Mailing List Archive

Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV?
For me, a definite 'no' -- I'm totally hooked! We can only get satellite here, and I'm sure 'smart' TVs do not generally include a satellite tuner. I have a quad tuner card, so can potentially record 20 channels at once, and often do record six or seven simultaneously. I don't use ad detection, it doesn't seem to be reliable enough, but I would not live without the ability to manually skip ads with a few presses on the remote -- one of the features that sold Myth to me many years ago. I use the PC where MythTV runs for work and other stuff, so it gets upgraded/replaced as needed for that anyway.

Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV? [ In reply to ]
I thought I would move away from myth once online content really took off.
However the content is sometimes hard to find, logging into VPN to access
overseas content and the usability of the online is not there yet. It is
good but not slick like myth. Over time I expect broadcasters in NZ to
reduce their content offerings or at least the quality of them as online is
the way things are going. But at the moment we are probably 50/50 between
online and myth and until then I will keep myth running.

Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV? [ In reply to ]
Replacement hardware can be cheap,  I have used ex lease Dell
Optiplex-es for all our frontends and back end machines.  Because
there's no HD on FTA, we can use either the inbuilt HDMI or VGA port.
All is required is the SAT cards.  So the hardware cost is around the
$100 mark.  I've been using MythTV from the beginning, and never have
needed high-end hardware.  For HD work, a graphics card maybe, but
freeview is all SD, so it's not really required for jitter free viewing.

Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV? [ In reply to ]
On 28/08/2018, at 6:23 PM, me wrote:

> For HD work, a graphics card maybe, but freeview is all SD, so it's not really required for jitter free viewing.

I'm sorry, what?

Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV? [ In reply to ]
On 28/08/18 18:23, me wrote:
> but freeview is all SD
That is only correct for Satelite. DVB-T has HD Freeview.

See
https://freeviewnz.tv/faq-library/channels-programme-guides/which-channels-will-have-hd-programmes/