during start-up)
> >
> >We've had no TV to watch for several days, and SWMBO is not very pleased! :)
>
> The obvious immediate answer to that problem is to put the GT430 card
> back in the box, if possible. But the Intel GPU should work, even if
> its deinterlacing will not be as good as the Nvidia card as MythTV
> does not support the way Intel does the higher deinterlacing modes. I
> have not used a modern Intel GPU recently, but I have an older one in
> my laptop (i7-3610QM processor) and I have never had any problems
> making it work with MythTV. I did not need to use any settings in
> Xorg.conf - it just worked. I do not think I have ever tried it with
> multiple monitors though.
>
> How are you connecting things? Having monitors and TVs work properly
> relies on the EDID data. My TV produces reasonable EDID data, so I do
> not need to override it in settings anywhere, but some TVs are very
> bad. Monitors tend to have better EDID data than TVs, but can have
> bad data also. And the data needs to get through to the PC - so a
> direct cable is best to try first, rather than through any HDMI
> devices like amplifiers or switches.

Console monitor is plugged straight into mobo DVI outlet; TV is connected
via HDMI-over-cat5 extender. All worked fine before with the same set-up.
I did have to have a custom xorg.conf, and assumed that all I would need
to do would be to change the driver from "nouveau" to "intel" -- but it
seems not!

I was hoping someone else would have the same set-up, and be able to say
something simple like "oh, you need a later kernel version" (4.4 at present).

Re: Xorg and Intel HD 630 graphics -- please help! [ In reply to ]
Have you tried deleting the xorg config completely? Ubuntu has a bunch
of defaults it will autoload and your should be able to manage it from
there.

You didn't mention which distro this is on but anything recent with
Intel cards tends to work better without Manual xorg config.

Re: Xorg and Intel HD 630 graphics -- please help! [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 16:37:35 +1200
Joel Wir?mu Pauling <joel@aenertia.net> wrote:

> Have you tried deleting the xorg config completely? Ubuntu has a bunch
> of defaults it will autoload and your should be able to manage it from
> there.
>
> You didn't mention which distro this is on but anything recent with
> Intel cards tends to work better without Manual xorg config.

Yes, that was how I could get anything to work at all. But it only
provides output for the console monitor, hence all my fiddling with
xorg.conf.

Re: Xorg and Intel HD 630 graphics -- please help! [ In reply to ]
On 1/09/18 4:17 PM, Austin Green wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Sep 2018 14:45:17 +1200
> Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 14:27:25 +1200, you wrote:
>>
>>> I've just changed CPU and motherboard for my MythTV machine, and having no
>>> luck at getting it to output a video signal to the TV. Anyone else have a
>>> similar set-up to this?
>>>
>>> OS is Linux, an Ubuntu derivative.
>>>
>>> The graphics card used to happily drive two outputs. I use the DVI output
>>> for console, and the HDMI for the TV. The old setup was an Asus GT 430
>>> graphics card and it worked fine; with the new Intel HD 630 built-in one
>>> I can only get it to set up one Xorg screen (or none!)
>>>
>>> The "Xorg -configure" command fails, complaining about "no devices".
>>> All my attempts at a manual Xorg.conf file produce either a working console,
>>> with no TV output, or nothing at all (hangs during start-up)
>>>
>>> We've had no TV to watch for several days, and SWMBO is not very pleased! :)
>> The obvious immediate answer to that problem is to put the GT430 card
>> back in the box, if possible. But the Intel GPU should work, even if
>> its deinterlacing will not be as good as the Nvidia card as MythTV
>> does not support the way Intel does the higher deinterlacing modes. I
>> have not used a modern Intel GPU recently, but I have an older one in
>> my laptop (i7-3610QM processor) and I have never had any problems
>> making it work with MythTV. I did not need to use any settings in
>> Xorg.conf - it just worked. I do not think I have ever tried it with
>> multiple monitors though.
>>
>> How are you connecting things? Having monitors and TVs work properly
>> relies on the EDID data. My TV produces reasonable EDID data, so I do
>> not need to override it in settings anywhere, but some TVs are very
>> bad. Monitors tend to have better EDID data than TVs, but can have
>> bad data also. And the data needs to get through to the PC - so a
>> direct cable is best to try first, rather than through any HDMI
>> devices like amplifiers or switches.
> Console monitor is plugged straight into mobo DVI outlet; TV is connected
> via HDMI-over-cat5 extender. All worked fine before with the same set-up.
> I did have to have a custom xorg.conf, and assumed that all I would need
> to do would be to change the driver from "nouveau" to "intel" -- but it
> seems not!
>
> I was hoping someone else would have the same set-up, and be able to say
> something simple like "oh, you need a later kernel version" (4.4 at present).

