What should I do, if anything?

--
Robert

Re: Updates for Dummies [ In reply to ]
I backed up and proceeded on Ubuntu 16.04 with the upgrade to 5.7 and
tested mythtv and all was good including the whole mythconverg database
conversion. But can't then day for sure on your mythbuntu.

5.7 came out rather quick and it's a big change from 5.5 and even 5.6 MySQL
versions so do be sure to back-up first super easy with clonezilla.

I can get into the command line mysql and check all tables okay. Running
the mythtv_optimise script also works okay.

So, in short, no issues so far.

Re: Updates for Dummies [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 17:41:11 +1200, you wrote:

>I just ran........
>
>sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
>
>As well as the updates I get a message.....
>
>The following packages have been kept back:
>
>mysql-server-5.7 mysql-server-core-5.7
>
>What should I do, if anything?

apt-get dist-upgrade

Re: Updates for Dummies [ In reply to ]
Safe?

Robert Fisher

Re: Updates for Dummies [ In reply to ]
Hi Robert,

If a new version of a package you have installed has an additional
dependency, then an `apt-get upgrade` won't pull that in. However, a
`apt-get dist-upgrade` turns off some of the guards that prevent new
packages being installed.

As for safety, it's always a good idea to check what apt-get will do
before you hit "y". There is a chance that a new version of a package
might conflict with something you really care about and that conflict
might cause the other package(s) to be removed. A normal upgrade would
refuse to install the newer version, but a dist-upgrade would happily
install the new version and remove the other packages.

Good luck!

On Wed, 2016-09-14 at 21:42 +1200, Robert Fisher wrote:
> Safe?
> Robert Fisher
>
> On 14 Sep 2016 8:25 p.m., "Stephen Worthington" <stephen_agent@jsw.ge
> n.nz> wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 17:41:11 +1200, you wrote:
> >
> > >I just ran........
> > >
> > >sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
> > >
> > >As well as the updates I get a message.....
> > >
> > >The following packages have been kept back:
> > >
> > >mysql-server-5.7 mysql-server-core-5.7
> > >
> > >What should I do, if anything?
> >
> > apt-get dist-upgrade

Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
andrew@etc.gen.nz             | linux.conf.au 2017, Hobart, AU
  New Zealand's only Cloud:   |   The Future of Open Source
https://catalyst.net.nz/cloud |     http://linux.conf.au

Re: Updates for Dummies [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the replies.
I will wait until someone else tries it before me. My guinea pig nature has
burnt me before.

Rob Fisher

Re: Updates for Dummies [ In reply to ]
On 14/09/16 21:52, Andrew Ruthven wrote:
> Good luck!
I forgot that I had created a test/play Virtual machine.
Tested first on that.
All went well on both machines.