on Ubuntu 16.04 and myth 0.28-2-g15cf421 and the mythtv-status on 0.10.6.

http://www.etc.gen.nz/projects/mythtv/mythtv-status.html

This is a brilliant little program that is quick and handy.
Re: mythtv-status [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 17:23:20 +1200
skooobie doo <skooobie@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone use the mythtv-status command-line program? I use this a lot but
> have noticed it is no longer populating some of the info that should be
> there. Is this the same for those of you who use the program?

Works for me:

$ mythtv-status

MythTV status for localhost
===========================
Status..........: 2016-09-06 21:34:23
Total Disk Space: Total space is 2,047.2 GB, with 1,822.1 GB used (89.0%)

Encoders:
alcatraz (1) - Recording
alcatraz (6) - Recording

Recording Now:
Game Of Thrones (Prime) Ends: 22:45:00
The Hard Stuff With Nigel Latta (TV ONE) Ends: 21:30:00

Scheduled Recordings:

OS is Trisquel Belenos, which is derived I believe from Ubuntu Trusty.
MythTV Version : v0.27-193-g8ee257c
mythtv-status, version 0.10.4.

Austin.

Re: mythtv-status [ In reply to ]
It should also show the tuners as *idle* when not recording. But maybe this
functionality was removed between your version and my slightly newer
version.

Re: mythtv-status [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 06:09:18 +1200
skooobie doo <skooobie@gmail.com> wrote:
> It should also show the tuners as *idle* when not recording. But maybe this
> functionality was removed between your version and my slightly newer
> version.
>
> On 6/09/2016 21:42, "Austin Green" <austin.green@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 17:23:20 +1200
> > skooobie doo <skooobie@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone use the mythtv-status command-line program? I use this a lot but
> > > have noticed it is no longer populating some of the info that should be
> > > there. Is this the same for those of you who use the program?
> >
> > Works for me:
> >
> > $ mythtv-status
> >
> > MythTV status for localhost
> > ===========================
> > Status..........: 2016-09-06 21:34:23
> > Total Disk Space: Total space is 2,047.2 GB, with 1,822.1 GB used
> > (89.0%)
> >
> > Encoders:
> > alcatraz (1) - Recording
> > alcatraz (6) - Recording
> >
> > Recording Now:
> > Game Of Thrones (Prime) Ends: 22:45:00
> > The Hard Stuff With Nigel Latta (TV ONE) Ends: 21:30:00
> >
> > Scheduled Recordings:
> >
> > OS is Trisquel Belenos, which is derived I believe from Ubuntu Trusty.
> > MythTV Version : v0.27-193-g8ee257c
> > mythtv-status, version 0.10.4.
> >
> > Austin.

Mine too shows no encoders at all when no recording is happening; I guess we are supposed to deduce the idle status from that. :)
Austin.

Re: mythtv-status [ In reply to ]
But in the Web notes the screeshot shows the status as idle when not
recording. This would be a quick way of checking whether one or both tuners
have a fault or not without logging into the frontend or backend.

Re: mythtv-status [ In reply to ]
I have found a possible solution in the perl script which runs the data
gathering and print to screen. There is a setting:

$c->{'encoder_skip_idle'} ||= 1;

Where, if I change this to 0, I get the full output including the "idle"
status... see below which now shows all my encoders and their individual
status.

*kh@kh:/$ mythtv-status

*

*MythTV status for localhost

*
*===========================

*
*Status...........: 2016-09-08 15:54:29

*
*Total Disk Space.: Total space is 465.8 GB, with 132.5 GB used (28.4%)

*
*Next Recording In: 4 Hours

*

*Encoders:

*
*kh (9) - Idle

*
*kh (10) - Idle

*
*kh (11) - Idle

*
*kh (12) - Idle

*

*Scheduled Recordings:

*
*2016-09-08 19:55:00 - Tiny House Hunting (ChoiceTV)

*
*2016-09-08 20:30:00 - Seven Year Switch Australia (TV2)

*
*2016-09-08 23:00:00 - Holden Golf World (TV3)

*
*2016-09-09 19:30:00 - The Voice Australia (TV2) *

The script captures not only Idle and Recording events but also Error,
which is rather handy. There is some protocol versions that are introduced
in MythTV which has different information and gathering options changed and
can be viewed here: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Myth_Protocol and
in the latest protocols you can view the following on the encoders:

