--
"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calvin
Re: dvb-s usb [ In reply to ]
On 23/04/16 20:33, Jason Taylor wrote:
> Anybody know where to find a dvb-s usb tuner?

In the rubbish bin? Because that's where they belong.

Do yourself a favour and settle for nothing less than a HD Homerun.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: dvb-s usb [ In reply to ]
I must say that I was really impressed with my HDHomeRun.

Rob Fisher

Re: dvb-s usb [ In reply to ]
> On 23/04/16 20:33, Jason Taylor wrote:
>> Anybody know where to find a dvb-s usb tuner?
>
> In the rubbish bin? Because that's where they belong.
>
> Do yourself a favour and settle for nothing less than a HD Homerun.

Do they do a satellite version as well? I thought it was terrestrial or
cable only.

--
Robin Gilks

Re: dvb-s usb [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 20:33:01 +1200, you wrote:

>Anybody know where to find a dvb-s usb tuner?
>
>Cheers

I have a TBS5922 DVB-S2 USB tuner. There are later models now,
including dual tuners. I got mine from BuyDVB:

http://www.buydvb.net/dvbs2s-tv-tuner-usb-c-3.html

The TBS site is:

http://www.tbsdtv.com

All TBS products seem to have Linux support, but for the DVB-S/S2
models you often have to compile their drivers, which is a pain
because you have to do it every time there is a new kernel installed.
Also, that means you are using their source code for all the V4L
drivers, including for your other tuners, so if their code for one of
your other tuners does not work, you have a real problem getting
around that. There apparently is an in-kernel driver now for my
TBS5922, but I have not tried it yet. They do update their drivers
regularly, and do have forums for questions, and will do support for
Linux.

It is best to always check the Linux support on the V4L site:

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-S2_USB_Devices

Another option for an external tuner is Ethernet. MythTV 0.28 has
just added support for the VBox tuners:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.28
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VBox
http://www.vboxcomm.com/product-page/satellite.html

Re: dvb-s usb [ In reply to ]
On 23/04/16 23:51, Robin Gilks wrote:
> Do they do a satellite version as well? I thought it was terrestrial or
> cable only.

Unfortunately not, there are only terrestrial ones

hads
--
http://nice.net.nz

Re: dvb-s usb [ In reply to ]
On 23/04/16 20:33, Jason Taylor wrote:
> Anybody know where to find a dvb-s usb tuner?

I think I have 2 external usb dvb-s tuners i'm not using right now which I
found on trade second hand a while ago.

These units have linux support and the only issue I know about them is that
they can get quite warm and they are passively cooled. Locating then
somewhere with some air flow is important or they will cause problems on
hit summer days.

One of them was missing a power supply but if I give it to you i'm sure a
power supply wouldn't be hard to source.

I also have a Hauppauge pci express card that does dvb-t/s/s2/c and has
linux support. These cards are I think more reliable than usb ones. Only
downside with this card is I think it may be single tuner so even though
dvb-t shows as separate to dvb-s only one will work at a time I think.
Haven't tested this yet though.

For recording freeview sat signal you only need a dvb-s tuner but dvb-s2
ones should be backwards compatible. If you somehow manged to record sky
then a dvb-s tuner is all you need for all channels bar the few duplicated
hd channels but at some point soon they will be migrating to all dvb-s2. I
can't see freeview changing any time soon though.
Re: dvb-s usb [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 17:31:25 +1200, you wrote:

>On 23/04/16 20:33, Jason Taylor wrote:
>> Anybody know where to find a dvb-s usb tuner?
>
>I think I have 2 external usb dvb-s tuners i'm not using right now which I
>found on trade second hand a while ago.
>
>These units have linux support and the only issue I know about them is that
>they can get quite warm and they are passively cooled. Locating then
>somewhere with some air flow is important or they will cause problems on
>hit summer days.
>
>One of them was missing a power supply but if I give it to you i'm sure a
>power supply wouldn't be hard to source.
>
>I also have a Hauppauge pci express card that does dvb-t/s/s2/c and has
>linux support. These cards are I think more reliable than usb ones. Only
>downside with this card is I think it may be single tuner so even though
>dvb-t shows as separate to dvb-s only one will work at a time I think.
>Haven't tested this yet though.
>
>For recording freeview sat signal you only need a dvb-s tuner but dvb-s2
>ones should be backwards compatible. If you somehow manged to record sky
>then a dvb-s tuner is all you need for all channels bar the few duplicated
>hd channels but at some point soon they will be migrating to all dvb-s2. I
>can't see freeview changing any time soon though.

You probably want a DVB-S2 tuner now for Prime, which is available in
HD from Sky. I am not sure if it is unencrypted like the other
channels Sky shares with Freeview. I intend to find out when I have
some spare time to tune it in and find out.

Re: dvb-s usb [ In reply to ]
I have a a couple of dvb-s pci cards already and a usb dvb-t that I was
using, just moved house and the roof only has a sky dish so I was thinking
a cheap dvb-s usb would be the easier option, really only getting setup for
the Olympics, It may just work out better to pay for a month of fanpass
anyway

Re: dvb-s usb [ In reply to ]