Mailing List Archive

Mythbuntu to cease development
I'm curious as to what OS's list members are using other than Mythbuntu.

Anyone using LinHES?

Re: Mythbuntu to cease development [ In reply to ]
On 7 Nov 2016 12:02, "Paul" <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm curious as to what OS's list members are using other than Mythbuntu.
>
> Anyone using LinHES?

Arch Linux.
Re: Mythbuntu to cease development [ In reply to ]
Where did you get this info from?

On 7 November 2016 at 12:02, Paul <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm curious as to what OS's list members are using other than Mythbuntu.
>
> Anyone using LinHES?

Robert Fisher
Re: Mythbuntu to cease development [ In reply to ]
Re: Mythbuntu to cease development [ In reply to ]
On 07/11/16 12:09, Robert Fisher wrote:
> Where did you get this info from?
>
> On 7 November 2016 at 12:02, Paul <paulgir@gmail.com
> <mailto:paulgir@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I'm curious as to what OS's list members are using other than
> Mythbuntu.
>
> Anyone using LinHES?

> Robert Fisher

Full Circle:
http://fullcirclemagazine.org/2016/11/06/official-ubuntu-flavor-mythbuntu-linux-is-dead-what-about-my-tv-shows/
Re: Mythbuntu to cease development [ In reply to ]
Ubuntu

Re: Mythbuntu to cease development [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 12:02:25 +1300
Paul <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm curious as to what OS's list members are using other than Mythbuntu.
> Anyone using LinHES?

Never heard of it. :)
I use Trisquel, an Ubuntu derivative.

Re: Mythbuntu to cease development [ In reply to ]
On 07/11/16 12:02, Paul wrote:
> I'm curious as to what OS's list members are using other than Mythbuntu.
>
> Anyone using LinHES?

Xubuntu

Re: Mythbuntu to cease development [ In reply to ]
We've been using Linux mint, since 14.04
Re: Mythbuntu to cease development [ In reply to ]
On 2016-11-07 12:02, Paul wrote:
> I'm curious as to what OS's list members are using other than
> Mythbuntu.
>
> Anyone using LinHES?

Fedora for the backend, LibreELEC for the frontend.

Re: Mythbuntu to cease development [ In reply to ]
Come on its not the end of the packages we know and love:

"For users wanting to install new installations, there will no longer be an
ISO, the mythbuntu-desktop package, nor the Mythbuntu-Control-Centre. We
recommend installing a slim distro (perhaps Xubuntu <https://xubuntu.org>),
add the Mythbuntu Repos, and install and configure MythTV from there.

*For users looking for up to date versions of MythTV, we will continue to
provide these updates through our PPA*."

Shame to see the end of MCC, but its all doable without that.

LinHES - slow to be updated.

The best part of mythbuntu has always been the up to date packages, and
that won't stop.
Re: Mythbuntu to cease development [ In reply to ]
On 07/11/16 12:02, Paul wrote:
> I'm curious as to what OS's list members are using other than Mythbuntu.
>
> Anyone using LinHES?

Pure vanilla original Debian. Since 1998 on one host, with no
reinstalls since then.

The only reason I've reinstalled other machines is to go from 32 to 64 bit.

Why stuff about with what works ?

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/
Re: Mythbuntu to cease development [ In reply to ]
On 07/11/16 20:21, criggie wrote:
> On 07/11/16 12:02, Paul wrote:
>> I'm curious as to what OS's list members are using other than Mythbuntu.
>>
>> Anyone using LinHES?
>

> Pure vanilla original Debian. Since 1998 on one host, with no
> reinstalls since then.
>
> The only reason I've reinstalled other machines is to go from 32 to 64
> bit.
>
> Why stuff about with what works ?
>

> --
> Criggie
>
> http://criggie.org.nz/

Judging from the replies,Mythbuntu users are a minority.
Is the Mythtv install process onto a bare OS as involved as it seems to
be implied?Or do you just install BE/FE packages and the set up is
straight forward?Do the various scripts such as Mythwelcome,DBbackup etc
have to be installed individually?
Re: Mythbuntu to cease development [ In reply to ]
While MythBuntu provides a complete system on one iso and includes the
Mythbuntu-Control-Centre it is not hard to install MythTV on other distros.

