Anybody here have any comments? Performance?

--
Robert Fisher
Re: Raspberry Pi as a frontend [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 2:44 PM, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:

> My frontend in my garage / gym blew its power supply this morning (Dell
> Optiplex 780)
>
> Rather than get a new power supply or computer I thought about replacing
> it with a Raspberry Pi.
>
> Anybody here have any comments? Performance?

Pi 0,1,2 or 3?

I would go for a 3 and (as usual) run kodi on it - LibreELEC.
Re: Raspberry Pi as a frontend [ In reply to ]
Another question: if I do get a Raspberry Pi, what would be the recommended
OS?

LibreELEC? OSMC?

--
Robert Fisher
Re: Raspberry Pi as a frontend [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:

> Another question: if I do get a Raspberry Pi, what would be the
> recommended OS?
>
> LibreELEC? OSMC?

LibreELEC (NB I am part of their team so biased).

Re: Raspberry Pi as a frontend [ In reply to ]
Yes I was happily using LibreELEC before the explosion this morning.

On 19 July 2016 at 15:03, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz>
> wrote:
>
>> Another question: if I do get a Raspberry Pi, what would be the
>> recommended OS?
>>
>> LibreELEC? OSMC?
>>

> LibreELEC (NB I am part of their team so biased).
>

>> On 19 July 2016 at 14:44, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
>>
>>> My frontend in my garage / gym blew its power supply this morning (Dell
>>> Optiplex 780)
>>>
>>> Rather than get a new power supply or computer I thought about replacing
>>> it with a Raspberry Pi.
>>>
>>> Anybody here have any comments? Performance?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Robert Fisher
>>>

>> --
>> Robert Fisher

Robert Fisher
Re: Raspberry Pi as a frontend [ In reply to ]
Download, write to SD card, insert to rpi, and away.

Re: Raspberry Pi as a frontend [ In reply to ]
Hey,

There's been a bunch of work on getting the MythTV frontend running on
Raspbian on the RPi 3. See: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

I haven't tried this yet, but last week I bought a RPi 3 for this, I'm
just waiting for a remote control to be delivered. ;)

Cheers,
Andrew

On Tue, 2016-07-19 at 14:44 +1200, Robert Fisher wrote:
> My frontend in my garage / gym blew its power supply this morning
> (Dell Optiplex 780)
>
> Rather than get a new power supply or computer I thought about
> replacing it with a Raspberry Pi.
>
> Anybody here have any comments? Performance?
>
> --
> Robert Fisher

Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
andrew@etc.gen.nz | linux.conf.au 2016
New Zealand's only Cloud: | LCA By the Bay, Geelong, AU
https://catalyst.net.nz/cloud | http://lca2016.linux.org.au

Re: Raspberry Pi as a frontend [ In reply to ]
Pi3, works great as a front end, the scheduler needed some work last time i
used it but, mythweb is still there

If your tv can do HDMI/CEC your all set

On 19 July 2016 at 15:03, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz>
> wrote:
>
>> Another question: if I do get a Raspberry Pi, what would be the
>> recommended OS?
>>
>> LibreELEC? OSMC?
>>

> LibreELEC (NB I am part of their team so biased).
>

>> On 19 July 2016 at 14:44, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
>>
>>> My frontend in my garage / gym blew its power supply this morning (Dell
>>> Optiplex 780)
>>>
>>> Rather than get a new power supply or computer I thought about replacing
>>> it with a Raspberry Pi.
>>>
>>> Anybody here have any comments? Performance?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Robert Fisher
>>>

>> --
>> Robert Fisher

"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calvin
Re: Raspberry Pi as a frontend [ In reply to ]
Pine 64 is a better alternative

Re: Raspberry Pi as a frontend [ In reply to ]
On 19/07/16 17:01, skooobie doo wrote:
> Pine 64 is a better alternative

Can you supply some supporting facts rather than just dumping out an
opinion ?

Why is it better for you ?

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: Raspberry Pi as a frontend [ In reply to ]
Sorry, didn't mean to dump. For me this is why below. But if only for myth
frontend then Pi is easily adequate. In any case these keep getting
smaller, faster, cheaper and more powerful.

More than just for mythtv. Better to handle an overall media system, incl
media conversion.

Cheaper and faster
Gigabit ethernet port
Additional IO pins and options
4k Video support

Quad-core ARM Cortex A53 1.2GHz processor, dual-core Mali 400 MP2 graphics,
support for up to 2GB of DDR3 SDRAM, a microSD slot (which can handle cards
up to 256GB), up to gigabit ethernet, two USB 2.0 ports, one HDMI 1.4
connector offering 4K output and both a stereo mini-jack connector and
built-in 3.7V Lithium battery charging circuit.

Currently about half the price of Pi2.

Re: Raspberry Pi as a frontend [ In reply to ]
...and now I realise that its hardware, not a software distro!

On 19/07/16 19:24, skooobie doo wrote:
> Sorry, didn't mean to dump. For me this is why below. But if only for
> myth frontend then Pi is easily adequate. In any case these keep getting
> smaller, faster, cheaper and more powerful.
>
> More than just for mythtv. Better to handle an overall media system,
> incl media conversion.
>
> Cheaper and faster
> Gigabit ethernet port
> Additional IO pins and options
> 4k Video support
>
> Quad-core ARM Cortex A53 1.2GHz processor, dual-core Mali 400 MP2
> graphics, support for up to 2GB of DDR3 SDRAM, a microSD slot (which can
> handle cards up to 256GB), up to gigabit ethernet, two USB 2.0 ports,
> one HDMI 1.4 connector offering 4K output and both a stereo mini-jack
> connector and built-in 3.7V Lithium battery charging circuit.
>
> Currently about half the price of Pi2.
>

> On 19 July 2016 at 18:47, criggie <criggie@criggie.org.nz
> <mailto:criggie@criggie.org.nz>> wrote:
>
> On 19/07/16 17:01, skooobie doo wrote:
> > Pine 64 is a better alternative
>
> Can you supply some supporting facts rather than just dumping out an
> opinion ?
>
> Why is it better for you ?
>

> --
> Criggie
>
> http://criggie.org.nz/

Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: Raspberry Pi as a frontend [ In reply to ]
I am in the process of changing to using a Raspberry Pi 3. I am running
MythTV front end as a plug-in in KODI. In this way I can integrate
everything together including NetFlix (for NetFlix I am using PlayOn.tv).
The speed and quality of the video is excellent. The power consumption is
only about 3 Watts. The only real problems is very limited menus and there
are many things you can not do as you would on a normal front end.

Re: Raspberry Pi as a frontend [ In reply to ]
Been happily running OSMC/Kodi as a frontend on a first generation pi model
b in my home theatre for 2-3 years now. You need to pay a licence fee to
get the video codecs, and enter a licence key in a config file, but there
is a GUI menu in Kodi for this. Other than that, same as any other front
end.

My home theatre system has no HDMI input. The best solution I've found was
to put an HDMI switch that splits out the audio to spdif.

I can access myth for live TV and for recordings. The rest of my media
lives in a Nas.