Mailing List Archive

In place upgrade of Mythbuntu 16.04.1
In case anyone is thinking of doing the same.

Took the plunge this morning and did an in place upgrade of Mythbuntu 14.04.1
to 16.04.1.

The install went smoothly and currently recording a random program to make
sure the tuners loaded OK. Seems fine.

Things that didn't work:
1. Mythweb didn't work off the bat - had to install the php-db package to make
it work. Once I had figured out that it seems to be OK.
2. Plexmediaserver worked fine but plexWatch web interface didn't. You need to
install the packages php-sqlite3 and php7.0-sqlite3 and then that seems to be
OK.
3. KODI - THIS DOESN'T WORK. You can't install without removing your entire
mythtv install...

Kodi requires libtag1v5 while mythtv requires libtag1c2a. If you try to
install libtag1v5 then you are asked to remove all the following packages:

libmyth-0.28-0 libtag1-vanilla libtag1c2a mytharchive mythbrowser mythbuntu-
bare-client mythbuntu-desktop mythgallery mythmusic mythnetvision mythnews
mythtv mythtv-backend mythtv-backend-master mythtv-common mythtv-database
mythtv-dbg mythtv-frontend mythtv-theme-mythbuntu mythtv-transcode-utils
mythweather mythweb

Haven't yet found a work around for this yet.

--
Regards
Scott Newton

Re: In place upgrade of Mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Scott Newton <scottn@quantumchaos451.co.nz>
wrote:

> In case anyone is thinking of doing the same.
>
> Took the plunge this morning and did an in place upgrade of Mythbuntu
> 14.04.1
> to 16.04.1.
>
> The install went smoothly and currently recording a random program to make
> sure the tuners loaded OK. Seems fine.
>
> Things that didn't work:
> 1. Mythweb didn't work off the bat - had to install the php-db package to
> make
> it work. Once I had figured out that it seems to be OK.
> 2. Plexmediaserver worked fine but plexWatch web interface didn't. You
> need to
> install the packages php-sqlite3 and php7.0-sqlite3 and then that seems to
> be
> OK.
> 3. KODI - THIS DOESN'T WORK. You can't install without removing your entire
> mythtv install...
>
> Kodi requires libtag1v5 while mythtv requires libtag1c2a. If you try to
> install libtag1v5 then you are asked to remove all the following packages:
>
> libmyth-0.28-0 libtag1-vanilla libtag1c2a mytharchive mythbrowser
> mythbuntu-
> bare-client mythbuntu-desktop mythgallery mythmusic mythnetvision mythnews
> mythtv mythtv-backend mythtv-backend-master mythtv-common mythtv-database
> mythtv-dbg mythtv-frontend mythtv-theme-mythbuntu mythtv-transcode-utils
> mythweather mythweb
>
> Haven't yet found a work around for this yet.

Are you using the ubuntu lodi package, or the team-xbmc ppa? Better to use
the latter.

Re: In place upgrade of Mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 01 Aug 2016 11:41:00 +1200, Scott Newton
<scottn@quantumchaos451.co.nz> wrote:

> In case anyone is thinking of doing the same.
>
> Took the plunge this morning and did an in place upgrade of Mythbuntu
> 14.04.1
> to 16.04.1.
>
> The install went smoothly and currently recording a random program tomake
> sure the tuners loaded OK. Seems fine.
>
> Things that didn't work:
> 1. Mythweb didn't work off the bat - had to install the php-db packageto
> make
> it work. Once I had figured out that it seems to be OK.
> 2. Plexmediaserver worked fine but plexWatch web interface didn't. You
> need to
> install the packages php-sqlite3 and php7.0-sqlite3 and then that seems
> to be
> OK.
> 3. KODI - THIS DOESN'T WORK. You can't install without removing your
> entire
> mythtv install...
>
> Kodi requires libtag1v5 while mythtv requires libtag1c2a. If you try to
> install libtag1v5 then you are asked to remove all the followingpackages:
>
> libmyth-0.28-0 libtag1-vanilla libtag1c2a mytharchive mythbrowser
> mythbuntu-
> bare-client mythbuntu-desktop mythgallery mythmusic mythnetvisionmythnews
> mythtv mythtv-backend mythtv-backend-master mythtv-commonmythtv-database
> mythtv-dbg mythtv-frontend mythtv-theme-mythbuntu mythtv-transcode-utils
> mythweather mythweb
>
> Haven't yet found a work around for this yet.

