Mailing List Archive

HDHomeRun discover not working
Hi

We've been without DVB-T for about a year and half due to house re-build,
just got the aerial installed again and have found that a couple of things
related to network and dual tuner hdhomerun don't work anymore.

The server has had a lot of Mythbuntu/Ubuntu upgrades in the past 6 or so
years and was updated from fully working (16.04 I think) to 17.10 earlier in
the year.
hdhomerun was previously plugged into a USB ethernet adapter that had a udev
rule for it to always be eth1 and eth1 was also set for a static ip.  With
the new 17.10 network setup the eth1 network works if I plug the USB
ethernet adapter into a network switch but can not be enabled if I plug it
into the hdhomerun (also tried using cross over cables just in case but
still no joy).
So, I thought for the moment I'll just put the hdhomerun on the main network
and use it there for now, unfortunately it doesn't auto discover when there,
either on a basic POE switch nor on our ADSL modem/router/switch.
The hdhomerun is working, I can access it via webpage with IP address and
can use hdhomerun_config if I specify IP address.  It'll also auto discover
if I fire up an old VM on my server and attempt auto discovery from the VM.
No iptables firewall settings are in place.
The main eth0 network adapter use to have a couple of IP addresses
associated with it, I've simplified this down to one address with a standard
255.255.255.0 mask

I may look at setting a fixed DHCP address for the hdhomerun and specifying
the IP address in mythbuntu but I read somewhere that this may be an issue
when using more than 1 tuner.

Anyone out there have any thoughts on what else I can look into to get the
auto discovery working again?

Cheers
Mark

Re: HDHomeRun discover not working [ In reply to ]
So you had it on a dedicated local LAN segment that was isolated between
the HDH and the Mythserver.

Now you've put the HDH on the main LAN and accessing it directly from
other clients, but Mythtv can't find it?

Sounds like you need to give the HDH a dedicated IP address, either on the
device or by doign a DHCP reservation in your router. Either is fine, as
long as it means that your HDH is always at the same IP addresses.

Auto-anything is a bit of a crock when it comes to servers/services
accessed remotely.

Note it might have been using IPv6 addressing too - hard to know.

THEN its time to start exploring the mythtv-setup interface for the old IP
and then change it.

OR you could be sneaky and do a replace directly in the mythconverg
database using mysql.... That at least would find other occurances of the
old IP address.

And congrats on the house rebuild - that's truly terrifying.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: HDHomeRun discover not working [ In reply to ]
> So you had it on a dedicated local LAN segment that was isolated between
> the HDH and the Mythserver.
Yes, it was isolated so that only Mythserver & HDHomeRun was on it and the
subnet was set so that hdhomerun auto set it's own IP address (169...
something range I think, whatever SiliconDust specified)

> Now you've put the HDH on the main LAN and accessing it directly from
> other clients, but Mythtv can't find it?
Yet, it's now on the same LAN as the MythTV clients. A VM running on the
Myth server can auto discover it, haven't tried from any other client as
not much else up and running yet and the VM test showed that the unit was
working.

> Sounds like you need to give the HDH a dedicated IP address, either on the
> device or by doign a DHCP reservation in your router. Either is fine, as
> long as it means that your HDH is always at the same IP addresses.

Along with wiresharking that's what I was looking at doing next if I
couldn't get discovery to work but read that there is (or was at some
point) an issue if attempting to use multiple tuners

> Note it might have been using IPv6 addressing too - hard to know.
Pretty sure it was all IPv4 before, access at present is via IPv4 it just
seems as though it's the UDP discovery that's a problem and since it works
on another machine it all points to something different on the Ubuntu
17.10 server.

> And congrats on the house rebuild - that's truly terrifying.
Yes it was major, glad to have it (or at least the bulk of it) behind us.

Re: HDHomeRun discover not working [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 13:24:57 +1200, you wrote:

>> So you had it on a dedicated local LAN segment that was isolated between
>> the HDH and the Mythserver.
>Yes, it was isolated so that only Mythserver & HDHomeRun was on it and the
>subnet was set so that hdhomerun auto set it's own IP address (169...
>something range I think, whatever SiliconDust specified)

Any idea why your udev rule is not still working? On my test 17.10
partition, my udev rules for multiple Ethernet cards are still working
fine, but they are PCI cards. This is what I use:

root@lith:/etc/udev/rules.d# cat 20-network.rules
# Asus P5K-E motherboard
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="00:1f:c6:24:64:ce",
NAME="eth0"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="00:07:e9:11:c5:95",
NAME="eth1"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="00:1b:21:25:13:96",
NAME="eth2"

Those rules based on MAC address have been working for several
versions of Ubuntu now.

