I look forward to hearing from you all,

Regards,

Peter
Re: New member [ In reply to ]
Cool - welcome

What hardware do you have available for this project?

You'll want a minimum of
* A TV with HDMI input (vga works in a pinch but is not as pretty)
* A quietish PC with HDMI output that you can leave running 24/7
* Somewhere to leave it running out of the way, that won't get hot or
bumped. Behind the TV is ideal.
* A broadband internet connection
* Some kind of receiver and aerial.....:

My understanding is a HD Homerun receiver and a UHF aerial are great if
you're in urban area with good signal (ie, dvb-t or terrestrial coverage)

Otherwise you need a satellite dish and a couple of dvb-s tuner cards.

And whatever cabling is needed to tie it all together.

Peter Charlesworth wrote:
> I've joined the mailing list today, mainly as a response to the news that
> TiVo will be defunct in NZ after October 2017. I'm devastated about this,
> since we have three TiVo units, and can't speak highly enough of how good
> they have been in practical functionality, as well as an alternative to
> the offerings of Sky TV, to which I have a philosophical aversion.
>
> I'm a technically capable person and I understand electrons, but I have
> minimal practical experience at "circuit-board level", so the initial
> onslaught of unfamiliar terms and concepts I have encountered in reading
> the
> MythTV pages today have been somewhat mind boggling. However, I'm hoping
> that with the guidance of New Zealand experts in the MythTV field, and the
> general information in the extensive resources of the main website, I may
> in time be able to learn enough to assemble a good MythTV set-up of my
> own.
> It certainly seems to be the best prospect that I can find to replace the
> features of TiVo, and probably exceed them.
>

> I look forward to hearing from you all,
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter

Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: New member [ In reply to ]
On 02/03/17 15:33, Peter Charlesworth wrote:
> unfamiliar terms and concepts I have encountered in reading the MythTV
> pages today have been somewhat mind boggling.
I guess that many on this list started with boggled minds but if you ask
sensible questions you will get sensible answers. Do not be afraid to
admit that you do not understand an answer.

See https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV-HOWTO

This site is created by a local (NZer) and I found it quite helpful:-
http://shoelace.altervista.org/index-2.php#Installation