There are good guides at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV-HOWTO
and locally at http://shoelace.altervista.org/

I have found the help on this mailing list great as well.
There are even people who can spend time at your place to help. If you have
all of the hardware it can take very little time to get a working system.
Re: Mythbuntu to cease development [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 07:20:15 +1300
Paul <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/11/16 20:21, criggie wrote:
> > On 07/11/16 12:02, Paul wrote:
> >> I'm curious as to what OS's list members are using other than Mythbuntu.
> >>
> >> Anyone using LinHES?
> >
> Judging from the replies,Mythbuntu users are a minority.
> Is the Mythtv install process onto a bare OS as involved as it seems to
> be implied?Or do you just install BE/FE packages and the set up is
> straight forward?Do the various scripts such as Mythwelcome,DBbackup etc
> have to be installed individually?

On Debian-derived systems, just installing the package 'mythtv' gets you the works. There are sub-packages if you want just FE or BE. I remember being slightly confused by the database package setup, questions could be better worded - ended up having to reset database passwords. Don't know about the scripts, don't use them.

Re: Mythbuntu to cease development [ In reply to ]
Mythtv is now included repo of Ubuntu. So no need for any PPA etc

Re: Mythbuntu to cease development [ In reply to ]

Re: Mythbuntu to cease development [ In reply to ]
On 08/11/16 10:00, Robert Fisher wrote:
> While MythBuntu provides a complete system on one iso and includes the
> Mythbuntu-Control-Centre it is not hard to install MythTV on other
> distros.
>
> There are good guides at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV-HOWTO
> and locally at http://shoelace.altervista.org/
>
> I have found the help on this mailing list great as well.
> There are even people who can spend time at your place to help. If you
> have all of the hardware it can take very little time to get a working
> system.

That shoelace site is very good.
Re: Mythbuntu to cease development [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 11:17:15 +1300, you wrote:

>On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 07:20:15 +1300
>Paul <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Judging from the replies,Mythbuntu users are a minority.
>> Is the Mythtv install process onto a bare OS as involved as it seems to
>> be implied?Or do you just install BE/FE packages and the set up is
>> straight forward?Do the various scripts such as Mythwelcome,DBbackup etc
>> have to be installed individually?
>
>On Debian-derived systems, just installing the package 'mythtv' gets you the works. There are sub-packages if you want just FE or BE. I remember being slightly confused by the database package setup, questions could be better worded - ended up having to reset database passwords. Don't know about the scripts, don't use them.

If you do not have the database optimise and backup scripts installed,
you are living very dangerously. Unless the optimise script is run
regularly, database corruption usually creeps in somehow, and
eventually builds up to the point where one or more database tables
crash. You can then lose the entire database. So it really is a good
idea to be running /etc/cron.daily/optimize_mythdb.

And having a backup of your database also can save you from all sorts
of disasters, especially if you have your database crash. Mythbuntu
installs /etc/cron.weekly/mythtv-database to do that, and I leave that
one in place but alter it to be backing up to a non-system local hard
drive. But I also run /etc/cron.daily/mythtv-database which backs up
over my network to a directory on my main Windows PC that collects
data to be backed up to an external drive.

Those two scripts are likely to be Mythbuntu maintained, rather than
part of MythTV itself, so keeping them up to date may become a
problem. The actual database backup script called from mythtv-backup
(mythconverg_backup.pl) looks like it is part of MythTV, but without
the mythtv-database script, how many people will be running backups
without having run mysqlcheck on the database first? That results in
backing up corrupt tables.

Re: Mythbuntu to cease development [ In reply to ]
Thanks Paul. Took a long time to do. Seems to get a lot of users from UK
strangely enough! But a fair amount of kiwis though.