>> Now you've put the HDH on the main LAN and accessing it directly from
>> other clients, but Mythtv can't find it?
>Yet, it's now on the same LAN as the MythTV clients. A VM running on the
>Myth server can auto discover it, haven't tried from any other client as
>not much else up and running yet and the VM test showed that the unit was
>working.
>

>> Sounds like you need to give the HDH a dedicated IP address, either on the
>> device or by doign a DHCP reservation in your router. Either is fine, as
>> long as it means that your HDH is always at the same IP addresses.
>>
>Along with wiresharking that's what I was looking at doing next if I
>couldn't get discovery to work but read that there is (or was at some
>point) an issue if attempting to use multiple tuners

If you are using multiple tuners of the same type, then it does not
matter if they swap addresses at boot, as they will work equally well.
But autodiscovery is always going to be a potential problem - better
to assign fixed IP addresses in your router's DHCP setup. I do that
for all my devices anyway, as knowing which one is which really
simplifies working out what is going on when using Wireshark. I also
have my own DNS server, which has all the fixed IP addresses listed
for reverse DNS lookup, so I can get Wireshark to provide the correct
names for each IP address.

Re: HDHomeRun discover not working [ In reply to ]
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 13:24:57 +1200, you wrote:
>
>>> So you had it on a dedicated local LAN segment that was isolated
>>> between
>>> the HDH and the Mythserver.
>>Yes, it was isolated so that only Mythserver & HDHomeRun was on it and
>> the
>>subnet was set so that hdhomerun auto set it's own IP address (169...
>>something range I think, whatever SiliconDust specified)
>
> Any idea why your udev rule is not still working? On my test 17.10
> partition, my udev rules for multiple Ethernet cards are still working
> fine, but they are PCI cards. This is what I use:
>
> root@lith:/etc/udev/rules.d# cat 20-network.rules
> # Asus P5K-E motherboard
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="00:1f:c6:24:64:ce",
> NAME="eth0"
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="00:07:e9:11:c5:95",
> NAME="eth1"
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="00:1b:21:25:13:96",
> NAME="eth2"
>
> Those rules based on MAC address have been working for several
> versions of Ubuntu now.
We have no power at home at the moment (and may not for sometime,
hopefully not days!) so I can't check things. From memory, for the
internal and USB ethernet adapters the UDEV rules are pretty similar to
mine and I don't believe were the problem. The USB adapter recognises as
eth1 fine. When plugging network cable into it and switch/router it comes
up with IP address fine (viewable and changeable in GUI and via ifconfig),
plugging network cable into it and hdhomerun it doesn't work (I think
IFCONFIG showed UP on eth1 status but no IP address details and it isn't
changeable/settable in the gui)

>>> Now you've put the HDH on the main LAN and accessing it directly from
>>> other clients, but Mythtv can't find it?
>>Yet, it's now on the same LAN as the MythTV clients. A VM running on the
>>Myth server can auto discover it, haven't tried from any other client as
>>not much else up and running yet and the VM test showed that the unit was
>>working.
>>

>>> Sounds like you need to give the HDH a dedicated IP address, either on
>>> the
>>> device or by doign a DHCP reservation in your router. Either is fine,
>>> as
>>> long as it means that your HDH is always at the same IP addresses.
>>>
>>Along with wiresharking that's what I was looking at doing next if I
>>couldn't get discovery to work but read that there is (or was at some
>>point) an issue if attempting to use multiple tuners
>
> If you are using multiple tuners of the same type, then it does not
> matter if they swap addresses at boot, as they will work equally well.
> But autodiscovery is always going to be a potential problem - better
> to assign fixed IP addresses in your router's DHCP setup. I do that
> for all my devices anyway, as knowing which one is which really
> simplifies working out what is going on when using Wireshark. I also
> have my own DNS server, which has all the fixed IP addresses listed
> for reverse DNS lookup, so I can get Wireshark to provide the correct
> names for each IP address.

Yes, will certainly fix the IP address via DHCP if it stays on the main
LAN regardless of whether or not I get auto discovery working or not (also
only the one hdhomerun at present so it's easy to know what's what). The
issue with accessing via IP instead of device ID that I read about in
passing was something like a lock up or failure when accessing tuner via
IP and another tuner on the device was closed. If others here have MythTV
backend setup configured with the hdhomerun's IP address and not device ID
it sounds like it's not going to be a problem.