What happens when you connect ONLY the TV to the HDMI output of the
card, with a straight HDMI cable (eliminate the cat5 extender, maybe you
have to move the box close enough first/temporarily).  If nothing, what
about the suggestion of deleting xorg.conf (actually, rename it to
xorg.conf-old is safer), rebooting and try again?

Cheers,
Roger

Re: Xorg and Intel HD 630 graphics -- please help! [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 14:27:25 +1200, you wrote:

>I've just changed CPU and motherboard for my MythTV machine, and having no
>luck at getting it to output a video signal to the TV. Anyone else have a
>similar set-up to this?
>
>OS is Linux, an Ubuntu derivative.
>
>The graphics card used to happily drive two outputs. I use the DVI output
>for console, and the HDMI for the TV. The old setup was an Asus GT 430
>graphics card and it worked fine; with the new Intel HD 630 built-in one
>I can only get it to set up one Xorg screen (or none!)
>
>The "Xorg -configure" command fails, complaining about "no devices".
>All my attempts at a manual Xorg.conf file produce either a working console,
>with no TV output, or nothing at all (hangs during start-up)
>
>We've had no TV to watch for several days, and SWMBO is not very pleased! :)

Some good news for the future - one of the devs has just done support
for VAAPI2, which should provide proper support for hardware
deinterlacing using modern Intel GPUs. It should be available in v30
when it is released.

Re: Xorg and Intel HD 630 graphics -- please help! [ In reply to ]
Thanks for all your suggestions, which have helped me make some progress.

Connecting the TV alone caused HDMI output to appear (yeay!) Also, connecting the console monitor via both DVI and HDMI caused both outputs to be activated, and with different pictures on each (yeay!) so I could switch between them. That was 90% of the way there. Unfortunately, it set them up as two areas of the same display, so I could move the cursor between them, and so forth.

My remaining problem is to get them on to two independent displays, so that I can address them as ":0.0" and ":0.1", as before the upgrade.

I have temporarily put the old graphics card back in, so at least the system works while I play around with Xorg settings.

Re: Xorg and Intel HD 630 graphics -- please help! [ In reply to ]
> On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 14:27:25 +1200, you wrote:
>
>>I've just changed CPU and motherboard for my MythTV machine, and having
>> no
>>luck at getting it to output a video signal to the TV. Anyone else have
>>similar set-up to this?
>>
>>OS is Linux, an Ubuntu derivative.
>>
>>The graphics card used to happily drive two outputs. I use the DVI
output for console, and the HDMI for the TV. The old setup was an Asus
GT 430 graphics card and it worked fine; with the new Intel HD 630
built-in one I can only get it to set up one Xorg screen (or none!)

>>The "Xorg -configure" command fails, complaining about "no devices". All
my attempts at a manual Xorg.conf file produce either a working
>> console,
>>with no TV output, or nothing at all (hangs during start-up)
>>
>>We've had no TV to watch for several days, and SWMBO is not very pleased!
>> :)
>
> Some good news for the future - one of the devs has just done support
for VAAPI2, which should provide proper support for hardware
> deinterlacing using modern Intel GPUs. It should be available in v30
when it is released.

I've been keeping an eye on this as with VAAPI I can't get frame rate
switching to work correctly - the playback video is always offset from the
top of the screen which is very frustrating.

Sadly at the moment I don't have spare HW to try out v30 on.