'^-1$' => "${warning}Error${normal}",
'^0$' => "${safe}Idle${normal}",
'^1$' => "${warning}Watching LiveTV${normal}",
'^2$' => "${warning}Watching Pre-recorded${normal}",
'^3$' => "${warning}Watching DVD${normal}",
'^4$' => "${warning}Watching Blu-ray${normal}",
'^5$' => "${warning}Watching Video${normal}",
'^6$' => "${warning}Watching Recording${normal}",
'^7$' => "${warning}Recording${normal}" },

While I have made the change on my system, it would be better to have this
as a git version change. I will ask the developer before making a git pull
request, just in case.

Karl

Re: mythtv-status [ In reply to ]
So I just emailed with Andrew ( the developer) and he states this: That's
so that the default is to skip idle encoders. To show those you
can use --noencoder-skip-idle on the command line, or if you have a config
file called mythtv-status.yml have a setting like this:

encoder_skip_idle: 0

Which works perfectly. So the perl script wasn't broken just set to not
show idle by default. The command line would be:

$ mythtv-status --noencoder-skip-idle

So I've changed the file back, which was always a hack to show idle. All good!

Re: mythtv-status [ In reply to ]
The --noencoder-skip-idle flag works on mine, but not the mythtv-status.yml file - where should that live? Tried it in my home directory, no effect. Not obvious from the Perl script (I'm not familiar with Perl)
Austin.

On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 16:58:32 +1200

Re: mythtv-status [ In reply to ]
It can go in any of the following locations:

mythtv-status.yml (current directory)
~/mythtv-status.yml
/etc/mythtv-status.yml
/usr/local/etc/mythtv-status.yml
.mythtv-status.yml
~/.mythtv-status.yml
/etc/.mythtv-status.yml
/usr/local/etc/.mythtv-status.yml

Make the file readable with permissions of course.

On a side note I found it easier to make an alias of the command, which
makes launching and adding extra info simple and much faster to execute. To
do this simply edit the ~/.bashrc file or ~/.bash_aliases if you want all
of your aliases in a separate file, then add this line:

alias ms='mythtv-status --noencoder-skip-idle --colour --encoder-details'

You need to restart for bash to know these alias but it will now be
permanent and you can simply enter ms at the prompt. The cool thing with
adding these extra switches, like noencoder-skip-idle and --colour and
--encoder-details is that is looks nicer and provides a nice level of
detail. Here's mine, with my new 'ms' alias...

*kh@kh:~$ msMythTV status for
localhost===========================Status..........: 2016-09-09
02:33:17Total Disk Space: Total space is 465.8 GB, with 137.4 GB used
(29.5%)Encoders:kh (9) - Watching LiveTVkh (10) - Idlekh (11) - Idlekh (12)
- IdleRecording Now:Infomercial (TV ONE, Enc: 9, Chan: 1) Ends:
05:35:00Scheduled Recordings:2016-09-09 19:30:00 - Enc: 9, Chan: 2 - The
Voice Australia (TV2)2016-09-10 13:30:00 - Enc: 9, Chan: 3 - Married At
First Sight USA (TV3)2016-09-10 18:30:00 - Enc: 9, Chan: 10 - David
Attenborough's (PRIME)2016-09-10 19:00:00 - Enc: 11, Chan: 1 - Hyundai
Country Calendar (TV ONE)2016-09-10 19:00:00 - Enc: 9, Chan: 3 - Johnny
English (TV3)*
You can also now add a shortcut on Unity if you use Ubuntu flavour by
adding a *.desktop to /usr/share/Applications and then specifying the
Terminal=True command. But I like just Ctrl-Alt-T and then 'ms'

Cheers, Karl

Re: mythtv-status [ In reply to ]
can you try other config keys, such as colour:0 ? Do you see greens and
reds?

