Mailing List Archive

Further advice on set-up
Dear All,

Having now progressed some distance down the path of my MythTV set-up, I
have reached a couple of impasses, and would appreciate some further advice.

1. I have successfully "reconfigured" an old computer, keeping the
original 500GB hard drive, but installing new motherboard, CPU, SSD and 3TB
HD. I have downloaded Ubuntu, now booting from the SSD, and have
successfully partitioned the hard drives. Following the instructions on the
MythTV wiki, I have downloaded the "MythTV Backend Master" package, since I
wish to use this computer as a separate backend, and this process seemed to
complete without any problems. However, when I attempt to follow the next
instructions for "Configuring MythTV" and "MythTV backend setup" (via either
the terminal or the Display Manager) the process fails. The instructions
say that I will be prompted for Country and Language, but this does not
happen, and I cannot see how to proceed further.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to advance my situation here?

2. I am trying to decide what device to use for a Frontend. Wade has
shown me his use of a MacMini, which is very elegant and powerful. However,
I have also read of people using a Raspberry Pi, and note that the following
pack with wireless keyboard is available very economically at PB Tech:

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/SEVRBP0107/Raspberry-Pi-3-Model-B-Official-
Starter-Black-Kit

Would anyone with experience with Raspberry Pi as a frontend be able
to advise me about the pros and cons. Any other suggestions of options for
a frontend would also be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Peter
Re: Further advice on set-up [ In reply to ]
With regard to your second question, a pi may not have the graphical grunt
to output 1080p from a broadcast source which is interleaved e.g. 720i,
1080i.

For TV broadcasts, processing determines picture quality - it's not a ready
made hidef video file as it were.

I use and recommend nvidia cards capable of vdpau, feature set c or d,
which allows the highest quality of processing in mythtv. My Intel NUC,
with built in graphics is also OK, but write as sharp. Here's where the pi
may or may not be adequate - will pay to do some research on this
specifically.

Re: Further advice on set-up [ In reply to ]
On 23/04/17 11:34, Peter Charlesworth wrote:

> 1. I have successfully ?reconfigured? an old computer, keeping the
> original 500GB hard drive, but installing new motherboard, CPU,
> SSD and 3TB HD. I have downloaded Ubuntu, now booting from the
> SSD, and have successfully partitioned the hard drives. Following
> the instructions on the MythTV wiki, I have downloaded the ?MythTV
> Backend Master? package, since I wish to use this computer as a
> separate backend, and this process seemed to complete without any
> problems. However, when I attempt to follow the next instructions
> for ?Configuring MythTV? and ?MythTV backend setup? (via either
> the terminal or the Display Manager) the process fails. The
> instructions say that I will be prompted for Country and Language,
> but this does not happen, and I cannot see how to proceed further.
>
> Can anyone suggest what I can do to advance my situation here?

So you want a slave backend to hold more recordings? I'd just move all
the disk into your main backend and keep it simple.

If you want a second backend for doing additional recordings then I've
never done that. However it should be possible.

> 2. I am trying to decide what device to use for a Frontend. Wade has
> shown me his use of a MacMini, which is very elegant and
> powerful. However, I have also read of people using a Raspberry
> Pi, and note that the following pack with wireless keyboard is
> available very economically at PB Tech:
>
> https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/SEVRBP0107/Raspberry-Pi-3-Model-B-Official-Starter-Black-Kit
>

> Would anyone with experience with Raspberry Pi as a frontend
> be able to advise me about the pros and cons. Any other suggestions
> of options for a frontend would also be greatly appreciated.

No, but I tried an HP thin client running android and the app support
wasn't there. I ended up with a pre-used Acer Revo (a quad core atom
with Nvidia Ion chipset) which has done sterling service for the past
~4 years. Only downside is it has a fan and collects dust, and I have
to leave it on because the household won't turn on the monitor and then
wait for the PC to boot.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/
Re: Further advice on set-up [ In reply to ]
We use ex-factory lease Dell Optiplex machines with graphics cards.
Under $100 off TradeMe.

They're quiet & just do the job, can't be seen behind the TV either!!
PC boom-box speakers / sub from the 'Puter for the sound. (We have a
lead to the stereo, but it doesn't get used much any more - the PC
speaker system is plenty loud enough for the kids!!

We use little right angle drawer-brackets from Bunnings brutally screwed
through the PC case with Tek screws to hold the PC in place on the TV
(using the TV's factory wall-mount points).

Noel

Re: Further advice on set-up [ In reply to ]
Thanks for your comments. Perhaps I have selected the wrong package? The
only option that didn't have both Backend and Frontend together was the
Backend Master, so I assumed that this is the one I needed, because I want
to run separate backend and frontend devices.

