My TV is also as old and is showing its age so it’s really time to get rid
of the 50kg plasma as well.

Modern smart tv’s seem to have all of the features and more of myth so
apart from auto ad detection and the feeling of sticking it to the man, is
it actually at the point where myth is no longer needed.

I’m looking at a Panasonic oled.

Would be interested in the groups thoughts.

Toby.
Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 01:34:22 +1200, you wrote:

>I?ve been a long time MythTV user. Since version 12 back in the days of
>analog capture cards and sky ir diodes. It?s been a wild ride.
>
>Last night my faithful MythTV box gave up the ghost. It?s been threatening
>for a while but it looks like the power supply died and took out the ssd
>boot, motherboard and also hard disk.

I have never yet had a power supply dying cause any damage to other
components. But I normally buy reasonably expensive power supplies
with good protection circuits. I also have a spare power supply on
hand at all times to replace one that dies - I use it to run my
test/development PC when it is not needed in a production PC.

>The box is six years old and it?s my 4th box in all those years.

I have only changed my motherboard once since my first MythTV box
arrived (3-May-2007). But I have changed everything else gradually as
I upgraded things.

>My question is, is it now at the point where myth is no longer needed.
>Faced with the prospect of dropping the best part of a grand on a new box
>as well as precious time to rebuild (I have a newborn).
>My TV is also as old and is showing its age so it?s really time to get rid
>of the 50kg plasma as well.
>
>Modern smart tv?s seem to have all of the features and more of myth so
>apart from auto ad detection and the feeling of sticking it to the man, is
>it actually at the point where myth is no longer needed.
>
>I?m looking at a Panasonic oled.
>
>Would be interested in the groups thoughts.
>
>Toby.

If you are thinking of using the TV to record to a USB disk, then the
user interface is going to drive you crazy - TVs do not do a good job
of recording. And they normally have only one tuner, so when you are
watching TV, you can not record anything other than what you are
watching. I am not sure if modern TVs allow you to play back
something else at the same time as recording - I would hope so, but
you should check.

What does seem to work for people is to have available on demand
access via Internet to TV programmes, either via a free-to-air
channel's on demand service, or via subscription sites. If you can
get all you want that way, then just a TV may work, if it has all the
necessary apps or you can get access to the sites via its web browser.
But most people report that their TV, even this years models, will not
do all that very well - the say they need a good external box like an
Nvidia Shield to do that.

As well, you need to know that TV's apps will normally run out of
support in less than two years, and after that they will stop working
when any changes are made to the sites that require updating of the
apps. Nvidia have a good record so far of keeping the Shield up to
date, but that is not nearly as long as MythTV has been kept up to
date.

Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV [ In reply to ]
Four features stand out for us on MythTV (and TiVo) are :-

* Multiple tuners
* Season recording
* Ad skipping (you can't skip ads with "on-demand")
* Ease of use

Stephen's points about smart TVs versus "set top boxes" are also very
important. Not only can boxes like nVidia Shield and MiBox keep up to
date you can also install extra apps easily.
Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV [ In reply to ]
I've moved house - the myth backend is in the rack but no network over
there, no satellite dish, and no urgent need to get it done.

The kids have found Subnautica recordings on youtube instead, and the
other half is too busy doing unpacking to watch TV.

As for TVs I've merely used them as big monitors. So if you want a new TV
just go for it, and consider making the mythtv decision later.

Personally I'd consider building with a HDHomerun and a DVB T setup now,
but that hasn't got to the top of the list... things like "fix squeaky
doors", "run ethernet through house", and "find the damn cheese grater"
are much higher priority.

Personally, I haven't watched TV for years. Its always been something for
the rest of the family.