Here's my process:

kh@kh:~$sudo touch ~/mythtv-status.yml
kh@kh:~$sudo chmod 775 mythtv-status.yml
kh@kh:~$echo 'encoder_skip_idle: 0' >> ~/mythtv-status.yml
kh@kh:~$echo 'colour: 1' >> ~/mythtv-status.yml
kh@kh:~$echo 'encoder_details: 0' >> ~/mythtv-status.yml
kh@kh:~$ cat mythtv-status.yml
encoder_skip_idle: 0
colour: 1
encoder-details: 1

Re: mythtv-status [ In reply to ]
Actually after checking I can see the YAML variables being used for colour
and encode_details but not the encoder_skip_idle. When I used the command
line it is okay and all three get used, just not with myth-status.yml. I've
raised this question with Andrew.

Re: mythtv-status [ In reply to ]
So, there is a small bug. Andrew will be releasing a new version in the
next few weeks plus adding some other small fixes along the way. The
workaround if you want to use the YAML file is to search in mythtv-status
for the first occurrence of "encoder_skip_idle" and change the "||" to a
"//"

Re: mythtv-status [ In reply to ]
Hey,

Heh, goes to show what happens when I'm not checking my mailing list
folders. ;)

The change to skip idle encoders was committed in June 2010 (v0.9.5).
The reason was the addition of being able to have multiple streams on
the same encoder. Some users had 12 "encoders" on their systems and
display was getting a bit long. I imagine that number has only
increased.

Cheers,
Andrew

On Fri, 2016-09-09 at 09:31 +1200, Karl -skooobie wrote:
> So, there is a small bug. Andrew will be releasing a new version in
> the next few weeks plus adding some other small fixes along the way.
> The workaround if you want to use the YAML file is to search in
> mythtv-status for the first occurrence of "encoder_skip_idle" and
> change the "||" to a "//"
>
> On 9 September 2016 at 07:11, Karl -skooobie <skooobie@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Actually after checking I can see the YAML variables being used for
> > colour and encode_details but not the encoder_skip_idle. When I
> > used the command line it is okay and all three get used, just not
> > with myth-status.yml. I've raised this question with Andrew.
> >
> > On 9 September 2016 at 03:27, Karl -skooobie <skooobie@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > can you try other config keys, such as colour:0 ? Do you see
> > > greens and reds?
> > >
> > > Here's my process:
> > >
> > > kh@kh:~$sudo touch ~/mythtv-status.yml
> > > kh@kh:~$sudo chmod 775 mythtv-status.yml
> > > kh@kh:~$echo 'encoder_skip_idle: 0' >> ~/mythtv-status.yml
> > > kh@kh:~$echo 'colour: 1' >> ~/mythtv-status.yml
> > > kh@kh:~$echo 'encoder_details: 0' >> ~/mythtv-status.yml
> > > kh@kh:~$ cat mythtv-status.yml
> > > encoder_skip_idle: 0
> > > colour: 1
> > > encoder-details: 1

Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
andrew@etc.gen.nz | linux.conf.au 2016
New Zealand's only Cloud: | LCA By the Bay, Geelong, AU
https://catalyst.net.nz/cloud | http://lca2016.linux.org.au

Re: mythtv-status [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 09 Sep 2016 10:08:07 +1200, you wrote:

>Hey,
>
>Heh, goes to show what happens when I'm not checking my mailing list
>folders. ;)
>
>The change to skip idle encoders was committed in June 2010 (v0.9.5).
>The reason was the addition of being able to have multiple streams on
>the same encoder. Some users had 12 "encoders" on their systems and
>display was getting a bit long. I imagine that number has only
>increased.
>
>Cheers,
>Andrew

You are only too right about that - I have 37 in my list at the
moment, due to 5 multirec tuners per physical tuner.

Re: mythtv-status [ In reply to ]
Thanks for details of the various command line options. They work fine when given that way, but no joy with the ~/mythtv-status.yml file. No matter, I can use an alias as you suggest.
Thanks,
Austin.

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 03:27:46 +1200

Re: mythtv-status [ In reply to ]
No problem. There are lots of others, if you type mythtv-status --help in
the command line you'll see the others...

Re: mythtv-status [ In reply to ]
Have got the mythtv-status.yml file to work now. I had the encoder_details as encoder-details (needs underscores where the command-line options have hyphens) The 'colour' option works too. All good.
Austin.

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 14:44:28 +1200

Re: mythtv-status [ In reply to ]
Excellent. This really is a neat little program. You can add this into a
short cut on your desktop too (create a *.desktop file
in/usr/share/applications) but I like terminal running anyway.