Re: HDHomeRun discover not working [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:41:28 +1200, you wrote:

>>>Yes, it was isolated so that only Mythserver & HDHomeRun was on it and
>>> the
>>>subnet was set so that hdhomerun auto set it's own IP address (169...
>>>something range I think, whatever SiliconDust specified)
>>
>> Any idea why your udev rule is not still working? On my test 17.10
>> partition, my udev rules for multiple Ethernet cards are still working
>> fine, but they are PCI cards. This is what I use:
>>
>> root@lith:/etc/udev/rules.d# cat 20-network.rules
>> # Asus P5K-E motherboard
>> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="00:1f:c6:24:64:ce",
>> NAME="eth0"
>> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="00:07:e9:11:c5:95",
>> NAME="eth1"
>> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="00:1b:21:25:13:96",
>> NAME="eth2"
>>
>> Those rules based on MAC address have been working for several
>> versions of Ubuntu now.
>We have no power at home at the moment (and may not for sometime,
>hopefully not days!) so I can't check things. From memory, for the
>internal and USB ethernet adapters the UDEV rules are pretty similar to
>mine and I don't believe were the problem. The USB adapter recognises as
>eth1 fine. When plugging network cable into it and switch/router it comes
>up with IP address fine (viewable and changeable in GUI and via ifconfig),
>plugging network cable into it and hdhomerun it doesn't work (I think
>IFCONFIG showed UP on eth1 status but no IP address details and it isn't
>changeable/settable in the gui)

A Network Manager problem then. It is still flaky after years of
being around. The command line should be able to solve that problem
though - put the settings for eth1 in /etc/network/interfaces. These
days, Network Manager does normally see that you are manually managing
an interface and lets you do that. But on my main MythTV box, which
is a DNS server as well, I actually uninstalled Network Manager and do
everything manually. But I did that a long time ago when Network
Manager was really terrible. Now it is merely bad.

If you do use eth1 again, you can then run dhcpd on the MythTV box and
let it manage IP addresses on eth1 only. But there is a fair learning
curve to dhcpd.

Re: HDHomeRun discover not working [ In reply to ]
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:41:28 +1200, you wrote:

<snipped>

>>> Those rules based on MAC address have been working for several
>>> versions of Ubuntu now.
>>We have no power at home at the moment (and may not for sometime,
>>hopefully not days!) so I can't check things. From memory, for the
>>internal and USB ethernet adapters the UDEV rules are pretty similar to
>>mine and I don't believe were the problem. The USB adapter recognises as
>>eth1 fine. When plugging network cable into it and switch/router it
>> comes
>>up with IP address fine (viewable and changeable in GUI and via
>> ifconfig),
>>plugging network cable into it and hdhomerun it doesn't work (I think
>>IFCONFIG showed UP on eth1 status but no IP address details and it isn't
>>changeable/settable in the gui)
>
> A Network Manager problem then. It is still flaky after years of
> being around. The command line should be able to solve that problem
> though - put the settings for eth1 in /etc/network/interfaces. These
> days, Network Manager does normally see that you are manually managing
> an interface and lets you do that. But on my main MythTV box, which
> is a DNS server as well, I actually uninstalled Network Manager and do
> everything manually. But I did that a long time ago when Network
> Manager was really terrible. Now it is merely bad.
>
> If you do use eth1 again, you can then run dhcpd on the MythTV box and
> let it manage IP addresses on eth1 only. But there is a fair learning
> curve to dhcpd.

It's always surprised me how bad Network Manager is for those with static
IP addresses, I tried to get rid of it a while back but unfortunately the
server is also my main workstation and I discovered Network Manager was
really tied into Gnome and several apps I used and they wouldn't work
without it :-(

It would be good to solve both sets of problems and get hdhomerun
working/connecting/fully visible when connected on either interface -
probably given the time I have available as soon as it's working well
enough on one that'll probably be it.

<snipped>

Cheers
Mark

Re: HDHomeRun discover not working [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2018-04-11 at 15:41 +1200, Mark Kendall wrote:

> [...]
> (also
> only the one hdhomerun at present so it's easy to know what's
> what). The
> issue with accessing via IP instead of device ID that I read about in
> passing was something like a lock up or failure when accessing tuner
> via
> IP and another tuner on the device was closed. If others here have
> MythTV
> backend setup configured with the hdhomerun's IP address and not
> device ID
> it sounds like it's not going to be a problem.

> > > Pretty sure it was all IPv4 before, access at present is via IPv4
> > > it just
> > > seems as though it's the UDP discovery that's a problem and since
> > > it
> > > works
> > > on another machine it all points to something different on the

I couldn't solve the problem of the hdhomerun no longer working on the
usb lan adapter - it appears to no longer be getting a network link
when plugged into it (or the spare identical usb adapter). The usb
adapter works when the network cable is plugged into a switch.

Auto discovery is however now working after I added a manual DHCP
reservation for the hdhomerun and expanded the routers subnet mask to
255.255.0.0. I haven't checked if both or just one of these did the
trick.