Mailing List Archive

Re: mythtvnz Digest, Vol 114, Issue 3
> 2. I am trying to decide what device to use for a Frontend. Wade has
> shown me his use of a MacMini, which is very elegant and powerful.
> However, I have also read of people using a Raspberry Pi, and note that the
> following pack with wireless keyboard is available very economically at PB
> Tech:
>
> https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/SEVRBP0107/Raspberry-
> Pi-3-Model-B-Official-Starter-Black-Kit
>

> Would anyone with experience with Raspberry Pi as a frontend
> be able to advise me about the pros and cons. Any other suggestions
> of options for a frontend would also be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I have been running a Raspberry PI 3 Model B for quite a while, (built in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, Quadcore Processor) haven't had any issues with it decoding 1080p channels, seems to me more than enough grunt, and as there are no fans, it is silent.
The Raspberry PI also has support for CEC, which allows the TV's remote control to operate the app interface via the 4 way control buttons, OK and Return/Guide/etc, and it all works out of the box...

I don't run the Mythfrontend, instead use an install of the Kodi media player, with the LiveTV plugin for MythTV (MythTV PVR Client), to allow live TV, scheduling and playback from the backend PC.
Mostly use the Web interface for setting and adjusting recording schedules, although you can schedule from the TV too.

There are different distributions of Kodi, the one I am currently using is LibreELEC. Originally, I had been using XBian, but the latest update to 17.1 broke playback for some recordings, so have since moved LibreELEC, and it is working without a problem.

There are also builds available for both the mythtv backend and frontend for raspberry pi and the Raspbain OS, I have played with the backend on the raspberry pi, and can say that it does work, but haven't had time to play with the frontend yet.

Craig