Re: Further advice on set-up [ In reply to ]
On 23 April 2017 at 11:34, Peter Charlesworth <peter@charlesworth.nz> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Having now progressed some distance down the path of my MythTV set-up, I
> have reached a couple of impasses, and would appreciate some further advice.
>

> 1. I have successfully “reconfigured” an old computer, keeping the
> original 500GB hard drive, but installing new motherboard, CPU, SSD and 3TB
> HD. I have downloaded Ubuntu, now booting from the SSD, and have
> successfully partitioned the hard drives. Following the instructions on the
> MythTV wiki, I have downloaded the “MythTV Backend Master” package, since I
> wish to use this computer as a separate backend, and this process seemed to
> complete without any problems. However, when I attempt to follow the next
> instructions for “Configuring MythTV” and “MythTV backend setup” (via
> either the terminal or the Display Manager) the process fails. The
> instructions say that I will be prompted for Country and Language, but this
> does not happen, and I cannot see how to proceed further.
>
> Can anyone suggest what I can do to advance my situation here?

I suggest that for a "newbie" it might be a good idea to try Mythbuntu. It
is no longer under development but the OS (Ubuntu) and the core application
(MythTV) still is. You install Mythbuntu and choose your options. I believe
that there are many people on this list who use it and would be happy to
help.

It might also be better for you to give us a better description of "the
process fails" - what did you try to do and what exactly happened?

> 1. Any other suggestions of options for a frontend would also be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> There are many options for you to use as frontends and previous
comments/answers are valid.
A small quiet computer with appropriate hardware and using MythTV frontend
software as the GUI is one option.
I have the following frontends:-

1. An old computer running LibreELEC (Just enough OS for Kodi) in my
garage/gym.
2. A Mi Box with Kodi for the patio or spa pool.
3. A Nexus Player with Kodi in the lounge.
4. An Intel NUC running LibreELEC in the living room
5. A FireTV with Kodi in my bedroom
6. My PC with LinuxMint and MythTV
7. And I have even used Kodi on my phone (There is an Android MythTV app
but I prefer Kodi).

--
Robert Fisher
Re: Further advice on set-up [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 at 09:20 Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:

> On 23 April 2017 at 11:34, Peter Charlesworth <peter@charlesworth.nz>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Having now progressed some distance down the path of my MythTV set-up, I
>> have reached a couple of impasses, and would appreciate some further advice.
>>

>> 1. I have successfully “reconfigured” an old computer, keeping the
>> original 500GB hard drive, but installing new motherboard, CPU, SSD and 3TB
>> HD. I have downloaded Ubuntu, now booting from the SSD, and have
>> successfully partitioned the hard drives. Following the instructions on the
>> MythTV wiki, I have downloaded the “MythTV Backend Master” package, since I
>> wish to use this computer as a separate backend, and this process seemed to
>> complete without any problems. However, when I attempt to follow the next
>> instructions for “Configuring MythTV” and “MythTV backend setup” (via
>> either the terminal or the Display Manager) the process fails. The
>> instructions say that I will be prompted for Country and Language, but this
>> does not happen, and I cannot see how to proceed further.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest what I can do to advance my situation here?
>>

> I suggest that for a "newbie" it might be a good idea to try Mythbuntu. It
> is no longer under development but the OS (Ubuntu) and the core application
> (MythTV) still is. You install Mythbuntu and choose your options. I believe
> that there are many people on this list who use it and would be happy to
> help.
>
> It might also be better for you to give us a better description of "the
> process fails" - what did you try to do and what exactly happened?
>

>> 1. Any other suggestions of options for a frontend would also be
>> greatly appreciated.
>>
>> There are many options for you to use as frontends and previous
> comments/answers are valid.
> A small quiet computer with appropriate hardware and using MythTV frontend
> software as the GUI is one option.
> I have the following frontends:-
>
> 1. An old computer running LibreELEC (Just enough OS for Kodi) in my
> garage/gym.
> 2. A Mi Box with Kodi for the patio or spa pool.
> 3. A Nexus Player with Kodi in the lounge.
> 4. An Intel NUC running LibreELEC in the living room
> 5. A FireTV with Kodi in my bedroom
> 6. My PC with LinuxMint and MythTV
> 7. And I have even used Kodi on my phone (There is an Android MythTV
> app but I prefer Kodi).

For those wondering about using a Raspberry Pi as a frontend, I have been
using a Pi 3B like that suggested from PB Tech using OSMC with Kodi and the
MythTV PVR addin for most of this year. It has adequate horsepower to play
Freeview HD recordings and more than enough for SD content. It can manage
time stretch (what Kodi calls Tempo Up) but skipping around in content
which is timestretched is a bit beyond its capabilities. I might get away
with it if I overclocked and added active cooling, it is very close to
being able to handle it.

I have not tried running the native Myth Frontend on the Pi, the Kodi
experience is significantly better; unfortunately development on
mythfrontend has been fairly stagnant for the last couple years.

And as stated above, Android tablets, phones and any number of other
devices can run Kodi (far more than can run the MythFrontend).

Cheers,
Duncan