Mailing List Archive

Any ideas why I would get more pixelation with Myth 0.25 than NextPVR
Hi,

I have an ongoing saga with my Myth setup and HD HomeRun.

I have two HDHRs and so trying to pin down absolutely that it is not in some
way my MythSvr I did an experiment. I created a quick and dirty NextPVR
install on an old Windows laptop and connected it to one HDHR and left Myth
with the other HDHR.

Myth continued to have pretty consistent and really annoying pixelation
while the NextPVR didn't. Today I swapped the tuners and got the same result
though this time I notice I did get some, though not nearly as much,
pixelation with the NextPVR. The two HDHRs are connected to the same
splitter, I haven't so much as turned them off.

Remembering I have an old 0.25 Myth which had been working fine up till the
last few months and I have spent what I consider a reasonable amount,
approx. $300, on the TV guy.

Any idea why Myth should produce a file that has more pixelation. I have
tested both using VLC on my Windows machine

Cheers
Re: Any ideas why I would get more pixelation with Myth 0.25 than NextPVR [ In reply to ]
On 31/10/16 20:28, ajp@cantabrian.co.nz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an ongoing saga with my Myth setup and HD HomeRun.
>
> I have two HDHRs and so trying to pin down absolutely that it is not
> in some way my MythSvr I did an experiment. I created a quick and
> dirty NextPVR install on an old Windows laptop and connected it to one
> HDHR and left Myth with the other HDHR.
>
> Myth continued to have pretty consistent and really annoying
> pixelation while the NextPVR didn’t. Today I swapped the tuners and
> got the same result though this time I notice I did get some, though
> not nearly as much, pixelation with the NextPVR. The two HDHRs are
> connected to the same splitter, I haven’t so much as turned them off.
>
> Remembering I have an old 0.25 Myth which had been working fine up
> till the last few months and I have spent what I consider a reasonable
> amount, approx. $300, on the TV guy.
>
> Any idea why Myth should produce a file that has more pixelation. I
> have tested both using VLC on my Windows machine
>
> Cheers

For what it's worth,I suspect I am getting more pixellation events after
installing mythbuntu 16.04.I used to only get them in bad weather.But I
seeing them on recordings made while the weather is fine but windy.It
may be a coincidence.It's probably an aerial thing but it's not bad
enough that I be bothered finding the cause.
Re: Any ideas why I would get more pixelation with Myth 0.25 than NextPVR [ In reply to ]
On 1 Nov 2016 10:23, "Paul" <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31/10/16 20:28, ajp@cantabrian.co.nz wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>

>> I have an ongoing saga with my Myth setup and HD HomeRun.
>>

>> I have two HDHRs and so trying to pin down absolutely that it is not in
some way my MythSvr I did an experiment. I created a quick and dirty
NextPVR install on an old Windows laptop and connected it to one HDHR and
left Myth with the other HDHR.

>> Myth continued to have pretty consistent and really annoying pixelation
while the NextPVR didn’t. Today I swapped the tuners and got the same
result though this time I notice I did get some, though not nearly as much,
pixelation with the NextPVR. The two HDHRs are connected to the same
splitter, I haven’t so much as turned them off.

>> Remembering I have an old 0.25 Myth which had been working fine up till
the last few months and I have spent what I consider a reasonable amount,
approx. $300, on the TV guy.

>> Any idea why Myth should produce a file that has more pixelation. I have
tested both using VLC on my Windows machine

>> Cheers
>>

> For what it's worth,I suspect I am getting more pixellation events after
installing mythbuntu 16.04.I used to only get them in bad weather.But I
seeing them on recordings made while the weather is fine but windy.It may
be a coincidence.It's probably an aerial thing but it's not bad enough that
I be bothered finding the cause.

In my case, regular pixellation occurring every 10 minutes or so was a
symptom of missing firmware (Hauppauge HVR2210) in my case a few years ago.