Toby Mills wrote:
> Iâ??ve been a long time MythTV user. Since version 12 back in the days of
> analog capture cards and sky ir diodes. Itâ??s been a wild ride.
>
> Last night my faithful MythTV box gave up the ghost. Itâ??s been
> threatening
> for a while but it looks like the power supply died and took out the ssd
> boot, motherboard and also hard disk.
>
> The box is six years old and itâ??s my 4th box in all those years.
>
> My question is, is it now at the point where myth is no longer needed.
> Faced with the prospect of dropping the best part of a grand on a new box
> as well as precious time to rebuild (I have a newborn).
> My TV is also as old and is showing its age so itâ??s really time to get
> rid of the 50kg plasma as well.
>
> Modern smart tvâ??s seem to have all of the features and more of myth so
> apart from auto ad detection and the feeling of sticking it to the man, is
> it actually at the point where myth is no longer needed.
>
> Iâ??m looking at a Panasonic oled.
>
> Would be interested in the groups thoughts.
>
> Toby.

Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV [ In reply to ]
I use mythtv less and less, but I still wouldn't be without it. A HDHomerun
takes the "whatif" out of upgrading your kernel as it is pretty well
driverless.

I use kodi to watch though, but that is preference.

Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV [ In reply to ]
I had a quick look on pricespy

Mobo: ~ $ 75 - $100

CPU: ~ $ 60 - $100

HDD: 1TB ~ $80

SSD: 120GB ~ $45

PSU: 450W ~ $40

Worst case $370 and you have a better system than what I am using right now.

-Paul

Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV [ In reply to ]
https://rainbowhightech.co.nz/products/copy-of-refurbished-dell-optiplex-990-desktop-computer-intel-core-i5
$170 ++
or
https://rainbowhightech.co.nz/products/refurbished-dell-optiplex-990-desktop-computer-intel-core-i5
$170++

or
https://pctraders.co.nz/collections/computer-systems/products/hp-compaq-6300-pro-sff-ex-lease-desktop-i5-2400-3-1ghz-4gb-ram-250gb-hdd-dvd-rw-windows-10-pro
$209 INC GST

Add a big drive, and its good enough for TV.

Personally I'm thinking about a HD Homerun, and then virtualise the entire
mythbox as a VM.

Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV [ In reply to ]
I have done this and can confirm it works great. Currently using windows 10 and Hyper-V for the MythTV virtual machine, which is a MythBuntu install, HD Homerun for the capture card.
The storage drive 10TB is connected to the Windows 10 machine, with a folder shared for media, music and MythTV. The appropriate shares are mapped to the MythTV VM
MythTV does the schedule/TV guides via OTA updates.

You can watch live TV from inside the VM, but there is no sound, and HD channels skip/drop frames, it enough to check that it is all working, setup cards etc.

Frontend is a Raspberry PI 3B running LibreELEC (KODI) with the MythTV PVR Client addon for Live TV/Recordings.
You can set timers and recording schedules from inside Kodi, but I prefer to use the MythWeb interface.

Works well for me

Cheers,
Craig

Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 18/09/18 13:07, Craig Blaikie wrote:
> Frontend is a Raspberry PI 3B running LibreELEC (KODI) with the MythTV PVR Client addon for Live TV/Recordings.
> You can set timers and recording schedules from inside Kodi, but I prefer to use the MythWeb interface.

I have had no success using kodi as a frontend. What methods did you
follow?

If not me then who? If not now then when? If not here then where?
So, here I stand, I can do no other
root@worik.org 021-1680650, (03) 4821804 Aotearoa (New Zealand)

Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV [ In reply to ]
Install kodi. Install the pvr.mythtv addon (if it is not included in kodi).
Set the mythtv server details. Job done.

Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 at 14:31, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:

> Install kodi. Install the pvr.mythtv addon (if it is not included in
> kodi). Set the mythtv server details. Job done.

Quite right Nick. I have MythTV via Kodi on my Android tablet, a NUC with
LibreELEC, and old PC with LibreELEC, 2 Mi Boxes and one nVidia Shield
Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV [ In reply to ]
> Install kodi. Install the pvr.mythtv addon (if it is not included in
> kodi).
> Set the mythtv server details. Job done.
>
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 1:55 PM, worik <worik.stanton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 18/09/18 13:07, Craig Blaikie wrote:
>> > Frontend is a Raspberry PI 3B running LibreELEC (KODI) with the MythTV
>> PVR Client addon for Live TV/Recordings.
>> > You can set timers and recording schedules from inside Kodi, but I
>> prefer to use the MythWeb interface.
>>
>> I have had no success using kodi as a frontend. What methods did you
>> follow?

