Mailing List Archive

Rescan, now can't play LiveTV
*Mumble* Stooopid HGTV and Bravo channels....grumble...."making" me do
a full re-scan...*moan*....now liveTV ("Watch TV") isn't working...

As above, with this month's new FreeviewHD channels Bravo and HGTV
(until they fold / are replaced by even crappier channels next month)
I foolishly did a full rescan and now liveTV doesn't work i.e.
selecting 'Watch TV' results in nothing, with a terminal error that
LiveTV window couldn't be opened.

I haven't touched or altered any storage directory locations or permissions.

It's always confused me how after a scan there are multiple versions
of the same channels, which conflict, and multiple unassigned
channels.

Have tried deleting the input source ("FreeviewHD") and starting
afresh in mythtv-setup, but although the channels are found on a
rescan, and have the correct names and channel numbers and service
ID's, still no live TV.

Am in Palmerston North, using Whārite transmitter, if that's helpful info.

Re: Rescan, now can't play LiveTV [ In reply to ]
On 5 July 2016 at 16:47, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Mumble* Stooopid HGTV and Bravo channels....grumble...."making" me do
> a full re-scan...*moan*....now liveTV ("Watch TV") isn't working...
>
> As above, with this month's new FreeviewHD channels Bravo and HGTV
> (until they fold / are replaced by even crappier channels next month)
> I foolishly did a full rescan and now liveTV doesn't work i.e.
> selecting 'Watch TV' results in nothing, with a terminal error that
> LiveTV window couldn't be opened.
>
> I haven't touched or altered any storage directory locations or permissions.
>
> It's always confused me how after a scan there are multiple versions
> of the same channels, which conflict, and multiple unassigned
> channels.
>
> Have tried deleting the input source ("FreeviewHD") and starting
> afresh in mythtv-setup, but although the channels are found on a
> rescan, and have the correct names and channel numbers and service
> ID's, still no live TV.
>
> Am in Palmerston North, using Whārite transmitter, if that's helpful info.

Sorry, as a followup to my own message, I have just realised that I
can record programmes & watch them back as recordings, so the tuner(s)
(HVR-2200) are locked in OK, and the EPG (via tv_grab_nz-py) is
functioning. Arch Linux box, by the way.

Hmmmm....

Re: Rescan, now can't play LiveTV [ In reply to ]
On 5 July 2016 at 17:41, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 July 2016 at 16:47, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing@gmail.com> wrote:
>> *Mumble* Stooopid HGTV and Bravo channels....grumble...."making" me do
>> a full re-scan...*moan*....now liveTV ("Watch TV") isn't working...
>>
>> As above, with this month's new FreeviewHD channels Bravo and HGTV
>> (until they fold / are replaced by even crappier channels next month)
>> I foolishly did a full rescan and now liveTV doesn't work i.e.
>> selecting 'Watch TV' results in nothing, with a terminal error that
>> LiveTV window couldn't be opened.
>>
>> I haven't touched or altered any storage directory locations or permissions.
>>
>> It's always confused me how after a scan there are multiple versions
>> of the same channels, which conflict, and multiple unassigned
>> channels.
>>
>> Have tried deleting the input source ("FreeviewHD") and starting
>> afresh in mythtv-setup, but although the channels are found on a
>> rescan, and have the correct names and channel numbers and service
>> ID's, still no live TV.
>>
>> Am in Palmerston North, using Whārite transmitter, if that's helpful info.
>
> Sorry, as a followup to my own message, I have just realised that I
> can record programmes & watch them back as recordings, so the tuner(s)
> (HVR-2200) are locked in OK, and the EPG (via tv_grab_nz-py) is
> functioning. Arch Linux box, by the way.
>
> Hmmmm....

[SOLVED]

Turns out my httpd.service had failed (thanks to me accidentally
deleting the folder '/var/log/httpd' for another reason).

I noticed my mythbackend.service file needed httpd.service before it
would start. Odd that it started nonetheless with no apparent errors
except silently failing to play LiveTV.

Oh well, all is back working as expected.

Re: Rescan, now can't play LiveTV [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 11:01:12PM +1200, Curtis Walker wrote:
> > Sorry, as a followup to my own message, I have just realised that I
> > can record programmes & watch them back as recordings, so the tuner(s)
> > (HVR-2200) are locked in OK, and the EPG (via tv_grab_nz-py) is
> > functioning. Arch Linux box, by the way.
>
> Turns out my httpd.service had failed (thanks to me accidentally
> deleting the folder '/var/log/httpd' for another reason).

Weird, so it refuses to start if it can't write logs?
There should be *some* log of the error somewhere, surely?

--
The media's the most powerful entity on earth.
They have the power to make the innocent guilty

Re: Rescan, now can't play LiveTV [ In reply to ]
On 16 July 2016 at 23:46, <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 11:01:12PM +1200, Curtis Walker wrote:
>> > Sorry, as a followup to my own message, I have just realised that I
>> > can record programmes & watch them back as recordings, so the tuner(s)
>> > (HVR-2200) are locked in OK, and the EPG (via tv_grab_nz-py) is
>> > functioning. Arch Linux box, by the way.
>>
>> Turns out my httpd.service had failed (thanks to me accidentally
>> deleting the folder '/var/log/httpd' for another reason).
>
> Weird, so it refuses to start if it can't write logs?
> There should be *some* log of the error somewhere, surely?
>
> --
> The media's the most powerful entity on earth.
> They have the power to make the innocent guilty
> and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power.
> -- Malcolm X

Actually, I'm not sure what's going on with it. I can watch LiveTV on
a remote frontend, and everything works on the FE/BE combined machine
*except* LiveTV. Have fiddled with directory permissions, tried
starting mythbackend as different users, and adjusted nvidia drivers -
all to no avail.

When I get some spare time I'll try to dig through the logs. If I ever
get it diagnosed and fixed I'll report back!