Be aware of this bug if you change mysql options in myth control center
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mythbuntu-common/+bug/1576767
Re: In place upgrade of Mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
On Monday, 1 August 2016 11:41:00 AM NZST Scott Newton wrote:
> 3. KODI - THIS DOESN'T WORK. You can't install without removing your entire
> mythtv install...
>
> Kodi requires libtag1v5 while mythtv requires libtag1c2a. If you try to
> install libtag1v5 then you are asked to remove all the following packages:

I'm using the team-xbmc ppa

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu xenial main

--
Regards
Scott Newton

Re: In place upgrade of Mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
On Monday, 1 August 2016 12:04:57 PM NZST Paulgir wrote:
> Be aware of this bug if you change mysql options in myth control center
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mythbuntu-common/+bug/1576767

Thanks for that. I didn't have the tweaks enabled so I was OK.

--
Regards
Scott Newton

Re: In place upgrade of Mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 01 Aug 2016 12:12:37 +1200, you wrote:

>On Monday, 1 August 2016 12:04:57 PM NZST Paulgir wrote:
>> Be aware of this bug if you change mysql options in myth control center
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mythbuntu-common/+bug/1576767
>
>Thanks for that. I didn't have the tweaks enabled so I was OK.

Best to enable the tweaks then. They are needed if your database
grows. Just edit the /etc/conf.d/mythtv-tweaks.cnf file and change
the table_cache line to table_open_cache.

And anyone reading this who is not yet on 16.04 should check their
tweaks file and make the same change NOW. The syntax change happened
several years ago and the change should have been done then, but it
was not noticed and now the old syntax no longer works in MySQL 5.7.
Upgrading does not work well if mysql will not start after the
upgrade.

Re: In place upgrade of Mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
> Best to enable the tweaks then. They are needed if your database
> grows. Just edit the /etc/conf.d/mythtv-tweaks.cnf file and change
> the table_cache line to table_open_cache.
>
> And anyone reading this who is not yet on 16.04 should check their
> tweaks file and make the same change NOW. The syntax change happened
> several years ago and the change should have been done then, but it
> was not noticed and now the old syntax no longer works in MySQL 5.7.
> Upgrading does not work well if mysql will not start after the
> upgrade.

Thank you. But that file does not exist
(/etc/conf.d/mythtv-tweaks.cnf). Should I create it?

Worik

--
Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
worik.stanton@gmail.com 021-1680650, (03) 4821804

Re: In place upgrade of Mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 17:24:36 +1200, you wrote:

>On 01/08/16 15:08, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> Best to enable the tweaks then. They are needed if your database
>> grows. Just edit the /etc/conf.d/mythtv-tweaks.cnf file and change
>> the table_cache line to table_open_cache.
>>
>> And anyone reading this who is not yet on 16.04 should check their
>> tweaks file and make the same change NOW. The syntax change happened
>> several years ago and the change should have been done then, but it
>> was not noticed and now the old syntax no longer works in MySQL 5.7.
>> Upgrading does not work well if mysql will not start after the
>> upgrade.
>
>Thank you. But that file does not exist
>(/etc/conf.d/mythtv-tweaks.cnf). Should I create it?
>
>Worik

No, you use Mythbuntu Control Centre to create it. On its MySQL tab,
set the "Enable MySQL performance tweaks" option. Then, as soon as
you have done that and before you restart MySQL, do the edit on the
table_cache option.

And while you are there, you really also should have the "Enable daily
MySQL Optimize/Repair cron job" option ticked. Doing a daily check
and (if necessary) repair of the database is important to prevent
database corruption. In all the cases of database corruption I have
seen posts about, there have been none that happened on machines doing
the daily check, except where there has been an obvious cause such as
a power failure while the database was being updated. Without the
daily check and repair, it seems that corruption creeps into the
database unnoticed, until it gets bad enough to crash the database.
With the daily check and repair, errors in the database are fixed
before they can get to the point of causing a crash.

Re: In place upgrade of Mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 01 Aug 2016 17:24:36 +1200, worik <worik.stanton@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/08/16 15:08, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> Best to enable the tweaks then. They are needed if your database
>> grows. Just edit the /etc/conf.d/mythtv-tweaks.cnf file and change
>> the table_cache line to table_open_cache.
>>
>> And anyone reading this who is not yet on 16.04 should check their
>> tweaks file and make the same change NOW. The syntax change happened
>> several years ago and the change should have been done then, but it
>> was not noticed and now the old syntax no longer works in MySQL 5.7.
>> Upgrading does not work well if mysql will not start after the
>> upgrade.
>
> Thank you. But that file does not exist
> (/etc/conf.d/mythtv-tweaks.cnf). Should I create it?
>
> Worik

For anyone looking for this file and failing to find it, it is actually:
/etc/mysql/conf.d/mythtv-tweaks.cnf