Is it OK to have two backends using one HDHomerun?

--
Robert Fisher
Re: 2 backends with 1 HDHomerun [ In reply to ]
Do you mean like docker. I have used docker a lot and love it for
virtualisation. But it wouldn't be good for accessing /dev I would think
although haven't tried this. Mythtv doesn't own the devices like tuners so
having two backends wouldn't be an issue. Until both try to access at the
same time. I guess the only way to know is to try...

Re: 2 backends with 1 HDHomerun [ In reply to ]
No I was thinking of MythBuntu in Virtualbox.

Rob Fisher

Re: 2 backends with 1 HDHomerun [ In reply to ]
Ah I see. Does virtualbox have access to root devices, like the tuners,
outside? I wouldn't have thought so. But I only use docker to expose
locations now anyway.

As everything in Linux is a file, including devices, then perhaps docker
might be okay but virtualbox maybe not. Let us know how you get on.

Re: 2 backends with 1 HDHomerun [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 17:20:09 +1200, you wrote:

>On 7 Sep 2016 5:15 pm, "skooobie doo" <skooobie@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Do you mean like docker. I have used docker a lot and love it for
>> virtualisation. But it wouldn't be good for accessing /dev I would think
>> although haven't tried this. Mythtv doesn't own the devices like tuners so
>> having two backends wouldn't be an issue. Until both try to access at the
>> same time. I guess the only way to know is to try...
>>
>> On 7/09/2016 09:34, "Robert Fisher" <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
>>
>>> I am thinking about creating a virtual machine backend to test and play
>>> without disrupting my stable main server.
>>> Is it OK to have two backends using one HDHomerun?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Robert Fisher

>No I was thinking of MythBuntu in Virtualbox.
>
>Rob Fisher

With network tuners, VirtualBox should be fine. You should probably
set up the VirtualBox networking to bridge onto the same network the
PC it is running on uses, so VirtualBox can see the network tuners
properly without needing routing tables. You can also use USB tuners
if you have installed the VirtualBox plugin to allow USB passthrough.
To share the use of a tuner, you have to make sure that both things
using the tuner will not try to use it at the same time. In MythTV,
that means making sure that the option to gather EIT EPG is turned off
for that tuner, and also the option to only own the tuner when using
it is turned on. Those options are found in mythtv-setup > Capture
Cards > select the card > Recording Options and for normal tuners are:

Use DVB card for active EIT scan
Open DVB card on demand

respectively. As I do not have any network tuners, I do not know if
those options are there for a network tuner or not.

And, of course, do not schedule recordings to use the same tuner at
the same time.

Re: 2 backends with 1 HDHomerun [ In reply to ]
Hi Robert - did you try this and have any success? I thought I'd do the
same with testing out the SD vs PY vs EIT schedules.

Re: 2 backends with 1 HDHomerun [ In reply to ]
On 9 September 2016 at 07:13, Karl -skooobie <skooobie@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Robert - did you try this and have any success? I thought I'd do the
> same with testing out the SD vs PY vs EIT schedules.

No I haven't tried yet. Maybe this weekend. Depends on how long "The List"
is.
Re: 2 backends with 1 HDHomerun [ In reply to ]
On 09/09/16 09:04, Robert Fisher wrote:

No I haven't tried yet. Maybe this weekend. Depends on how long "The
List" is.
Well I tried it tonight. (MythBuntu 16.04.1 in VirtualBox)
Set up a bridged network connection then installed as normal.
Set up using EIT no problems.

Had Mythweb Fatal Error SQL Error: Expression #3 of SELECT...
<https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2325342>

but instead of applying the fix I found for my main backend installation
I did

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade and all was well.

My first use of this "test" backend was to compare EIT data to Schedules
Direct.

*My Conclusions:*

EIT was slightly easier to set up and does give 7 days of data

Hadley's grabber has more data than EIT

SD has much more data than EIT

I will stick with SD if it becomes permanent.

I will go back to tv_grab_nz-py from http://nice.net.nz/tv_grab_nz-py/
if we lose SD

(and I would offer to donate to Nice.net.nz)

--
Robert