says that it is already recorded.

--
Robert Fisher
Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
On 05/09/16 09:29, Robert Fisher wrote:
Perhaps we should list the "reported bugs" here and report back when
they are fixed?

I have logged a ticket for the problem with several daily shows like One
News, Newshub and Breakfast which do not have changing "episode-num"
data resulting in only one show being recorded and every day after that
the note says that it is already recorded.

Happy to report this this issue seems to have been fixed now.

--
Robert

Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
[I work for Schedules Direct]

I would like to make the metadata for programs that originate in the
United States but are broadcast in NZ better. (The metadata for US
programs typically contains a lot more information than what has been
available in the past.)

I don't know which channels/programs are the most popular in NZ, but I
would like to concentrate on those first.

If there's a "Top 10" for NZ I would appreciate a link. If not, then
the mailing list is fine.

Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
I've been reading these latest emails and was wondering if I am missing
something or missing out in something. I have never used grabbers as I find
the over the air option easy and always up to date. Am I missing something?

Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
On 6 September 2016 at 05:14, skooobie doo <skooobie@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been reading these latest emails and was wondering if I am missing
> something or missing out in something. I have never used grabbers as I find
> the over the air option easy and always up to date. Am I missing something?

Maybe I am missing something too.
I use a grabber because that is what I was told to do.

Can someone "in the know" enlighten us please?
Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
On 06/09/16 02:32, Robert Kulagowski wrote:
> [I work for Schedules Direct]
>
> I would like to make the metadata for programs that originate in the
> United States but are broadcast in NZ better. (The metadata for US
> programs typically contains a lot more information than what has been
> available in the past.)
>
> I don't know which channels/programs are the most popular in NZ, but I
> would like to concentrate on those first.

I expect Demographics to play a big part in determining a NZ wide top 10.

Off the top of my (ancient) head I would say the most popular channels are:
TV1 Prime Choice Tv3 Tv2

My Mythtv Top Ten stats are:

Channel No Recorded Last Recorded
1 TV ONE 8947 September 5 2016
2 PRIME 3036 September 5 2016
3 TV3 2492 September 5 2016
4 TV3 PLUS1 2213 September 5 2016
4 TV2 1629 September 3 2016
6 ChoiceTV 1146 September 5 2016
7 TV2+1 996 August 18 2016
8 FOUR 877 April 20 2016
9 TV ONE plus 1 428 September 5 2016
10 Al Jazeera 348 September 4 2016

> If there's a "Top 10" for NZ I would appreciate a link. If not, then
> the mailing list is fine.

Lastly I want to acknowledge the tremendous improvement I have seen in
the SD data of recent days. Big thanks to you and the team that is
supporting this project.

Regards

Tony Sauri

Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
On 6 September 2016 at 02:32, Robert Kulagowski <rkulagow@gmail.com> wrote:

> If there's a "Top 10" for NZ I would appreciate a link. If not, then
> the mailing list is fine.

This might be helpful Robert....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeview_(New_Zealand)

"The Freeview ordering groups broadcasters by how much they pay for
government owned Kordia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kordia> transmission
services"

Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
On 6 September 2016 at 10:27, Tony Sauri <hoiho.nz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Lastly I want to acknowledge the tremendous improvement I have seen in
> the SD data of recent days. Big thanks to you and the team that is
> supporting this project.

I second that.
Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 5:43 PM, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
> "The Freeview ordering groups broadcasters by how much they pay for
> government owned Kordia transmission services"

But does that correlate to how popular the station is? I want to focus
me efforts on the stations that people care about.

Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
On 6 September 2016 at 11:45, Robert Kulagowski <rkulagow@gmail.com> wrote:

> But does that correlate to how popular the station is? I want to focus
> me efforts on the stations that people care about.

Well it seems to correlate fairly well with what I sent you last night and
with Tony's today. (Four is now Bravo)

I know it would be helpful if others respond too.
Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
> On 6/09/2016, at 11:45 AM, Robert Kulagowski <rkulagow@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> But does that correlate to how popular the station is? I want to focus
> me efforts on the stations that people care about.

This info is little dated (dec 2015) but it comes from the Neilsen TAM system in NZ and should give you a little insight into relative rankings of programs/channels.

http://www.throng.co.nz/2015/12/tv-ratings-25-54-8-december-2015/

http://www.throng.co.nz/tag/ratings/

They stopped publishing at the end of 2015 but the archives are still availabl.

