Mailing List Archive

Secure MythWeb with Mythbuntu 16.04
I want to secure Mythweb on my new Mythbuntu 16.04 installation but the
latest instructions I could find were for 12.04.
Are they still valid or can someone point me to a better howto?

https://francisfisher.me.uk/problem/2012/secure-mythweb-with-mythbuntu-12-04/

--
Robert Fisher
Re: Secure MythWeb with Mythbuntu 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 16:21:20 +1200, you wrote:

>I want to secure Mythweb on my new Mythbuntu 16.04 installation but the
>latest instructions I could find were for 12.04.
>Are they still valid or can someone point me to a better howto?
>
>https://francisfisher.me.uk/problem/2012/secure-mythweb-with-mythbuntu-12-04/

I presume you are wanting access to mythweb from outside your home
network. It is likely that some variant of those old instructions
would work, but my preferred solution, which I feel is much more
secure, is to have OpenVPN set up on my home network so that I can
have full access to the network from the outside with complete
security. That way as well as access to mythweb, I can also use VNC
for full access to desktops, and copy files and just about anything a
PC on the local network can do. Correctly set up, OpenVPN has as good
security as anything that is freely available, and is supposed to
prevent even the NSA from being able to decrypt it or gain access.

Apache has had a number of security problems over the years, and is
complicated to set up properly, so I would not trust it to be
accessible from the outside world. As well, having open http or https
port will attract hacking attempts - I see them every day in my web
server logs. But since my web server runs on my old OS/2 box, none of
the attempted hacks ever work in the slightest, since the hackers have
no idea how it works. And it is very simple to configure safely, as
it is of very limited capability and has simple to configure security
measures.