A search of this list should turn up the thread.
Re: Any ideas why I would get more pixelation with Myth 0.25 than NextPVR [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 1 Nov 2016 10:23, "Paul" <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 31/10/16 20:28, ajp@cantabrian.co.nz wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>

> >> I have an ongoing saga with my Myth setup and HD HomeRun.
> >>

> >> I have two HDHRs and so trying to pin down absolutely that it is not in
> some way my MythSvr I did an experiment. I created a quick and dirty
> NextPVR install on an old Windows laptop and connected it to one HDHR and
> left Myth with the other HDHR.
> >>

> >> Myth continued to have pretty consistent and really annoying pixelation
> while the NextPVR didn’t. Today I swapped the tuners and got the same
> result though this time I notice I did get some, though not nearly as much,
> pixelation with the NextPVR. The two HDHRs are connected to the same
> splitter, I haven’t so much as turned them off.
> >>

> >> Remembering I have an old 0.25 Myth which had been working fine up till
> the last few months and I have spent what I consider a reasonable amount,
> approx. $300, on the TV guy.
> >>

> >> Any idea why Myth should produce a file that has more pixelation. I
> have tested both using VLC on my Windows machine
> >>

> >> Cheers
> >>

> > For what it's worth,I suspect I am getting more pixellation events after
> installing mythbuntu 16.04.I used to only get them in bad weather.But I
> seeing them on recordings made while the weather is fine but windy.It may
> be a coincidence.It's probably an aerial thing but it's not bad enough that
> I be bothered finding the cause.

> In my case, regular pixellation occurring every 10 minutes or so was a
> symptom of missing firmware (Hauppauge HVR2210) in my case a few years ago.
>
> A search of this list should turn up the thread.

how is that an issue for the HDHR?
Re: Any ideas why I would get more pixelation with Myth 0.25 than NextPVR [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 20:28:37 +1300, you wrote:

>Hi,
>

>I have an ongoing saga with my Myth setup and HD HomeRun.
>

>I have two HDHRs and so trying to pin down absolutely that it is not in some
>way my MythSvr I did an experiment. I created a quick and dirty NextPVR
>install on an old Windows laptop and connected it to one HDHR and left Myth
>with the other HDHR.
>

>Myth continued to have pretty consistent and really annoying pixelation
>while the NextPVR didn't. Today I swapped the tuners and got the same result
>though this time I notice I did get some, though not nearly as much,
>pixelation with the NextPVR. The two HDHRs are connected to the same
>splitter, I haven't so much as turned them off.
>

>Remembering I have an old 0.25 Myth which had been working fine up till the
>last few months and I have spent what I consider a reasonable amount,
>approx. $300, on the TV guy.
>

>Any idea why Myth should produce a file that has more pixelation. I have
>tested both using VLC on my Windows machine
>

>Cheers

The obvious candidate for causing problems on the new MythTV box but
not on a different Windows box or older MythTV box would be the
network. What Ethernet card does the MythTV box have? Some Linux
Ethernet drivers are not the best, although the one I had problems
with (Realtek 8111E) seems to be improved in the 4.4 kernels.

The first thing I would recommend doing is turning on a higher level
of logging of recordings in mythbackend by adding the "-v record"
option to its command line. In Mythbuntu 16.04, you do that by
creating a /etc/mythtv/additional.args file containing this:

ADDITIONAL_ARGS=-v record

Make the file chown mythtv:mythtv. That causes log messages such as
this to be reported at the end of each recording:

Oct 31 22:34:01 mypvr mythbackend: mythbackend[4711]: I TVRecEvent
tv_rec.cpp:849 (FinishedRecording) TVRec[2]:
FinishedRecording(1001_2016-10-31T08:29:00Z) good
recq:<RecordingQuality overall_score="1"
key="1001_2016-10-31T08:29:00Z" countinuity_error_count="0"
packet_count="18048565" />

and like this if there are any errors that mythbackend detected:

Oct 26 01:54:00 mypvr mythbackend: mythbackend[8727]: I TVRecEvent
tv_rec.cpp:849 (FinishedRecording) TVRec[27]:
FinishedRecording(4092_2016-10-25T11:59:00Z) good
recq:<RecordingQuality overall_score="0.987"
key="4092_2016-10-25T11:59:00Z" countinuity_error_count="93"
packet_count="4122578">#012 <Gap start="2016-10-25T12:20:41Z"
end="2016-10-25T12:20:51Z" duration="10" />#012 <Gap
start="2016-10-25T12:21:36Z" end="2016-10-25T12:21:39Z" duration="3"
/>#012 <Gap start="2016-10-25T12:34:43Z" end="2016-10-25T12:34:46Z"
duration="2" />#012 <Gap start="2016-10-25T12:40:48Z"
end="2016-10-25T12:40:51Z" duration="3" />#012 <Gap
start="2016-10-25T12:41:01Z" end="2016-10-25T12:41:11Z" duration="10"
/>#012</RecordingQuality>

This command will show any recent recordings with errors:

grep "overall_score=\"0" /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log

In my experience the timestamps that mythbackend reports for gaps
correspond exactly to where I notice a short gap in a recording, or a
little pixellation or an audio blip. However, not all pixellation
results in a gap message.

Then I would install Wireshark and set it up to record all the traffic
between the MythTV box and an HDHR tuner. Since I do not have an
HDHR, I can not advise on exactly what capture filters would be
needed, but I think a simple "host <HDHR IP address>" should suffice.
With Wireshark running, do a recording that gets errors, and then
match the error timestamps from mythbackend with the Wireshark
captures to see if there are any network problems at that time.

Doing a capture of all the packets for a full recording will create
quite a big capture file (order of magnitude the same as for the
recording file mythbackend will be writing), so make sure it is
getting stored to a location with enough space and will not cause too
much disk activity that might interfere with the recording process or
database updating.

If your MythTV box has spare slots and you have an Ethernet card you
can put in one, even if it is a PCI card instead of a PCIe one, it
would be worth trying that card instead of the motherboard Ethernet
port for talking to the HDHRs. I believe HDHRs only use 100 Mbit/s
Ethernet, so even an old 100 Mbit/s PCI card would be useful for
testing this, especially if it is one that has known good Linux
drivers, such as most Intel chipsets.

Re: Any ideas why I would get more pixelation with Myth 0.25 than NextPVR [ In reply to ]
> The first thing I would recommend doing is turning on a higher level
> of logging of recordings in mythbackend by adding the "-v record"
> option to its command line. In Mythbuntu 16.04, you do that by
> creating a /etc/mythtv/additional.args file containing this:

That is good advice.

But make sure you have looked at the existing and extensive logs first.
The answer may be there without adding even more logging.

I did not know that logging could be made even more verbose, that is
interesting

Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
worik.stanton@gmail.com 021-1680650, (03) 4821804
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I voted for love

Re: Any ideas why I would get more pixelation with Myth 0.25 than NextPVR [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 08:58:40 +1300, you wrote:

>On 01/11/16 15:06, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> The first thing I would recommend doing is turning on a higher level
>> of logging of recordings in mythbackend by adding the "-v record"
>> option to its command line. In Mythbuntu 16.04, you do that by
>> creating a /etc/mythtv/additional.args file containing this:
>
>That is good advice.
>
>But make sure you have looked at the existing and extensive logs first.
>The answer may be there without adding even more logging.
>
>I did not know that logging could be made even more verbose, that is
>interesting

There are lots of options for more verbose logging in all the MythTV
programs. Use the "-v help" option to find out about them. And the
logging level can also be changed with the "--loglevel" option - it
defaults to "info", but can be increased to "debug" or decreased all
the way to "critical".

You can also use the "--setverbose" and "--setloglevel" options on a
second copy of mythbackend to alter the verbosity and loglevel of the
current running mythbackend.