- Wade

Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 7:18 PM, Wade Maxfield <mythtvnz@hotblack.co.nz> wrote:
>> On 6/09/2016, at 11:45 AM, Robert Kulagowski <rkulagow@gmail.com> wrote:
> This info is little dated (dec 2015) but it comes from the Neilsen TAM system in NZ and should give you a little insight into relative rankings of programs/channels.

[I work for Schedules Direct]

Thanks, I will see where the value-add is compared to what's already
in the EPG data.

I don't think that MythTV is taking advantage of the extra data we
have though, including all the various actor / character headshots,
coverart and the like. (Unless the myth metadatagrabber has been
updated lately)

If there are particular programs that "you" are interested in, that
are based out of the US, then let me know and I can pull our data and
"you" can let me know if what we have is better than what's currently
available.

Once US-based programs are dealt with, we can tackle GBR based
programs and see if we can get better metadata than what's available
now.

Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
[I work for Schedules Direct]

Just re-reading my own messages. "You", not accusatory, but more in
the sense of "this is what I care about".

"If only the program information for {program}, which originates in
the U.S. but I watch on {stationID} was less generic / better than
what I have now, that would be great."

If I can get some input on where the data that you're getting from
Schedules Direct seems like it could be better (if it's a U.S.
program), then I can focus my efforts on the programs that people
actually watch. It will help me create a cross-reference table to make
sure that the better metadata is included in the AU/NZ feed. Once I
understand the pattern of what's being provided by the broadcasters
about the episodes they intend to broadcast that will help fill in
those less-than-satisfactory gaps.

If a US-based program ended up with a "APNZ" programID, that means
that the auto-match failed. The more I know about the failures, the
easier it is for me to fix. (If "NZ" or "AU" is in the programID, it
means we had to locally generate instead of pulling the data from the
master database)

Please don't be shy about opening tickets with Schedules Direct. I
have seen multiple mentions of "{foo} is wrong" in this mailing list
that don't end up as a ticket, so it's doesn't become an action item
on our ticket system.

I am happy to discuss things in this forum, but the trouble ticket
system is precisely for some of these issues, like missing stations,
or incorrect names for stations, or who the primary presenter /
newsreader is for a particular program. If it's not a ticket, it
doesn't go back to the AU/NZ office to get figured out, and that means
that our upstream in the antipodes doesn't know that there's an issue.

Believe it or not, a broadcaster may say, "We are going to broadcast
{foo} at time {bar}" and then change their mind, but not inform our
upstream. We would like the data that we provide to be as accurate as
possible, and the sooner that we know that there's an issue, the
quicker we can reduce the turn-around time where we can ask a
broadcaster: You said you were going to show {foo}, but now it's
{bar}? What are you actually going to put on the wire? (And why didn't
you tell us that you changed the schedule?)"

Bob
[Schedules Direct]

Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
On 6 September 2016 at 05:14, skooobie doo <skooobie@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been reading these latest emails and was wondering if I am missing
> something or missing out in something. I have never used grabbers as I find
> the over the air option easy and always up to date. Am I missing something?

Skoobie and I have traded screenshots and he now realises that there is
more info with Schedules Direct.
He is going to try both SD and tv_grab_nz-py to form a more informed
opinion.

For my part, I was quite impressed with the amount of info with the EIT.
From what I read it was quite limited but the screenshots suggest otherwise.
Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
On 7 Sep 2016 09:04, "Robert Fisher" <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:

> On 6 September 2016 at 05:14, skooobie doo <skooobie@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've been reading these latest emails and was wondering if I am missing
something or missing out in something. I have never used grabbers as I find
the over the air option easy and always up to date. Am I missing something?

> Skoobie and I have traded screenshots and he now realises that there is
more info with Schedules Direct.
> He is going to try both SD and tv_grab_nz-py to form a more informed
opinion.

> For my part, I was quite impressed with the amount of info with the EIT.
From what I read it was quite limited but the screenshots suggest otherwise.

I could never get EIT data working with DVB terrestrial in mythtv. I never
bothered with mhegsnoop, and tv_grab_nz-py is missing channels.

So, for me SD is a definite improvement over other options.
Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
Why was the EIT not working for you? I have set this up many times without
fail on different systems and mythtv versions. What do the backend logs
tell you when you run mythfill? Run with tail -f when you execute the
command...

Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
On 7 September 2016 at 17:30, skooobie doo <skooobie@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why was the EIT not working for you? I have set this up many times without
> fail on different systems and mythtv versions. What do the backend logs tell
> you when you run mythfill? Run with tail -f when you execute the command...
>

> On 7/09/2016 09:15, "Curtis Walker" <sultanoswing@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Skoobie and I have traded screenshots and he now realises that there is
>> > more info with Schedules Direct.
>> > He is going to try both SD and tv_grab_nz-py to form a more informed
>> > opinion.
>> >
>> > For my part, I was quite impressed with the amount of info with the EIT.
>> > From what I read it was quite limited but the screenshots suggest otherwise.

>> I could never get EIT data working with DVB terrestrial in mythtv. I never
>> bothered with mhegsnoop, and tv_grab_nz-py is missing channels.
>>
>> So, for me SD is a definite improvement over other options.

No idea why the EIT never worked properly. Didn't ever bother looking
into it as Had's script and data was adequate, and now the SD data is
working even better.

Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
Cool. I suppose doesn't matter how as long as the schedules are grabbed. By
the way will the SD continue or will this be a paid feature in time?

Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
See
http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2841

Robert Fisher

Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
On 7 September 2016 at 20:03, Karl -skooobie <skooobie@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cool. I suppose doesn't matter how as long as the schedules are grabbed. By
> the way will the SD continue or will this be a paid feature in time?

SD is currently in "alpha" as a trial, with a 90-day coupon code
available. I expect if the trial is successful i.e. enough people
indicate interest and sign up to the trial, then it will continue as a
paid feature.

In other territories it costs $25USD per year. If you are like me and
didn't read the forum thread at schedules direct announcing the
Aust/NZ region as being available as a 90-day free trial, then you can
pay the $25 now & hope the trial is successful (avoiding the need to
ask for a refund if it isn't).

Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
On 7 September 2016 at 09:14, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing@gmail.com> wrote:

> I could never get EIT data working with DVB terrestrial in mythtv. I never
> bothered with mhegsnoop, and tv_grab_nz-py is missing channels.
>
> So, for me SD is a definite improvement over other options.

I have recently tried/played with EIT, tv_grab_nz-py and Schedules Direct
and because it is fresh in my mind last night helped someone (assisted by
TeamViewer and Duo) to change their grabber.

I am happy to help others too (as I am sure there are others on this list
happy to help).

--
Robert Fisher
Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the offer. I've recently installed tv_grab_nz-py to have a play with it. There are a couple of problems so far:

1. It crashes in 'configure' mode when it reaches Maori TV, which has an A-macron unicode character. I have fixed that; if anyone wants a copy of the modified script, please say.

2. When run under MythTV (as opposed to on the command line) in 'configure' mode, the channels presented for the user to select from are all invisible; they are all displayed *after* the selection process has finished - not a lot of use! I hope to fix that soon (I think it's to do with the use of the raw_input function)

Having got round those, by running on the command line in 'configure' mode, I need to know what to name and where to put the config file generated. Is it in ~/.mythtv, or ~mythtv/.mythtv, or ... ? And named what?

Austin.

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 14:10:25 +1200

Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
On 13/09/16 16:46, Austin Green wrote:
> Having got round those, by running on the command line in 'configure' mode, I need to know what to name and where to put the config file generated. Is it in ~/.mythtv, or ~mythtv/.mythtv, or ... ? And named what?

Note that the configuration file name must match that name of the video
source configured in mythtv-setup for the
mythbackend/mythfilldatabase to use this grabber.

If you run configure as your username it will be put into

/home/yourusername/.mythtv

You also need to symlink otherwise mythfilldatabase will not work
automatically (it uses the user mythtv)
e.g.
sudo ln
-s/home/yourusername/.mythtv/Freeview.xmltv/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Freeview.xmltv
Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
On 13/09/16 16:46, Austin Green wrote:
> 1. It crashes in 'configure' mode when it reaches Maori TV, which has an A-macron unicode character. I have fixed that; if anyone wants a copy of the modified script, please say.
Maybe Hadley should have it on his website so that it works for everybody.

Re: Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py [ In reply to ]
Update: I have now also fixed problem 2 (the 'invisible output' on MythTV) - new version of the script available for those that want it.
Austin.