Mailing List Archive

Starting from LIRC
Running an Ubuntu-derived OS on my server, where I run MythTV backend and frontend. I have a script which starts up mythfrontend, and this is hooked up via lirc to a button on my remote. It works fine as long as I have logged in at the server console (as myself, not as mythtv) through the normal GUI login screen; if there is nobody logged in that way, the script fails to launch mythfrontend, complaining about inability to open the X display. AFAIK, X is started up even before anybody is logged in, but I may be assuming too much there. Anyone else done this successfully? Are there some tricks I should know about? The script runs with my user id, not lirc or mythtv or root, in case that makes a difference.

Re: Starting from LIRC [ In reply to ]
It's been a long time since I've thought about this, so I might be
mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that X is started by the user, rather than as
a system process.

Remember the good ol' days of logging in on TTY1, then running "startx"?

GDM/XDM/KDM/LightDM etc are display managers, but don't run a full X
session.

As for making it work, you'll need help from someone who knows what they're
doing!

Rory

Re: Starting from LIRC [ In reply to ]
On 14/07/16 18:24, Austin Green wrote:
> Running an Ubuntu-derived OS on my server, where I run MythTV backend and frontend. I have a script which starts up mythfrontend, and this is hooked up via lirc to a button on my remote. It works fine as long as I have logged in at the server console (as myself, not as mythtv) through the normal GUI login screen; if there is nobody logged in that way, the script fails to launch mythfrontend, complaining about inability to open the X display. AFAIK, X is started up even before anybody is logged in, but I may be assuming too much there. Anyone else done this successfully? Are there some tricks I should know about? The script runs with my user id, not lirc or mythtv or root, in case that makes a difference.

Sounds to me like your button-press is like a hotkey on your keyboard
(remember media keys? One button for web, one for email, one for ... etc)

So its like running the mythfrontend command in an xterm - you already
have an X session running on your monitor.

I've done this completely the other way around, but my frontend is a
dedicated frontend and only runs mythfrontend. Do you want the full
dump on that, or do you use your combo myth box for other things, like
being a desktop?

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: Starting from LIRC [ In reply to ]
Sounds as if you may have hit on the answer. So I just need to run startx,
or whatever modern equivalent, from my script. Cheers, I'll give it a go.
Austin.