>> --

I?ve also had little success with KODI and the MythTV plugin. Android,
Windows and I think Linux variants were all tried but, not in the last few
months.
KODI freezes shortly after the MythTV plugin starts up while doing
something like retrieving recordings and I suspect it?s primarily related
to the number of recordings, or possibly something funny with some of them
as KODI did briefly work after I culled a huge number.

Mark

Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2018-09-18 at 01:07 +0000, Craig Blaikie wrote:

> Frontend is a Raspberry PI 3B running LibreELEC (KODI) with the
> MythTV PVR Client addon for Live TV/Recordings.
> You can set timers and recording schedules from inside Kodi, but I
> prefer to use the MythWeb interface.

I'm in the process of setting a RP3B as a MythTV FE using the mythtv-
light project. But it has been a slow process as my existing Epia VIA
frontend still mostly works, but I have picked this project up again.

Cheers,
Andrew

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
andrew@etc.gen.nz | linux.conf.au 2019, Christchurch, NZ

Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 18/09/18 14:59, Mark Kendall wrote:
> I?ve also had little success with KODI and the MythTV plugin.
Because I have had no hassle getting Kodi to work with MythTV on
multiple frontends I wonder if you might be using a different add-on.

I use the "MythTV PVR Client" (not MythBox)

Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV [ In reply to ]
> On 18/09/18 14:59, Mark Kendall wrote:
>> IÂ?ve also had little success with KODI and the MythTV plugin.
> Because I have had no hassle getting Kodi to work with MythTV on
> multiple frontends I wonder if you might be using a different add-on.
>
> I use the "MythTV PVR Client" (not MythBox)

Definitely the MythTV PVR plugin, I posted a message in the forums in 2016
about it https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=298041 and have tried a
few times since with no (or only very brief) success.

Hopefully in a few months time I will have time to look into it more and
will log a bug report to try and get more help tracking down the problem.

I've seen that some not quite related fixes have been done that may
possibly have an impact on the freezing so will probably try an update to
see if the problem is still there.

Mark

Re: Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV [ In reply to ]
>> On 18/09/18 14:59, Mark Kendall wrote:
>>> IÂ?ve also had little success with KODI and the MythTV plugin.
>> Because I have had no hassle getting Kodi to work with MythTV on
>> multiple frontends I wonder if you might be using a different add-on.
>>
>> I use the "MythTV PVR Client" (not MythBox)
>>

> Definitely the MythTV PVR plugin, I posted a message in the forums in 2016
> about it https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=298041 and have tried a
> few times since with no (or only very brief) success.
>
> Hopefully in a few months time I will have time to look into it more and
> will log a bug report to try and get more help tracking down the problem.
>
> I've seen that some not quite related fixes have been done that may
> possibly have an impact on the freezing so will probably try an update to
> see if the problem is still there.
>
> Mark

I tried Kodi again last night and had partial success after the pretty
much complete failures I use to get.

Kodi 17.6 with MythTV PVR Client 4.12.12 on Ubuntu 18.04 now works
Kodi 17.6 with MythTV PVR Client 4.15.3 on Windows 10 now works
Kodi 17.6 with MythTV PVR Client 4.15.3 on Android TV and also X92 Android
Box doesn't work. Kodi crashes when I attempt to access TV option with
MythTV addon configured and enabled.

I think the main changes since when all the above builds use to freeze is
that Ubuntu and the MythTV server have been upgraded and a network switch
has been upgraded.

It's a nuisance about the android TV box not working, that's what I most
want Kodi on! I don't know exactly what variant of Kodi 17.6 the Google
store has installed but I will next probably try downloading the following
from kodi.tv to see if there's any difference
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm64-v8a/kodi-17.6-Krypton-arm64-v8a.apk

Also, back onto the original topic regarding saying bye to MythTV, a
decent amount of time we go to OnDemand to try and watch something that
wasn't recorded (one off programs) we find that is not available.

Mark