and showing tv, recording etc. But then on reboot lost connection to backed
master. Tried all sorts of things checking logs, recreating the tuners.
Anyone had any luck?
Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 06 May 2018 08:58:40 +0000, you wrote:

>I thought I'd be premature and try the new 18.04 Ubuntu bionic on a unit I
>had version 28 running perfectly on 16.04. Has anyone been successful with
>getting mythtv (29) on bionic? It being a little temperamental. I got it up
>and showing tv, recording etc. But then on reboot lost connection to backed
>master. Tried all sorts of things checking logs, recreating the tuners.
>Anyone had any luck?

Is this a combined frontend and backend? Does restarting mythbackend
fix the problem?

Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]
Hi Stephen. Yes it is combined front and back.When I try start backed via
terminal but it shows error connecting to database. It is localhost.

One thing I notice different compared to previous LTS is on running
mythtv-setup the adding user mythtv to my user doesn't work. I manually
adduser via CLI and then all good. I did get everything up okay. But now
nothing seems to work.

I haven't seen anything on forums with anyone successful yet with bionic.
:-(

Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]
I can post some logs tomorrow. I've setup myth many times with no issues
all under Ubuntu before. But bionic seems to have changed the field a
little. Other than that and a bug with network not resuming after suspend
waking it is a fantastic os. Super fast.

Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]
After not having a TV aerial or working MythTV for over a year I recently got it going again. I haven't upgraded my server/front ent combo yet but it is running MythTV 0.29.

On a ZOTAC ION front end I decided to do a fresh install from DVD the day after 18.04 was realeased and used a new hard drive just in case I wanted to swap back. The new install was a failure, initially due to timezone issues, after much googling and finding something similar I discovered that by unplugging the network cable it got past the timezone issue but failed later on for some other reason. USB install also didn't work (didn't even boot properly). I gave up on the fresh install, put the old disk back in and upgraded from 17.04->17.10->18.04 with little problem, think I had to install newer libcec library and then setup some key bindings for HDMI remote to work (via pulse eight adapter which was previously probably using lirc and cec-utils)

A problem I had with MythTV 0.29: Apart from some recent recordings last month all the other recordings (which were over a year old) were marked with DELETEPENDING=1 in the database. Because of this they appeared on the webserver but not in the MythTV client nor in the newer web interface. Initially I thought I had stuffed something up as I had SQL deleted huge numbers of failed recordings.

A newly setup Android KODI client also connected to my MythTV 0.29 server via the PVR plugin but unfortunately has since been problematic. Previously the other two KODI clients (Windows and Linux) I tried locked up while trying to retrieve recordings. Does anyone know if KODI has trouble with lots of recording files (I've trimmed the number of recordings held by MythTV down to a little over 800)

Cheers

Mark

I thought I'd be premature and try the new 18.04 Ubuntu bionic on a unit I had version 28 running perfectly on 16.04. Has anyone been successful with getting mythtv (29) on bionic? It being a little temperamental. I got it up and showing tv, recording etc. But then on reboot lost connection to backed master. Tried all sorts of things checking logs, recreating the tuners. Anyone had any luck?
Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]
Never used Kodi with Mythtv so not sure sorry. But at least you have mythtv
working on 18.04. I might look at what is different in going to 18.04
native versus upgrade path from 16.04->17.04. Is there any bugs issued
under on google searches?

Cheers, Karl

Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 06 May 2018 09:31:53 +0000, you wrote:

>I can post some logs tomorrow. I've setup myth many times with no issues
>all under Ubuntu before. But bionic seems to have changed the field a
>little. Other than that and a bug with network not resuming after suspend
>waking it is a fantastic os. Super fast.

I have just done an Xubuntu 18.04 + MythTV 29+fixes install in
VirtualBox using an IPTV tuner, and it all seems to be working, except
EPG which I have not set up yet. The only problem I had was getting
the audio working, which required changing the virtual machine
settings from AC97 to Intel HD emulation. I even remembered to
install MariaDB before installing MythTV so I did not get MySQL
installed by default.

Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]
Wow awesome. I think I might restart over again from scratch then. Cheers.

Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 07 May 2018 17:48:06 +0000, you wrote:

>On Mon, 7 May 2018, 22:24 Stephen Worthington, <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
>wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 06 May 2018 09:31:53 +0000, you wrote:
>>
>> >I can post some logs tomorrow. I've setup myth many times with no issues
>> >all under Ubuntu before. But bionic seems to have changed the field a
>> >little. Other than that and a bug with network not resuming after suspend
>> >waking it is a fantastic os. Super fast.
>>
>> I have just done an Xubuntu 18.04 + MythTV 29+fixes install in
>> VirtualBox using an IPTV tuner, and it all seems to be working, except
>> EPG which I have not set up yet. The only problem I had was getting
>> the audio working, which required changing the virtual machine
>> settings from AC97 to Intel HD emulation. I even remembered to
>> install MariaDB before installing MythTV so I did not get MySQL
>> installed by default.
>>

>Wow awesome. I think I might restart over again from scratch then. Cheers.

The only problem I had was that I had to create a
/home/<username>/.mythtv/config.xml file. I just did this:

cd /home/<username>/.mythtv
ln -s /etc/mythtv/config.xml

Then I was able to run mythtv-setup and mythfrontend.

Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]
Has anyone tried upgrading (MythBuntu) 16.04 to 18.04?
Any horror stories or success stories?

On 8 May 2018 at 05:48, Karl <skooobie@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow awesome. I think I might restart over again from scratch then. Cheers.
>
> On Mon, 7 May 2018, 22:24 Stephen Worthington, <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 06 May 2018 09:31:53 +0000, you wrote:
>>
>> >I can post some logs tomorrow. I've setup myth many times with no issues
>> >all under Ubuntu before. But bionic seems to have changed the field a
>> >little. Other than that and a bug with network not resuming after suspend
>> >waking it is a fantastic os. Super fast.
>>
>> I have just done an Xubuntu 18.04 + MythTV 29+fixes install in
>> VirtualBox using an IPTV tuner, and it all seems to be working, except
>> EPG which I have not set up yet. The only problem I had was getting
>> the audio working, which required changing the virtual machine
>> settings from AC97 to Intel HD emulation. I even remembered to
>> install MariaDB before installing MythTV so I did not get MySQL
>> installed by default.

Robert Fisher
Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]
Not that I have ever used mythbuntu but I thought it was being discontinued
as a distro. I think 17.04 was the last release.

Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]
update-manager -c tried to update me to 17.10 and then crashed halfway
through. I had to manually change the sources.d list to bionic, then apt
dist-upgrade on the command line. I panicked a bit when their were some
broken dependencies, but I eventually managed to force the upgrade.
Also, the xbmc ppa did not have kodi 17 packages for bionic, so I had to
uninstall, then install from the main ubuntu repo.

After the upgrade it has been plain sailing. I'm on Mythtv 0.28 and Kodi
17 and quite happy.

One issue I did face was screen scaling - gnome only has full integers for
scaling factors - 100% on a 40" 1080p screen is too hard to read from
across the room, but 200% scaling is far too big. I eventually managed to
get a scaling factor I was comfortable with by messing around with a combo
of the gnome settings app and xrandr This was the xrandr command I used,
but it also required toggling back and forth on the settings app to get it
right.

~$ xrandr --output HDMI-0 --scale 1.25x1.25

At least it retains the scaling when I turn the screen on and off. Unity
would forget every time, I think because my HDMI passes through a Yamaha
Home Theatre amplifier which cludges the EDID.

Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 9 May 2018 14:37:39 +1200, you wrote:

>On 8 May 2018 at 05:48, Karl <skooobie@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Wow awesome. I think I might restart over again from scratch then. Cheers.
>>
>> On Mon, 7 May 2018, 22:24 Stephen Worthington, <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
>> wrote:

>>> I have just done an Xubuntu 18.04 + MythTV 29+fixes install in
>>> VirtualBox using an IPTV tuner, and it all seems to be working, except
>>> EPG which I have not set up yet. The only problem I had was getting
>>> the audio working, which required changing the virtual machine
>>> settings from AC97 to Intel HD emulation. I even remembered to
>>> install MariaDB before installing MythTV so I did not get MySQL
>>> installed by default.

>Has anyone tried upgrading (MythBuntu) 16.04 to 18.04?
>Any horror stories or success stories?

The upgrade from 16.04 LTS to 18.04 LTS is not supported yet. It
should come in about a month with 18.04.1. You can force it if you
want to, but I would recommend waiting until it has been debugged. If
you do want to upgrade at the moment, you should do it stepwise: 16.04
=> 16.10 => 17.04 => 17.10 => 18.04. Which may not be possible as I
believe that 16.10 is no longer supported, but 16.04 LTS has been
supported and may have changes that do not upgrade to 16.10 now. It
was like that for the 14.04 LTS to 16.04 LTS upgrade - people had
problems until it was properly supported with 16.04.1.

Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]
Thanks Stephen.
My system is working fine so I would not want to do anything to jeopardise
that.
The backend is also my file server, EMBY server, web server and
transmission server.

Robert Fisher

Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]
I took the plunge (to 18.04.1) and most seems fine (on my MythBuntu  server)

except mythweb (and VNC server - only get a grey screen now with an X
cursor)

To get Apache to restart (without mythweb) I had to edit

/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/mythweb.conf with the following:

#next 3 lines commented by Robert
#            php_value file_uploads                  0
#            php_value allow_url_fopen               On

#            php_value zlib.output_handler           Off

#next line commented by Robert
#            php_value memory_limit                  64M

#next line commented by Robert
#            php_value max_execution_time 30

#next 2 lines commented by Robert
#            php_value display_startup_errors        On
#            php_value display_errors                On

Any help appreciated on what to do to get Mythweb working again.

Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 25 Aug 2018 at 11:08, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:

> I took the plunge (to 18.04.1) and most seems fine (on my MythBuntu server)
>
> except mythweb (and VNC server - only get a grey screen now with an X
> cursor)
>
> To get Apache to restart (without mythweb) I had to edit
>
> /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/mythweb.conf with the following:
>
> #next 3 lines commented by Robert
> # php_value file_uploads 0
> # php_value allow_url_fopen On
>
> # php_value zlib.output_handler Off
>
> #next line commented by Robert
> # php_value memory_limit 64M
>
> #next line commented by Robert
> # php_value max_execution_time 30
>
> #next 2 lines commented by Robert
> # php_value display_startup_errors On
> # php_value display_errors On
>
> Any help appreciated on what to do to get Mythweb working again.
>

> On 21/08/18 12:54, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> > ** Reply to message from Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> on Tue, 21
> > Aug 2018 10:04:50 +1200

> >> So on a backend (no lirc or nVidia) I should be fine?
> > Yes. I have not run across any problems with the base system.
> >
> > --
> > Stephen Worthington stephen@jsw.gen.nz
> > Telephone: +64-6-357-4275 Mobile: +64-27-671-8316

Perhaps try the solution here, which worked for me about a year ago
when php was updated & mythweb stopped working:

Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]
On 25/08/18 11:17, Curtis Walker wrote:
> Perhaps try the solution here, which worked for me about a year ago
> when php was updated & mythweb stopped working:

Thanks. I think before trying that (going back to older PHP version) I
will wait for other answers.
(Stephen perhaps)

Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 25 Aug 2018, 11:29 Robert Fisher, <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:

> On 25/08/18 11:17, Curtis Walker wrote:
> > Perhaps try the solution here, which worked for me about a year ago
> > when php was updated & mythweb stopped working:
> > https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=222245
> >
> Thanks. I think before trying that (going back to older PHP version) I
> will wait for other answers.
> (Stephen perhaps)

It's a small and easy workaround for the latest/current php, by
editing/replacing $this for $that.

No downgrade required.

Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]

Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]
On 25/08/18 11:08, Robert Fisher wrote:
> I took the plunge (to 18.04.1) and most seems fine (on my MythBuntu
> server)
>
> except mythweb (and VNC server - only get a grey screen now with an X
> cursor)

MythWeb now works after:-

sudo a2enmod php7.2
then
sudo systemctl restart apache2

Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]
Good news Robert. You should also perhaps run the following to ensure the
default remains with php7.2 and to disable the other version if not
required (in this case below 7.1):

sudo a2dismod php7.1
sudo update-alternatives --set php /usr/bin/php7.2

Just in case upon a reboot you lose the default back to your previous php
version.

Re: 18.04 and mythtv [ In reply to ]
On 27/08/18 12:50, Karl wrote:
> Good news Robert. You should also perhaps run the following to ensure
> the default remains with php7.2 and to disable the other version if
> not required (in this case below 7.1):
>
> sudo a2dismod php7.1
> sudo update-alternatives --set php /usr/bin/php7.2

I had already rebooted and checked OK.

robert@FishMyth:~$ sudo a2dismod php7.1
[sudo] password for robert:
ERROR: Module php7.1 does not exist!

robert@FishMyth:~$ sudo a2dismod php7.0
Module php7.0 already disabled

There is still a minor problem which I am sure will be sorted soon.....
https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2770