OR is commercial detection in NZ just soo fraught with pain it’s a waste of time?

Cheers,
James.
Re: reasonably effective commercial detection silence.preset for NZ? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 06 May 2018 18:32:00 +1200, you wrote:

>Does anyone have (which they would share) a silence.preset for the silence based commercial detection that they believe works reasonably well?
>
>Or is there a better commercial detection approach for NZ than the silence detection model?
>
>OR is commercial detection in NZ just soo fraught with pain it?s a waste of time?
>
>Cheers,
>James.

I have not heard of anyone who has succeeded with commercial detection
in NZ. There are some Sky channels where it might work, but I have
just given up and turned it off so as not to waste all the CPU cycles
and electricity it was using, as it never worked. It is not a real
problem anyway, as it is so easy to use the skip forward/back keys to
skip over the ad breaks.

Re: reasonably effective commercial detection silence.preset for NZ? [ In reply to ]
> I have
> just given up and turned it off so as not to waste all the CPU cycles
> and electricity it was using, as it never worked.
Where do you turn it off?

Re: reasonably effective commercial detection silence.preset for NZ? [ In reply to ]
In the backed there is a switch under jobs section. I'll screen shot
tonight for you...

Re: reasonably effective commercial detection silence.preset for NZ? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 7 May 2018 08:35:23 +1200, you wrote:

>On 06/05/18 20:16, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> I have
>> just given up and turned it off so as not to waste all the CPU cycles
>> and electricity it was using, as it never worked.
>Where do you turn it off?

Mythtv-setup > General > Job Queue (Backend-Specific) > Allow advert
detection jobs

MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from settings where
value='JobAllowCommFlag';
+------------------+------+----------+
| value | data | hostname |
+------------------+------+----------+
| JobAllowCommFlag | 0 | mypvr |
Re: reasonably effective commercial detection silence.preset for NZ? [ In reply to ]
Yep. The commercial detection is very processed hungry. And as Stephen
mentions as we have skip ability (which we can fine tune too) then no real
need anyway.

Re: reasonably effective commercial detection silence.preset for NZ? [ In reply to ]
The tooling I have setup is per this wiki page:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Commercial_detection_with_silences <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Commercial_detection_with_silences>

The processing seems to be reasonably light weight and pretty fast. I do have a quad core backend master sever that just shrugs when 2 such jobs are processing. However on older kit I can see how it might be more pushed.

As to effectiveness - the wiki page “advertises” it as working/workable in NZ, hence my question to the community. However having analysed some of the shows on various channels I can see how tough it will be to get consistent “okay” results. The methods for fading between shows and commercials are all over the place.

I’ve been using the skip facilities for years so no issue returning to that. I was just hoping to achieve some processing magic :-)

Cheers,
James.

Re: reasonably effective commercial detection silence.preset for NZ? [ In reply to ]
Silence detection is not CPU intensive as it involves no video decoding.

Re: reasonably effective commercial detection silence.preset for NZ? [ In reply to ]
I hear what you are saying and I agree. When I saw my CPU going through the
roof I saw the job running as ad detection and when I disabled it my CPU
went right down to normal. Strange. SO I have always thought this was a CPU
intensive thing,. I noted the jobs ran after the recording completed and it
redid those until I disabled the detection. Anyways I am happy enough to
give it another go now as I am setting up new mythtv on 18.04.

Re: reasonably effective commercial detection silence.preset for NZ? [ In reply to ]
Karl - just to be clear are you using the normal mythcomflag process? Or the silence detection system per the wiki page I linked in my earlier email?

If you are still on mythcommflag then it will be pretty intensive as its scrubbing through the video frames looking for various things. As Nick noted the Silence detection system is looking only at the sound stream. Much lighter weight to process.

Re: reasonably effective commercial detection silence.preset for NZ? [ In reply to ]
Yes it was mythcommflag. All good. Ta

Re: reasonably effective commercial detection silence.preset for NZ? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 3:00 PM James Walker <james.walker.nz@me.com> wrote:

> The tooling I have setup is per this wiki page:
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Commercial_detection_with_silences

> The processing seems to be reasonably light weight and pretty fast. I do
have a quad core backend master sever that just shrugs when 2 such jobs are
processing. However on older kit I can see how it might be more pushed.

> As to effectiveness - the wiki page “advertises” it as working/workable
in NZ, hence my question to the community. However having analysed some of
the shows on various channels I can see how tough it will be to get
consistent “okay” results. The methods for fading between shows and
commercials are all over the place.

> I’ve been using the skip facilities for years so no issue returning to
that. I was just hoping to achieve some processing magic :-)

> Cheers,
> James.

I had a configured slience.preset but seem to have lost it.... Given I
hadn't noticed it probably wasn't much better than the defaults which I
find much better than nothing. Works reasonably well on prime time shows on
three and prime, Dukes not too bad. 2 is the worst, particularly half hour
shows. Not so great on news shows. It can be disabled per show or channel
but I've never bothered. As with all ad detection routines it is not
perfect, some shows it will pick up all ad breaks, some shows only one or
two. The worst is when it gets an ad break completely wrong and skips some
of the show. if you have auto skip on you need to jump back obviously.

The fading doesn't really matter as much as the number of silences in an ad
break. Short ad breaks are the hardest to deal with, and shows like the
news which have silence between short segments. Most pre-recorded shows
don't have real silences that are clustered like an ad break.

Having the OSD 'ad skip' show up just before an auto ad skip starts works
well with it as it tends to make it more obvious if a skip is too long - I
can't remember the name of this setting.

It doesn't take much effort to install or get working so I'd suggest giving
it a go and see if it works on the shows you watch.

Debug mode gives a lot of info if you want to attempt to configure it.

I use it on an atom based combined backend/frontend and the silence
detections routines take 1 minute to process a 30 minute recording.

Cheers,
Adam.