Mailing List Archive

Upgrade to 29 - is it worth the effort
I have Mythbuntu 16.04 running fine (with 0.28)

Is it worth the pain to upgrade to version 29?

Re: Upgrade to 29 - is it worth the effort [ In reply to ]
On 25 Sep 2017 3:18 pm, "Robert Fisher" <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:

I have Mythbuntu 16.04 running fine (with 0.28)

Is it worth the pain to upgrade to version 29?

Not painful for me at all in Arch Linux:

1. sudo pacman -Syu
2. run mythtv-setup
3. Reboot
Re: Upgrade to 29 - is it worth the effort [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 15:18:15 +1300, you wrote:

>I have Mythbuntu 16.04 running fine (with 0.28)
>
>Is it worth the pain to upgrade to version 29?

I had no pain at all this time - the upgrade was very straightforward.
But I have only upgraded my test PC so far - I have to wait until my
mother gets out of hospital as she is using 0.28 on my laptop there
and I need to stay compatible.

Re: Upgrade to 29 - is it worth the effort [ In reply to ]
I found this in another mailing list archive and wondered if it is what
this list recommends:-

Backup the database manually and copy it to somewhere safe (this is
just for safety) see
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.29
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

then reboot the machine

repeat for any slave backends and frontends
Re: Upgrade to 29 - is it worth the effort [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 1 Nov 2017 13:25:23 +1300, you wrote:

>I found this in another mailing list archive and wondered if it is what
>this list recommends:-
>
>Backup the database manually and copy it to somewhere safe (this is
>just for safety) see
>https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
>
>sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.29
>sudo apt update
>sudo apt dist-upgrade
>
>then reboot the machine
>
>repeat for any slave backends and frontends

Yes, that is about all that is needed. After the upgrade, you might
like to visit the /etc/apt/sources.d directory and delete the old
0.28-fixes PPA files.

Re: Upgrade to 29 - is it worth the effort [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 01 Nov 2017 13:32:10 +1300, you wrote:

>On Wed, 1 Nov 2017 13:25:23 +1300, you wrote:
>
>>I found this in another mailing list archive and wondered if it is what
>>this list recommends:-
>>
>>Backup the database manually and copy it to somewhere safe (this is
>>just for safety) see
>>https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
>>
>>sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.29
>>sudo apt update
>>sudo apt dist-upgrade
>>
>>then reboot the machine
>>
>>repeat for any slave backends and frontends
>
>Yes, that is about all that is needed. After the upgrade, you might
>like to visit the /etc/apt/sources.d directory and delete the old
>0.28-fixes PPA files.

Oops, typo - the directory is /etc/apt/sources.list.d

Re: Upgrade to 29 - is it worth the effort [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 2:30 PM, Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Nov 2017 13:32:10 +1300, you wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 1 Nov 2017 13:25:23 +1300, you wrote:
> >
> >>I found this in another mailing list archive and wondered if it is what
> >>this list recommends:-
> >>
> >>Backup the database manually and copy it to somewhere safe (this is
> >>just for safety) see
> >>https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
> >>
> >>sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.29
> >>sudo apt update
> >>sudo apt dist-upgrade
> >>
> >>then reboot the machine
> >>
> >>repeat for any slave backends and frontends
> >
> >Yes, that is about all that is needed. After the upgrade, you might
> >like to visit the /etc/apt/sources.d directory and delete the old
> >0.28-fixes PPA files.
>
> Oops, typo - the directory is /etc/apt/sources.list.d

The "correct" way would be

sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:mythbuntu/0.28