Mailing List Archive

Upgrading Debian Jessie Mythtv from 0.27 to 0.28
So I've followed the instructions at
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Debian
and it has built all the packages very nicely. However, the instructions
on actually installing all the deb files is totally lacking.

I suppose I could just wildly use "dpkg -i" on all the files except that
some are duplicates depending on the type of install and there is no
indication on whether i have to manually un-install 0.27 first.

I tried copying them all the "/var/cache/apt/archive" and running
"dpkg -i mythtv_0.28.0+fixes.20160728.e5ce273-0ubuntu3_all.deb"
which is (apparently) the top level file, followed by
"apt-get -f install"
but none of the dependencies were installed (it didn't even look for them!!)

Has anyone done this and managed to use standard command line (or even
gui!) stuff to do an upgrade that is not coming from a 'net located
repository?

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks

Re: Upgrading Debian Jessie Mythtv from 0.27 to 0.28 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 19:28:28 +1200, you wrote:

>So I've followed the instructions at
>https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Debian
>and it has built all the packages very nicely. However, the instructions
>on actually installing all the deb files is totally lacking.
>
>I suppose I could just wildly use "dpkg -i" on all the files except that
>some are duplicates depending on the type of install and there is no
>indication on whether i have to manually un-install 0.27 first.
>
>I tried copying them all the "/var/cache/apt/archive" and running
>"dpkg -i mythtv_0.28.0+fixes.20160728.e5ce273-0ubuntu3_all.deb"
>which is (apparently) the top level file, followed by
>"apt-get -f install"
>but none of the dependencies were installed (it didn't even look for them!!)
>
>Has anyone done this and managed to use standard command line (or even
>gui!) stuff to do an upgrade that is not coming from a 'net located
>repository?
>
>Cheers

I am not a packaging guru, but I thought that dpkg was so low level it
did not check for dependencies - you need to use apt or apt-get or
aptitude for that. If the packages are built with the right
dependencies, then they may automatically force the removal of the
0.27 packages, but probably only if you use apt-get dist-upgrade.

Maybe you need to somehow set up your own local PPA repository and set
up a .list file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d so point to it using a
file:/// type URL. Or put it on your MythTV web server under /var/www
somewhere (eg /var/www/mythtv-0.28-fixes) and access it using a local

Re: Upgrading Debian Jessie Mythtv from 0.27 to 0.28 [ In reply to ]
Hey,

On Mon, 2016-08-01 at 19:28 +1200, Robin Gilks wrote:
> I suppose I could just wildly use "dpkg -i" on all the files except
> that
> some are duplicates depending on the type of install and there is no
> indication on whether i have to manually un-install 0.27 first.

I suspect that this is what the wiki page intends. Do you need to
uninstall 0.27 first? Depends on how you installed 0.27. You'd
typically have to run:

 dpkg -i <list all the .debs that you need to install>

Why the long list? Because various packages you've built will depend on
some of the other packages you've built.

Then play whack-a-mole on the dependencies as dpkg won't install the
dependencies if they're missing. It'll just refuse to install the .deb.
This is where apt-get comes in...

> I tried copying them all the "/var/cache/apt/archive" and running
> "dpkg -i mythtv_0.28.0+fixes.20160728.e5ce273-0ubuntu3_all.deb"
> which is (apparently) the top level file,  followed by
> "apt-get -f install"
> but none of the dependencies were installed (it didn't even look for
> them!!)

dpkg -i won't look any files in /var/cache/apt/archive, only apt-get
will look in there.  But this directory is merely a cache of packages
that have been downloaded form Debian repositories. apt-get will only
look for files that it knows about - those that exist in repositories.
But as Stephen points on his reply, as the packages aren't in a
repository...

> Has anyone done this and managed to use standard command line (or
> even
> gui!) stuff to do an upgrade that is not coming from a 'net located
> repository?

You'll have to do what I say way up at the top of the email...

Another option is that you use the deb-multimedia repository which has
MythTV packages for Debian all ready and go. Add this line to
/etc/apt/sources.list (or make a new file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d
).

deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org jessie main non-free

Then run:

apt-get update
apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring
apt-get install mythtv

You can also install either mythtv-frontend or mythtv-backend (or
both!).

I used the packages here for ages, then I had to do some custom builds
of MythTV due to running a Via Epia frontend, I put all of them into my
personal .deb repository to ease installation. But I expect to switch
back to deb-multimedia in the nearish future, once I can upgrade from
0.24...

Cheers,
Andrew

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
andrew@etc.gen.nz | linux.conf.au 2016

Re: Upgrading Debian Jessie Mythtv from 0.27 to 0.28 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2016-08-01 at 20:03 +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> I am not a packaging guru, but I thought that dpkg was so low level
> it
> did not check for dependencies - you need to use apt or apt-get or
> aptitude for that.  If the packages are built with the right
> dependencies, then they may automatically force the removal of the
> 0.27 packages, but probably only if you use apt-get dist-upgrade.

Yes and no.

dpkg will check for dependencies, but won't install them for you. It
just tries to install the .deb that you specify, and doesn't know how
to fetch other .deb's.

If the packages have the same names, they'll replace the 0.27 packages.
If there are packages which are no longer required for 0.28, and the
packages have been built sanely and conflict with the old packages,
then they'll be removed. But it depends on where the 0.27 packages came
from.

dist-upgrade is a slightly different beast.

Pretty easy to find any old packages and remove them. Something like:

dpkg -l | grep ^ii | grep 0.27

And eyeballing the output would work.

> Maybe you need to somehow set up your own local PPA repository and
> set
> up a .list file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d so point to it using a
> file:/// type URL.  Or put it on your MythTV web server under
> /var/www
> somewhere (eg /var/www/mythtv-0.28-fixes) and access it using a local

This would allow using apt-get which then simplifies the installation
process, and would also allow them to be easily installed on other
computers in the network.

This is more or less what I do.

Cheers,
Andrew